Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steuart Smith and the 3.0 lineup

Default Steuart Smith and the 3.0 lineup

Obviously there is a lot of tension amongst the fans on here about the Eagles 3.0 lineup. One question I have that I believe will not create conflict would be the way Steuart Smith is being treated. The band officially calls Vince and Deacon guests but they get to be on the band photo for releases as well as being part of the headline. But Steuart Smith is not mentioned. I know that he is largely a background musician who provides background vocals that aren’t vital to the sound. But he is basically Don Felder in his role in the band, he unlike Vince and Deacon has writing credits on songs including the brilliant WITW. He’s been around for over a decade. I believe that Steuart should at least be treated the same as Deacon and Vince if not better. This is no slight to Vince and Deacon but Steuart is in my mind more of an Eagle than The Glenn replacements and ought to be treated as such. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Steuart Smith and the 3.0 lineup

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Obviously there is a lot of tension amongst the fans on here about the Eagles 3.0 lineup. One question I have that I believe will not create conflict would be the way Steuart Smith is being treated. The band officially calls Vince and Deacon guests but they get to be on the band photo for releases as well as being part of the headline. But Steuart Smith is not mentioned. I know that he is largely a background musician who provides background vocals that aren’t vital to the sound. But he is basically Don Felder in his role in the band, he unlike Vince and Deacon has writing credits on songs including the brilliant WITW. He’s been around for over a decade. I believe that Steuart should at least be treated the same as Deacon and Vince if not better. This is no slight to Vince and Deacon but Steuart is in my mind more of an Eagle than The Glenn replacements and ought to be treated as such. What are your thoughts?
    I agree, YEF. Steuart is fantastic.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Steuart may be like Hugh McDonald and not mind being in the background, and may prefer it. Hugh has gotten much more face time since Richie Sambora left Bon Jovi, and is even included on T-shirts now, but I'm sure he would have been fine without it. Steuart seems like a quiet, humble man, and may not want all the fuss. The checks still cash the same at the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Steuart may be like Hugh McDonald and not mind being in the background, and may prefer it. Hugh has gotten much more face time since Richie Sambora left Bon Jovi, and is even included on T-shirts now, but I'm sure he would have been fine without it. Steuart seems like a quiet, humble man, and may not want all the fuss. The checks still cash the same at the bank.
    That's possible too.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Agreed. In my eyes Steuart is an actual member because of the writing and playing he did on LROOE (after already touring with the band).

Border Desperado

How was it he referred to himself in HOTE, "part collaborator, part hired gun"
    He did say though in no uncertain terms, "I'm not an Eagle".

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I always wondered this too about Steuart, but I forgot he did say that in the doc. Of course I always wondered too if it was so it looked like Felder didn't get replaced and to avoid any controversy with that. But I always saw him a bit as almost a member too with how long he's been with them now.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Steuart is living the life. He has the best of both worlds, he gets to tour and play with the guys and stand up front with them. He is no doubt handsomely rewarded financially, but he doesn't have any of the administrative responsibility. No promotional interviews, photos, press conferences, makeup, etc... - just playing on stage.

No doubt all of the Eagles backing musicians are important to the guys and the band, but none have ever been promoted to being an Eagle.

And as of right now (who knows when it will change) the way the band styles itself Deacon and Vince aren't Eagles either.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Steuart is living the life. He has the best of both worlds, he gets to tour and play with the guys and stand up front with them. He is no doubt handsomely rewarded financially, but he doesn't have any of the administrative responsibility. No promotional interviews, photos, press conferences, makeup, etc... - just playing on stage.
    No doubt all of the Eagles backing musicians are important to the guys and the band, but none have ever been promoted to being an Eagle.
    And as of right now (who knows when it will change) the way the band styles itself Deacon and Vince aren't Eagles either.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

Well I’ve said that the band doesn’t call them Eagles but they still treat them more as part of the band than Steuart Smith