Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Co lead vocals

Default Re: Co lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Ah a topic close to my heart. I always wanted more of the shared leads, particularly because I could never really distinguish the dual harmonies. I wish on the debut album, on songs like tryin,Nightingale, they had experimented more in that way or even the Long Run. HC worked cause of Henley's singular and soulful approach but definitely more Glenn or Bernie co leads wouldve pleased me.I always thought the longhaired members (Randy and Glenn) had a clear voices that contrasted well with the Afro members (Don H and Bernie) who had rougher voices; so maybe a Randy and Bernie co lead woudve been fantastic or Glenn taking the lead on Nightingale with Don singing just the bridge of 'Here goes my baby shining like a Nightingale..' etc. What do you all think about these ideas?
    I’ve always viewed it that way. Glenn and Randy had clear smooth voices (though Randy had some bite on harmonies) that would contrast well with the more raspy voices of Bernie and Don. I think that made the harmonies as great as they were. The dynamics of that changed with Tim, who’s voice wasn’t as clear as Randy though joes is more clear than Bernie’s. I’d love some more shared vocals in the early days

Ah a topic close to my heart. I always wanted more of the shared leads, particularly because I could never really distinguish the dual harmonies. I wish on the debut album, on songs like tryin,Nightingale, they had experimented more in that way or even the Long Run. HC worked cause of Henley's singular and soulful approach but definitely more Glenn or Bernie co leads wouldve pleased me.I always thought the longhaired members (Randy and Glenn) had a clear voices that contrasted well with the Afro members (Don H and Bernie) who had rougher voices; so maybe a Randy and Bernie co lead woudve been fantastic or Glenn taking the lead on Nightingale with Don singing just the bridge of 'Here goes my baby shining like a Nightingale..' etc. What do you all think about these ideas?
    LOL, the longhaired members vs the Afro members...that would have been nice if they had shared lead vocal more, I could definitely see Glenn and Don sharing Nightingale.

Stuck on the Border

Glenn would have done a good job with Nightingale, but they only had WW and they needed another Henley vocal for the album.

How times changed.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've always thought that Visions features two Felders on lead vocals. If Henley is harmonizing, I guess Felder's voice is mixed louder, so I've only heard him. Gotta pay attention to that the next time I hear the song.
    I agree with you here, Toni. No matter who is singing, I definitely don't consider Visions as a co-lead vocal.

And, for the record, I love all of the Eagle songs when they used co-lead vocals. And FP - I'll second your comments about WDIDWMH. As a matter of fact, one of the things I enjoy most about the LROOE album is all of the co-leads.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have never thought of Visions as other than a Felder lead vocal, so it bemuses me to hear that (presumably) Henley, because I don't think it's Bernie, is singing in unison. It isn't credited as a co lead & I just don't see it that way. It's a close harmony to try & mask the inadequacy of Felder's lead.

It's interesting & sad that I'm the only person who has mentioned WDIDWMH. I love what Glenn & Don do in that song. I also love what Glenn does in the harmonies in the verses of the title track of LROOE, but I would hesitate to call that a co lead.
    WDIDWMH is my favorite Eagle song sung by Glenn and also one of my top favorites. I loved the call and response between Glenn and the others and then Don sings his lines as he does a call and response with Glenn as the song ends. The harmonies are great on this song.

I also love all the co-lead songs on the LROOE album.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-01-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    WDIDWMH is my favorite Eagle song sung by Glenn and also one of my top favorites. I loved the call and response between Glenn and the others and and then Don sings his lines as he does a call and response with Glenn as the song ends. The harmonies are great in this song.

I also love all the co-lead songs on the LROOE album.
    I agree, Shun! I just love WDIDWMH! Like you, I love the weaving of Don and Glenn's voices---they're perfection. It's such a powerful performance and would have been great live. The emotion in Glenn's voice just kills me!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Border Rebel

I love WDIDWMH but I don't consider it a co-lead. Glenn sings most of the song and Don sings one small part. It adds a lot to the song, IMHO, but I would consider Glenn the lead singer. Sort of similar to Do Something (not in the song itself, but in the way Don sings a part of it. Interesting how it's done twice on that album.)

I really love co-leads and I wish they had done more!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I love WDIDWMH but I don't consider it a co-lead. Glenn sings most of the song and Don sings one small part. It adds a lot to the song, IMHO, but I would consider Glenn the lead singer. Sort of similar to Do Something (not in the song itself, but in the way Don sings a part of it. Interesting how it's done twice on that album.)

I really love co-leads and I wish they had done more!
    Don sings the last verse & then Glenn joins him. They sing the rest of the song together. And it's call & response - you can't get much more 'shared' than that! It's much more than Do Something where Don only sings four lines, even though you can hear his harmonies.

Don only sings one verse of ATTIG too. Wouldn't you call that a co lead?
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-04-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree that WDIDWMH should be considered a shared vocal.

But, there are a few other songs that I can't figure out why they are not considered co-lead vocals. To me, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency about what factors determine this. Is it the number of words or lines sung? Is it how prominent the vocals are? Where do you draw the line between what is a co-lead vs. a back-up vocal? I think strong arguments can be made for or against several Eagles songs, but, to me, the same criteria should apply. For example:

I think LROOE is as much of a shared vocal as something like King of Hollywood or Good Day in Hell. The only difference is that the vocals aren't shared throughout the entire song. And I also think Fast Company qualifies as a shared vocal for the same reason.

Another one that confuses me is why isn't Last Good Time in Town considered a co-lead when Teenage Jail is? I think LGTIT actually has more call and response lines.

I personally consider On the Border as shared vocals where each band member trades off a line. However, when Glenn shouts out "Gator" in Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, I wouldn't count that.

Food for thought ???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I have to agree that WDIDWMH should be considered a shared vocal.

But, there are a few other songs that I can't figure out why they are not considered co-lead vocals. To me, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency about what factors determine this. Is it the number of words or lines sung? Is it how prominent the vocals are? Where do you draw the line between what is a co-lead vs. a back-up vocal? I think strong arguments can be made for or against several Eagles songs, but, to me, the same criteria should apply. For example:

I think LROOE is as much of a shared vocal as something like King of Hollywood or Good Day in Hell. The only difference is that the vocals aren't shared throughout the entire song. And I also think Fast Company qualifies as a shared vocal for the same reason.

Another one that confuses me is why isn't Last Good Time in Town considered a co-lead when Teenage Jail is? I think LGTIT actually has more call and response lines.

I personally consider On the Border as shared vocals where each band member trades off a line. However, when Glenn shouts out "Gator" in Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, I wouldn't count that.

Food for thought ???
    In my view Glenn's contribution in LGTIT isn't great enough to make it a co- lead. To me a co-lead should take a larger proportion of the song, which is why I don't really see the indiviidual lines in OTB as amounting to a co-lead. I don't know about Fast Company - I can see both sides. But I wouild love to claim LROOE itself. I really would.

Regarding 'Gator' in Greeks, someone on this board once claimed that Don's 'ah ah' in NKIT made that a co-lead. No it doesn't.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.