Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Because it isn't the real 'Eagles'. The prices should now be lower, not higher.
    Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, I do not think that changes the economics of the matter. People are still willing in their droves to shell out three figures to see them.

(I love your signature by the way, I cannot stop listening to that song at the moment!)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    They charge as much as people are willing to pay. It's as simple as that.

They have fans who are willing to spend that kind of money to see them, so they charge high prices and still successfully sell tickets to those fans. If enough people stopped buying at those prices, they would lower them (as we saw with the Classic Easr/West). Until then, they have no reason to lower prices, except out of the goodness of their hearts or something. (Ha!)

Pure economics. They charge what the market will bear.

ETA: I think there was a time when they worried about looking bad, and didn't charge those kind of prices at the very top levels except for VIP, so I guess it is fair to say something has changed in that they no longer are concerned about that. Maybe Glenn's death?
    I think Vince Gill was added as a touring member to ease the pressure on Deacon to perform (sing lead and play guitar) on stage in stadium size venues AND to enable the band to sell seats at a premium. I have never seen him in concert but know his Christmas show with wife Amy is very popular and something I am sure I'd probably enjoy. (Tickets for Christmas At the Ryman with Amy Grant and Vince Gill are $35-&125)

What irks me is people trying to sell me on the idea Don, Timothy and Joe are not doing this for the money. They are all very wealthy as it is. They are doing it for the fans. Fans who want to hear their favorite Eagles songs played and sung by the band that created them, Not a tribute band, God knows there are plenty of those (remember that?). Well if money isn't an issue why not price the shows at a reasonable and considerably more affordable price point?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    What irks me is people trying to sell me on the idea Don, Timothy and Joe are not doing this for the money. They are all very wealthy as it is. They are doing it for the fans. Fans who want to hear their favorite Eagles songs played and sung by the band that created them, Not a tribute band, God knows there are plenty of those (remember that?). Well if money isn't an issue why not price the shows at a reasonable and considerably more affordable price point?
    AMEN - My point exactly.
    Soda & BB - Ditto - could not agree more.

Border Rebel

The tickets for the Classic East/West were quite expensive and alot of fans who really just wanted to see the Eagles or vice versa Fleetwood Mac were pissed off they were initially forced to buy two day passes when if they had waited they could have bought a one day pass.
    The prices for Classic East started out very expensive but fell dramatically as they apparently couldn't sell enough seats at those prices. (Gee, I wonder why?) Part of the reason I ended up going was that I got a 1-day ticket (floor seat) at the last minute for just under $100. There were much cheaper seats available in the stands. I wonder if that will end up happening again?

As far as the camera rule, when I went through security, one of the guys said,"We're supposed to tell everyone that the Eagles don't want any pictures or video taken during the show." Then he laughed and said, "But really, you can do whatever you want." The last part of his statement was true. I don't know if it was just too difficult to control in such a large venue, but I didn't see anyone asked to put their phone or camera away.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    The prices for Classic East started out very expensive but fell dramatically as they apparently couldn't sell enough seats at those prices. (Gee, I wonder why?) Part of the reason I ended up going was that I got a 1-day ticket (floor seat) at the last minute for just under $100. There were much cheaper seats available in the stands. I wonder if that will end up happening again?

As far as the camera rule, when I went through security, one of the guys said,"We're supposed to tell everyone that the Eagles don't want any pictures or video taken during the show." Then he laughed and said, "But really, you can do whatever you want." The last part of his statement was true. I don't know if it was just too difficult to control in such a large venue, but I didn't see anyone asked to put their phone or camera away.
    Has that camera and phone policy always been true? I know that it’s a newer thing and they are an old band, but was that unique to HOTE?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Has that camera and phone policy always been true? I know that it’s a newer thing and they are an old band, but was that unique to HOTE?
    Just my experience but I believe it is post HFO. When I saw them in the 70's, 1980 and 1995, I do not remember security checking for cameras. And of course, there were no cell phones then. In fact I was at MANY a concert where all you had to do is breathe and you could get high from the cloud of pot hanging over the crowd. I also almost got hit by a firecracker some jerk threw. They just did not check for stuff then.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Just my experience but I believe it is post HFO. When I saw them in the 70's, 1980 and 1995, I do not remember security checking for cameras. And of course, there were no cell phones then. In fact I was at MANY a concert where all you had to do is breathe and you could get high from the cloud of pot hanging over the crowd. I also almost got hit by a firecracker some jerk threw. They just did not check for stuff then.
    I think that it stinks now with all the security and new concert policies now. Obviously it’s good for the drugs and preventing people from getting hurt but I think that with all the recording and phones bands don’t act as spontaneous and there is a less variety between shows. It’s kind of sad

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I think that it stinks now with all the security and new concert policies now. Obviously it’s good for the drugs and preventing people from getting hurt but I think that with all the recording and phones bands don’t act as spontaneous and there is a less variety between shows. It’s kind of sad

YEF - Security is just a sign of the times and it will only get stronger. Concerts have suddenly become a place for terrorists to strike. And truthfully, in MHO, someone smoking pot at a concert is the least of things people have to worry about now. Besides, it's legal in quite a few states now.

The Eagles have always been anal about cameras/cell phones. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Banned

The first Eagle I saw live was Henley in 1989. I had to drive to a different city to see him, as there were only about 3 or 4 even half suitable venues for him to play in the UK. I was impressed that he had a bit of light show. I saw Joe and Tim, with Ringo in 1992, at a smaller venue in Liverpool. Ringo only played 2 venues on that tour, Liverpool and London. Unlike Don. they were actual concert venues, though.

The Eagles HFO tour, playing outdoor stadiums with huge ticket prices, was a big factor in a surge of investment in concert arenas throughout the UK.

Before the HFO tour had ended, Manchester had built it's own, purpose built, concert arena so I was lucky enough to see the Eagles HFO show indoors, at the Nynex Arena, which is the same arena (with a different name) that's been in the news this year, after a suicide bomber blew himself up, at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.

After seeing the HFO show several times at various football stadiums around the UK, it was luxury to see it in a purpose built venue, with a roof over your head, controlled heating and lighting, practically door to door public transport, comfortable seats, easy access to toilet and refreshment facilities, pristine stage light and sound reproduction and backed by screens that were visible for the whole show, not just after dusk.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...d-3dbd583.html

All sorts of artists can now make a good living playing arena tours and a whole industry has developed to create a spectacle and help them sell the tickets.

On the downside, all the expensive staging means that the opportunity for spontaneity has almost disappeared completely. It does mean that ticket buyers are guaranteed an excellent show, even if the artists on stage are decades past their prime or even, not as talented as they appear in the more digitally controlled media.

Eagles were exceptional live, in the 70s, when it was a real challenge to pull off. Nowadays, thanks to all those people paying extortionate ticket prices, being great live is now the norm, rather than the exception.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

What irks me is people trying to sell me on the idea Don, Timothy and Joe are not doing this for the money.
    Oh I definitely think they're doing it for the money, of course they are. But I don't have a problem with it. It's their job. I do my job for the money, on a different scale of course. If I could charge more, I would LOL. I make a lot less money and I have a lot less expenses (bad grammar but don't know how to say it).

Having said that, I don't think there's any amount of money in the world that could get them out on tour if they really didn't want to do it. They're doing it because they're having fun and are addicted to the limelight, like most stars.

My thoughts on inspirations for this tour, in order: 1) "having fun on stage"; 2) "still enjoying the whole touring with entourage/security/VIP hotel, transportation, dressing rooms, craft services star experience" 3) "money"; 4) "fans still want to see us."