Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

A lot of things were quite different in the 70s and everything was cheaper—clothes, movie tickets, food, cars, homes, etc. If I recall correctly, my older sisters saw Fleetwood Mac in the late 70s for $10 per ticket.

However, I believe what the OP had in mind was to discuss ticket prices since 1994 which marks the beginning of a new era—the emergence of the nostalgia act tours, with the Eagles leading the way. Since this time there have been plenty of people willing to shell out big bucks to go see these concerts. And yes the prime demographic was/is the baby boomers for whom the time of the free concert via the Grateful Dead was a thing of the forgotten past.

In this regard, the OP is asking “are Don, Timothy and Joe money-hungry greedy thugs”? Or something to that effect.
    Last edited by Delilah; 12-20-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    A lot of things were quite different in the 70s and everything was cheaper—clothes, movie tickets, food, cars, homes, etc. If I recall correctly, my older sisters saw Fleetwood Mac in the late 70s for $10 per ticket.

However, I believe what the OP had in mind was to discuss ticket prices since 1994 which marks the beginning of a new era—the emergence of the nostalgia act tours, with the Eagles leading the way. Since this time there have been plenty of people willing to shell out big bucks to go see these concerts. And yes the prime demographic was/is the baby boomers for whom the time of the free concert via the Grateful Dead was a thing of the forgotten past.

In this regard, the OP is asking “are Don, Timothy and Joe money-hungry greedy thugs”? Or something to that effect.
    The OP supports the current lineup & I believe was being extremely sarcastic. It was a rhetorical question. She wants those of you who support this to reply ' no! Of course they're not'!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Exploited? Can we agree that concerts are a luxury, similar to a vacation or an expensive pair of shoes? There is no societal obligation for concerts to be affordable!
    While I'd agree there is no societal obligation for concerts to be affordable I don't appreciate what I consider to be manipulative/exploitative sales and marketing tactics aimed at a specific age group - in this case so-called baby boomers.

And of course, this isn't the 70's things have changed but one thing that has stayed constant is none of these groups could make a dime without fans coming to see them and buying their merchandises, records, etc.

Personally, I am sorry fans are priced out of seeing the band on their 2018 tour because of absurdly high prices. Could they lower the prices and still make a profit? i gotta believe they can but right now it seems the best option is to wait.
    Last edited by Dawn; 12-20-2017 at 09:10 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Sorry for misquoting you, NKIT. The Spectrum is no more, is that right?
    Yes, you’re right about some of the concerts not having an opening act. These are the “Evening With the Eagles” shows that are in smaller venues and I assume the tickets are less expensive. I used the concert at the AT&T Stadium as an example b/c I believe it represents the high end on the ticket price scale.
    You’re very welcome, and I agree about Pippin—don’t give up, you never know what can happen.
    Delilah - Yeah, they tore down the Spectrum in Nov.2009. I forget the name of the new facility. I saw Elton there too.
    I wonder what ticket prices are for the “Evening With the Eagles”. They have not scheduled anything here in the NY/NJ Metro area. I assume it is because they did the Classic East at Citi Field.

Dawn - Wow, you sure saw some great concerts back then ! I would have loved to see some of those people/groups in concert. Lucky you. Delilah is right, I sure would love to hear a review of those shows if you can remember them, I know it was a long time ago.

PS - Sorry for the typing errors earlier, I was trying to hurry up and get my two cents in before I had to catch my train.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-20-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I don't see it as exploitative or manipulative. It's the simple economics of supply and demand. That re-sale tickets are attracting a premium shows that demand is outstripping supply. In theory, they could increase supply but that would mean fitting in extra concerts or touring for longer periods and maybe they don't feel like doing that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Well, let me add my 2 cents about the price of concert tickets for 2018 as compared with the 1970's. While some boomers may have more disposable income to spend on concert tickets now, back then concerts were a totally different animal. They were almost exclusively a kid's game. I was 16 when I first started going to concerts with my friends. My first concert was in 1975, the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg opening. The ticket price was $5.50 advance, $6.50 day of show. Cheap? Yes, but priced so teenagers could go to their local record store and pick them up. They were also festival seating, even though it was an indoor venue. Festival seating was the norm for certain venues at the time. There were no computers to keep track of seats back then and tickets were often sold at many different outlets, mostly record stores. And since there were no online purchases, no one could snatch up tickets within seconds. The extra dollar for day of show was sort of an incentive to try to sell the concert more quickly. As I said earlier, the concerts were truly a kid's game. Festival seating could be like a black Friday sale on steroids, not for adults. I'm sure there are exceptions to this of course, but the concerts I attended were filled with people my age, give or take a couple of years. That's why they were rowdy, fun filled, sometimes a little dangerous adventures. I would have looked at someone in their late 20s at the time as old, and not belonging there! Even though we talk about how young the Eagles were back then, most of us in the crowd were quite a bit younger than them. I just turned 59, a full 10 years younger than Glenn. And, to cap off this discussion of the high ticket prices, when I saw them in June of 1980 the ticket price was $12.50. Still cheap, but more than double of my first ticket!
    Very true My My. I remember going to my local record store or a couple of stores like Macys to buy my tickets. It sure seemed much easier then. Line up and buy the tickets. When I saw the Eagles at Giants Stadium in 1980, they played a triple bill with the Little River Band and Heart. If I remember right, my tickets were around $12.00. I think the age of the crowd depended on the person you were going to see. I remember seeing JT and JB and the crowd was between the ages of say 16-17-28. My sister saw Alice Cooper as her first concert when she was around 15-16 years old and I doubt if kids were older than 25. Dead heads were a different story - lol .
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-20-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Border Rebel

NKIT--True, Deadheads were always a different crowd! Either professionals who could afford to take the summer off to follow the band or those that just lived the lifestyle of a vagabond and picked up enough money along the way to hang for the tour!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    NKIT--True, Deadheads were always a different crowd! Either professionals who could afford to take the summer off to follow the band or those that just lived the lifestyle of a vagabond and picked up enough money along the way to hang for the tour!
    My MY - My younger brother was a big GD fan. He didn't follow them up and down the East Coast but he did get their newsletter. I remember my Dad bringing in the mail once along with the newsletter. My father wanted to know what the crap a dead head news letter was.

Tower Records.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Tower Records.
    Is that where you bought your tickets? They were a national chain, I believe. I bought mine at Karma Records, a local Indy shop. They are still in business, don't sell Eagles tickets anymore though, LOL