Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Run Time for All Eagles songs

Border Desperado

Default Total Run Time for All Eagles songs

Unless I have missed something somewhere, I figured it up and the entirety of the Eagles recorded work would last 6 hours and 10 minutes roughly.

That's all the albums, plus SBR, ANL, HITW, PCHFC, FN.
    (This includes only 1 of each song)

Sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it?
    45 years.......7 hours of music...(and LRoOE is over an hour and a half of it)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Total Run Time for All Eagles songs

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Unless I have missed something somewhere, I figured it up and the entirety of the Eagles recorded work would last 6 hours and 10 minutes roughly.

That's all the albums, plus SBR, ANL, HITW, PCHFC, FN.
    (This includes only 1 of each song)

Sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it?
    45 years.......7 hours of music...(and LRoOE is over an hour and a half of it)
    WOW ! I never would have thought it was so little music. I have just never bothered to add it all up.

Banned

I'll take your word for it, BillBailey 1976.

It's a paltry amount, even allowing for their much vaunted work ethic, around which, a very lucrative dynasty has been built.

How lucky Eagles were that, they just happened to exist in the only time in history, when it was possible to make an outlandish fortune recording music.

All bands seemed to be better when they were bashing out new music months apart rather than rather than decennially (had to look that up )

Great post BB1976

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'll take your word for it, BillBailey 1976.

It's a paltry amount, even allowing for their much vaunted work ethic, around which, a very lucrative dynasty has been built.

How lucky Eagles were that, they just happened to exist in the only time in history, when it was possible to make an outlandish fortune recording music.

All bands seemed to be better when they were bashing out new music months apart rather than rather than decennially (had to look that up )

Great post BB1976
    I don't agree with you very often, but in this case I do. It's not very much, is it.

They did precisely one more album than Dire Straits, the new Hall of Fame inductees. However, Dire Straits means so much to me that I'm not bothered by it. I have Mark Knopfler's solo catalogue. But the Eagles...? It isn't enough for me any more.

Border Troubadour

In total it's probably a testament to just how good the band, particularly Don H. and Glenn, was in terms of songwriting. If anything they went from relative nobodies to the largest band in America in just four years, four albums, and two hours and a half hours of material. If we are honest, given the amount of decent-but-not-brilliant filler from the first four albums, then they cemented such popularity on the back of about ten songs. To have just one album and four fairly tepid cuts from a live album in the past 37 years, yet still be one of the highest grossing and popular touring bands is unbelievable and a testament to how well songs like Take It Easy, Desperado and Hotel California have aged.

I don’t agree necessarily about how little time that 7 hours is but I always wonder if they had lowered their standards and just pumped out like an album or two a year I wonder how they would have fared. But Don Joe and Glenn all had some pretty extensive solo work done as well. I don’t know if it’s fair to judge the 7 hours harshly

Border Troubadour

Lowering of any form of standards would never have got past Don H. or Glenn, though if we judge what the weaker tracks on Long Road of Eden sounded like and then extrapolate that several times over it is possible to come to the conclusion that it would have been godawful dross and ended up denting their reputation if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Lowering of any form of standards would never have got past Don H. or Glenn, though if we judge what the weaker tracks on Long Road of Eden sounded like and then extrapolate that several times over it is possible to come to the conclusion that it would have been godawful dross and ended up denting their reputation if anything.
    But at the same time these guys did have good solo work. I feel like they would have to change the band sound but they wouldn’t be that bad.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    But at the same time these guys did have good solo work. I feel like they would have to change the band sound but they wouldn’t be that bad.
    The problem by 1980 was that Glenn had well and truly checked out; indeed I believe the title No Fun Aloud stems from his liberation from the Eagles. I think the ship had sailed in all honesty, and that allowed Glenn to dictate his own career, Henley to single-handedly support every synthesiser manufacturer in western civilisation, TBS and Don F. to slip back under the radar a bit, and Joe to continue his healthy solo career - let's not forget Joe actually out a solo album out in between Hotel California and The Long Run. Some of the stuff would have worked as Eagles songs: the reformation era shows that they could pull off Boys of Summer, Smuggler's Blues and Dirty Laundry as band pieces, but things like The Heat Is On didn't, and songs like The End of Innocence and my favourite Henley song A Month of Sundays worked well because they were in Don Henley's style; similarly the relationship Glenn nurtured with Jack Tempchin led to wholly different songs and sounds then he would pull off with the other four Eagles.

If we look later into their careers, I honestly cannot see anything from Glenn's After Hours being an Eagles song, it's far too removed from their stye, furthermore I believe it was a personal project for Glenn, an acknowledgement to the music of his upbringing and influences; again like his 80s output something he couldn't really do with the Eagles. Stuff from Cass County could be Eagles work: No, Thank You and Praying for Rain are very much in the same mould as content from Long Road Out of Eden. Joe's Analog Man demonstrates the opposite effect too - One Day at a Time I believe started out an Eagles song before Joe saved it for his solo work.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    In total it's probably a testament to just how good the band, particularly Don H. and Glenn, was in terms of songwriting. If anything they went from relative nobodies to the largest band in America in just four years, four albums, and two hours and a half hours of material. If we are honest, given the amount of decent-but-not-brilliant filler from the first four albums, then they cemented such popularity on the back of about ten songs. To have just one album and four fairly tepid cuts from a live album in the past 37 years, yet still be one of the highest grossing and popular touring bands is unbelievable and a testament to how well songs like Take It Easy, Desperado and Hotel California have aged.
    I'm not getting into the 'quality, not quantity' argument. Not any more. You could say it's 'unbelievable' that they became so big because of just a handful of songs. I guess many will say they should be commended for squeezing the life out of such a paltry catalogue even after they can no longer be considered a valid band. They are entitled to their opinion; I do not share it.