Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Stayed

Banned

Default Why I Stayed

On Jan. 18, 2016, I was in the final minutes of preparation for a radio talk show in Wichita when the news on Twitter first struck my eyes:
    "Eagles guitarist Glenn Frey dead at 67."

WHAT?!

For the next two hours, my co-host -- who happens to be my dad, another die-hard Eagles fan -- stumbled through two hours with our minds adrift. Our favorite band, the literal soundtrack of my life, was no more.

For the next 14 months, my Eagles fandom was mostly dormant. I still loved them, but it was more of a tribute than an active endeavor. I met Don Henley at a Runaway Tour event near Dallas and Joe Walsh at his concert in Kansas City.

I was moving on, but the Eagles' actual music wasn't often a part of my healing. I could rarely listen to it. I couldn't bear to watch History of the Eagles and I wasn't ready to listen to Glenn much, either. I cried when I watched a video of Lyin' Eyes from a HOTE concert not long before he passed.

Then, in March this year, I woke from an afternoon nap with news I was sure signaled my continued slumber. The Eagles -- wait, the Eagles? -- would regroup, reform and reunite for a pair of festival shows in Los Angeles and New York.

I had to be there!

Did I want to be there?

I bought a ticket to the Dodger Stadium show, but hesitation lingered. This wouldn't be the same band whose records I began listening to at my Grandma's house when I was 3. There would be no ex-wives named Plaintiff and no bass players professed to be The Prrrride of Saccarrrramennnto, Caleeeefornya.

I wasn't sure if I could be a part of a show without those things. Then I noticed something: I was watching History of the Eagles again -- almost every day leading up to the show. I was listening to Glenn's music without heartache and to the Eagles in celebration, not mourning. My lifelong love was ignited once more.

I needed to support Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Deacon Frey, whose hurt over Glenn's death exceeded mine exponentially. I needed to be in Southern California, the fertilizer of the Eagles' genius -- and yes, I needed to see if the music was still great.

It was. Not the same -- never the same -- but worthy of Glenn. The first words of Deacon's "Take it Easy," which I viewed from a couple hundred yards away, were as magical as anything I'd experienced at 30 Eagles concerts before that one.

I've stayed a fan of the band not because Vince Gill and Deacon replaced Glenn, but because Don, Joe and Tim were still singing Eagles songs in a group that happened two include a pair of new additions. I never chose Vince over Glenn because that choice never presented itself. There is one choice.

I've stayed an Eagles fan because of Glenn. It finally feels OK again to crank up "I Found Somebody" or "Better in the U.S.A." Vince Gill's addition to the band hasn't made me explore Vince's catalog further but to increase my appreciation for Glenn -- already off the charts -- and help the healing. I suspect that's why the Eagles are doing it, too.

I'll listen to "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" and "Take It Easy" thousands of more times and I'll witness Vince sing "New Kid In Town" maybe another five times. There is no comparison and there never was or will be. Being a fan of the band doesn't mean abandoning Glenn's memory. For me, it's just the opposite.

My decision was mine. I've never needed to justify -- in my own mind or externally -- my love for the Eagles. I know what they've given me and how important they have been over the last 35 years. I stayed a fan because it helped me heal and because the "new" Eagles allowed me to get back in touch with the "old" Eagles.

Why did you stay?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Why I Stayed

A nice post. Some interesting points I haven't come across before. I haven't "stayed", but I wasn't an active Eagles follower in the first place. My relationship with Eagles is the same as it is with any band I love. I have their albums, but I don't follow what they do outside of making records.

Banned

I came to the Eagles via Joe Walsh and I think I'll stick it out, at least as long as he's still with them, maybe longer, although I'm a lot less enthusiastic about Eagles now than I was 10 years ago. I've stopped recommending them as a great band.

I've lost interest with Eagles as a live band, since they became a nostalgia act and they don't seem to have had any aspirations beyond that for some time. In my eyes, Business As Usual is their new signature tune. Glenn's loss has changed nothing. In fact I used to believe that they'd keep working until they lost Irving but now I'm sure that they'll be a queue of potential managers lining up to take his place, lining up lucrative opportunities for the remaining Eagles, when he's gone.

Both Joe and Don have said that they hope that their best material is in front of them, rather than behind them and Timothy is currently more productive than he's ever been, so I still think that Eagles re worth persevering with. Having said that, I'm not sure what to make of Vince and Deacon, and their latest release Part Of The Plan was a bit of a disappointment.

I still believe the Eagles standards of great songs, great vocals, great arrangements and great musicianship still remain true and as long as I still trust their judgement on that, I'm still, just about, in.

One can "stay" an Eagles fan and not support the current lineup.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    One can "stay" an Eagles fan and not support the current lineup.
    That's true. A great point.

Banned

It was suggested I start a new thread and that 3.0 was the forum to express withdrawn. So let's stick with that.

Sorry, not sure I understand. Please clarify what you mean by "withdrawn"?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

Withdrawn support. Forgot a word.

Stuck on the Border

EaglesinKansas, thank you for telling your story. It allows everyone to appreciate how you feel about the band without having to feel the same. It's good that we keep talking and explaining ourselves rather than just picking holes in arguments.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I stayed because I like Timothy, particularly when he is playing with the Eagles. I'm happy for him to be playing with Don and Joe and am intrigued by Deacon. I don't think they're too old, or too rich, and I don't think the Eagles name is too precious for them to continue to work under. I enjoy hearing about their new adventures. And who knows, maybe they will write some new stuff.