Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Was Bernie Leadon Not Included in Eagles 3.0

Default Re: Why Was Bernie Leadon Not Included in Eagles 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Regarding Bernie ... his silence is deafening ... and frankly, says it all.
    You could be right but Bernie has been very quite since he left. I don’t think we can ascribe a meaning to it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    You could be right but Bernie has been very quite since he left. I don’t think we can ascribe a meaning to it.
    Maybe you can't, but I can.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Desperado

Maybe there's no hidden agenda or mystery or scandal to be found. He isn't there so either he wasn't asked or just didn't want to do it perhaps for no other reason than he wasn't intetested. For me there have been 7 "real" Eagles from the band's inception through the current line up. (2 quit, one was terminated, 4 continued to tour and bring their music live to many fans through the conclusion of the HOTE tour.) In the absence of any actual proof/facts, everyone is entitled to whatever opinion makes them happy.
    Last edited by WKMB55; 12-17-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Where did you hear this? People are always talking about arguments, but until you find a direct quote from a reputable source, it's best to take such rumors with a grain of salt.

My personal speculation for which I have no evidence: he does not wish to be a part of an "Eagles" without Glenn Frey. He has demonstrated in the past that he's perfectly able to walk away from millions of dollars if he feels it's the right thing to do.

Sodascouts, it wasn't a direct source but YouTube's The Real Music Observer/David Spuria says he heard that. (One link is here: https://twitter.com/muzikobserver/st...71298097532928)

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Control View Post
    Sodascouts, it wasn't a direct source but YouTube's The Real Music Observer/David Spuria says he heard that. (One link is here: https://twitter.com/muzikobserver/st...71298097532928)
    Just from my observations this guy is not a great source. He is against the Eagles touring not because of Glenn but because they don’t have Bernie, Don and Randy with them. I don’t think he even cared to find out that Randy can’t preform anymore. He doesn’t care for Glenn and is really biased towards Felder.

Bernie spoke very highly of Glenn Frey after his passing and clearly loved and respected him very much. His participation at the Grammys tribute to Glenn was really special and frankly more meaningful to me than Jackson Browne. Bernie is and always will be an Eagle.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Just from my observations this guy is not a great source. He is against the Eagles touring not because of Glenn but because they don’t have Bernie, Don and Randy with them. I don’t think he even cared to find out that Randy can’t preform anymore. He doesn’t care for Glenn and is really biased towards Felder.
    I agree. I’ve seen his YouTube videos where he just spouts off his personal opinion. I don’t think he allows comments anymore-I wonder why? He strikes me as someone who might take some offhand comment Bernie made in 1975 and twists it to conform to present-day circumstances.

As far as why Bernie wasn’t included: I love to think he was approached to join, but I seriously doubt it. As others have said, there isn’t a place for him in the ranks, unless they got rid of a guitarist. And that could only be Steuart Smith. There’s no way Don H would trade out an acquiescent, make-no-waves sideman for a stalwart original member he’s butted heads with before and knew him back in the old days before anyone could be “star-struck.” That’s my cynical view of it anyway. My guess is that the power structure as it is now is how Don prefers it. And Don and Irving probably figured they addressed the legitimacy factor by bringing Deacon in (b/c yes, fans throughout the internet have definitely noticed that Don is the only original member in this line-up, so that is an issue).

The actual answer to the question, however, is that nobody knows, aside from Don and Irving and possibly Bernie.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Control View Post
    it wasn't a direct source but YouTube's The Real Music Observer/David Spuria says he heard that. (One link is here: https://twitter.com/muzikobserver/st...71298097532928)
    Thanks a lot for posting your source Out Of Control. It's a pretty vague comment. if a see some corroboration I'll consider believing it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Bernie said that sometime between 1975 and 2012.

I believe the Eagles already have too many musicians across the front of the stage, adding Bernie too would increase the clutter, even though he would be a pleasant authentic addition.

I don't think authenticity is as important as it used to be in Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

I'll third that comment. I've listened to a couple of those youtube videos and essentially he repeats the stories than have been in the press, often with a few errors and a lot of opinion.

Going by everything I've heard and seen from Bernie, he's someone would weigh up opportunities to see if they seemed right for him. His ambition was always just to make a living by playing music, not to become rich and famous. He came out of retirement for the HotE tour and that would have given him the benefit of ending things on a good note with his former band as well as a nice sum to fund his retirement.

Bernie was once given a golden opportunity to diss Don and he passed it by. In an interview in the 80s, he was told by the interviewer who was looking to stir up trouble that Don had insulted "I Wish You Peace" and essentially said it was a mistake for the Eagles to release it. Don used harsh terms; I believe he called it "smarmy cocktail music." Instead of striking back, Bernie said he was surprised to hear that and that Don seemed to like it at the time, then added he had no problem with Don. (I'm sorry I can't produce this interview, guys. I did a quick Google search and I can't find anything but the quote; I remember seeing a pdf of the entire article in my library database, though. It's your right to believe I imagined it, lol, but it always stuck with me because of how gracious he was).

Keeping that in mind, I'd be very surprised if Bernie dissed Don at this point. I'm not buying this guy's story.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten