Thread: What type of guitar should I buy?

Default What type of guitar should I buy?

I was looking at buying a guitar for Christmas and I wasn’t sure which type I should get. For those on here who play, what type should I get? The three I’m considering is the LP, ES, and Stratocaster. I generally like To play sings that fit within eagles categories. I don’t like songs that are much harder rock than say good day in hell or like life in the fast lane. Ignoring price what guitar would you suggest?

Default Re: What type of guitar should I buy?

Full disclosure: I don't play guitar, but I'm married to a musician and I know a bunch of them.

Buy what feels right and sounds right to you. Go to a store like Guitar Center where they have a lot of different models and brands and try them out. Don't buy before you try! Talk to the experts there and tell them what you want. They'll have a good idea of which instrument will give you the results you're looking for.

All my musician friends say don't walk out of the store with an instrument you haven't played. If they won't let you try it out, leave. A store concerned with good customer service wants happy customers who will recommend them.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure some of the actual guitarists on the forum can advise you in terms of specifics, but I'm passing along what my musician buddies have said about buying new gear.

YEF, I'm a guitarist and I hope to help you but I may get a bit carried away.

The "Eagles", used a combination of Fender style instruments and Gibson style instruments. And usually if Felder was playing one brand, Walsh was playing the other. The reason is the pickups (the object that transfers the sound into the cable that goes to the amp and then speaker) sound different. If you are going to have a 2 or 3 guitar band, you want to BLEND them, not make them all sound alike. So a single coil pickup (Fender) will sound thinner and brighter, and a humbucker pickup (Gibson) will sound thicker and warmer. When you combine the two in a band, it sounds glorious and doesn't fight for space in a dense mix.

As your only guitar, I'd almost say go with a Fender. They are a little more versatile, and I think they are a better value especially if someone who's starting out. Fender's lower priced guitars tend to be nicer than Gibson's lower priced guitars. It wasn't always that way, but as of late Gibson's quality in their lower ranged instruments has been going down the tube. For Gibsons, I use Custom Shop Les Pauls and a vintage 1964 Gibson SG Special, and they are nice. I have many Strats and Teles though too including a Tele done by a custom builder who makes them like Fender made back then (a company called Nashguitars). I also have PRS (Paul Reed Smith) and Music Man guitars, two alternative builders.

I'd say look at a MIM (made in Mexico) Strat. That will be a good value, pretty versatile, and not too expensive. If you want to go all out, get a MIA (made in America) Strat. I know people say to start with a cheap guitar but my first guitar was a mid range american made Gibson, so I was lucky. It's all about budget.

With a Strat, you could play most Eagles songs (or at least the parts done by one of the guys) and have it sound like the record. On other things, it'll be close.

For an amp, I'd say get a Fender Mustang. They are quite nice for the money and better than the practice/student amps of yesteryear. Trust me, I had one. lol If you want something a little more pricey and tube, get a Fender Blues Junior.

But it's ultimately up to you. But a MIM Strat is an awesome guitar for the money. And if later on you decide you like it and stick with that guitar, you can upgrade the electronics and have a better sound without having to get a new guitar, unless you wanted one, like I always do. Haha. I have 30+ guitars and it's my vice.

I absolutely agree with Pippin - play before you buy! Always. Unless it's a high end guitar that I've bought online from a place that play tests them for me.

Hope this helps. Sorry for rambling on!

-Austin/WF88
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Banned

Cool Re: What type of guitar should I buy?

Walshfan is right on the money re: play that sucker before you buy!

What you get depends, of course, on what you're gonna do with it. If you're playing pro gigs (particularly studio work), you want to get the best axe you can afford. Studio work - at least around here (L.A.) pays well, so you should be able to get something good.

Fender or Gibson? Well, I have Gretsches (6120, 6122), but I got lucky and didn't have to pay for them. I love the sound and look of Gretsch, that twangy, long-limbed, ringing leatherjacket sound that you get from a hollow-bodied electric.

Plus, they look killer on stage...

I didn’t realize that people commented on until the most recent comment thanks for you help Walshfan, pippin, and Pneumbra. I decided to get an Epiphone Les Paul as a guitar right now. I have a low quality Stratocaster so I’d like to be able to play different style guitars for a while and then make a decision on a higher quality one. I’d like to avoid a rash decision, I’m sure I’ll ask for help again when I make the leap towards a more permanent guitar.

@peneumbra: A woman on Antiques Roadshow last night had her dad's 1956 6120 Gretsch. It was completely original and had the original case. I think they appraised it for $7,000-$8,000. He bought it for $400 new. Wow.

Banned

Cool Re: What type of guitar should I buy?

The most wanted Gretsch these days is the White Falcon. There's one for sale now (refurbed and with new pickups) that the sellers are asking 10K for - and I think they'll get it...

I have a 1966 Gretsch Tennessean (which is the one George Harrison played a lot, he also had a Country Gentleman but played the Tennessean most). It has HiLoTrons, which are low output twangy single coils as opposed to the beefier Filtertrons or even Dynasonics. It's totally the "Day Tripper" sound. That, with the right rig is Beatles up and down other than the 12 string Ric stuff.

I use it in a classic rock/modern country cover band and it gets used a LOT when I'm the one playing rhythm on a song or if I need that twangy Gretsch sound. I use it on everything from Beatles to Chris Cagle (country artist) tunes.

So while I only have one, I do love a good Gretsch. Nothing sounds like it. Put a little slapback echo on it and you're golden. I wouldn't mind a 6120 someday.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I didn’t realize that people commented on until the most recent comment thanks for you help Walshfan, pippin, and Pneumbra. I decided to get an Epiphone Les Paul as a guitar right now. I have a low quality Stratocaster so I’d like to be able to play different style guitars for a while and then make a decision on a higher quality one. I’d like to avoid a rash decision, I’m sure I’ll ask for help again when I make the leap towards a more permanent guitar.
    Good choice. A Les Paul goes well with a Strat. That's what I would have recommended had I known you had a Strat. The yin and yang of electric guitars.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger