Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturday night/ Eagles live

Border Desperado

Default Re: Saturday night/ Eagles live

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    When I bought Eagles Live (my first Eagles album), I wasn't aware of their back catalog. Saturday Night was one of my favorite tracks on the album and I've never considered it a lesser Eagles track. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't on their best selling Greatest Hits album. I consider(ed) Seven Bridges Road as the weakest track, by a distance.

After releasing The Long Run the band were reluctant to do a live album but they were persuaded to by the suits.

They recorded some live dates, including an acoustic set of Saturday Night, After The Thrill Is Gone, Keep On Tryin' (Schmit) and Seven Bridges Road. It's a great version of Saturday Night with a different line up to the one that originally recorded it.
    I'd like to see a full live album of the stuff they recorded in 1980 for Eagles Live. The Long Beach Concert would be a great set list for a live double album.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    When I bought Eagles Live (my first Eagles album), I wasn't aware of their back catalog. Saturday Night was one of my favorite tracks on the album and I've never considered it a lesser Eagles track. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't on their best selling Greatest Hits album. I consider(ed) Seven Bridges Road as the weakest track, by a distance.

After releasing The Long Run the band were reluctant to do a live album but they were persuaded to by the suits.

They recorded some live dates, including an acoustic set of Saturday Night, After The Thrill Is Gone, Keep On Tryin' (Schmit) and Seven Bridges Road. It's a great version of Saturday Night with a different line up to the one that originally recorded it.
    Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum. I’m just surprised why they put it on the album. I prefer Randy on it over Tim but that’s just me

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum. I’m just surprised why they put it on the album. I prefer Randy on it over Tim but that’s just me
    It's not just you.

Is there a video or recording of Tim singing on Saturday Night? I've never heard this. It's a great song, and underrated.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Is there a video or recording of Tim singing on Saturday Night? I've never heard this. It's a great song, and underrated.
    Conveniently, it's included in the samples you can listen to on Amazon. The "Desperado (Remastered)" has Randy and the "Eagles Live" has Timothy.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...y+night+eagles

Border Troubadour

Revived in 1980 for the acoustic set they did prior to kicking off the main gig at the Long Beach concerts. Revived in 2013 for a few reasons I would guess: slow and acoustic; from early in their career; the only song they ever wrote with every member of the band; and it requires minimal participation, allowing just Don and Glenn to perform it and build up the team from there.

It is one of my all-time favourite Eagles songs, I love every nanosecond of it, so I am pleased it has tread water for so long. It has a real CSN&Y, SoCal feel to it, and the simple guitar and layered harmonies make it a fine example of easy listening, country pop; which is why I guess it made it onto Eagles Live amongst all the other hard rock and HC-era work.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FgtqYbhWU

I looooove the mandolin in this version!

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I'd like to see a full live album of the stuff they recorded in 1980 for Eagles Live. The Long Beach Concert would be a great set list for a live double album.
    We have the Long Beach concert bootleg on here. It’s pretty good,I like how they played songs they didn’t do before

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Revived in 1980 for the acoustic set they did prior to kicking off the main gig at the Long Beach concerts. Revived in 2013 for a few reasons I would guess: slow and acoustic; from early in their career; the only song they ever wrote with every member of the band; and it requires minimal participation, allowing just Don and Glenn to perform it and build up the team from there.

It is one of my all-time favourite Eagles songs, I love every nanosecond of it, so I am pleased it has tread water for so long. It has a real CSN&Y, SoCal feel to it, and the simple guitar and layered harmonies make it a fine example of easy listening, country pop; which is why I guess it made it onto Eagles Live amongst all the other hard rock and HC-era work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FgtqYbhWU

I looooove the mandolin in this version!

I know they played with it just Don and Glenn but how does that work with just them two? Did some background musicians play like the mandolin? Did they just skip the other parts?

Stuck on the Border

The mandolin was played off-stage.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I know they played with it just Don and Glenn but how does that work with just them two? Did some background musicians play like the mandolin? Did they just skip the other parts?
    Steuart Smith played mandolin and Michael Thompson the accordion off-stage.