Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performing Songwriter magazine

Default Performing Songwriter magazine

Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy a copy of the Jan/Feb issue of Performing Songwriter with Don on the cover. Here is a preview:

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/...e/main_top.cfm

It contains an insightful seven-page interview with him with a number of fantastic photographs scattered throughout the magazine, not only of Don and the Eagles but their close friends as well. The back page of the magazine includes a 1972 shot by Henry Diltz of J. D. Souther and Jackson Browne from the famous Desperado shoot. J. D. also reveals the backstory behind "How Long." An excerpt: "I'm always happy when they cut anything of mine. Nobody makes better records of my songs."

I enjoyed the entire interview with Don, especially his answer to the following:
    "What advice would you give to young artists who look up to you in the way that you looked up to your heroes?"

His answer, in part: "Avoid the limelight unless it is absolutely necessary for you to be in it in order to call attention to your work--and don't overexpose yourself.
    In the end, the quality of your work--your songs, your recordings, your live performances--is the only thing that matters.
    Be kind, be grateful, be patient. And above all, try to keep your sense of humour.
    It can get mighty cold and windy at the top of the mountain, but the view up there is really fantastic."

First-rate stuff. I loved it!

Awesome! I'm off to Barnes and Noble!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Me too!!!!!!!

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Can someone please scan and post it here for a poor creature like me who's not able to get this?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very cool! I'm also on my way!

Thanks DF!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

That's great! What a lovely photo on the cover!

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/...es_current.cfm

I liked the 'Frey decides what we do' bit. Speaking of 'Frey' how I wish he'd do interviews like this.

Anyway as soon as I can find this I'll buy it. I've never bought this magazine before.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

That sounds like a very good interview DF. I'll look for it in Borders although I don't know if they stock it in Ireland!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Dang, I checked everywhere I could think of in my neighboring decent size town for this magazine and no one had it! Of course, our only bookstore, Borders, barely has magazines at all!

Does anyone know if you could buy a copy from them or do you have to have a subscription?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

You can easily buy a copy from them and, if you miss it while it's new, buy it as a back issue. That's what I did for the Billboard magazine.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for the tip about the magazine DF. I got mine today. My sister and I went to Borders today and I found it there. When I walked up to my sister who was elsewhere in the store, she asked what I had. When I held it up she just rolled her eyes. I told her, "Hey! We all have our little obsessions!" Anyway, I've read the article and it was quite good. He's looking mighty fine on the cover (and in the other pics too). And check out the last page of the mag for a picture of Jackson Browne and J. D. Souther during the Desperado shoot. I wish there had been one of the other guys, but I guess we can't have everything.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."