Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Co lead vocals

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Co lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I'm talking about the chorus, during the outro, right after the key change
    The last chorus, starting with 'yes'? I'm sorry but to me that is Glenn & I fail to see why someone else would suddenly start singing lead so close to the end of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The last chorus, starting with 'yes'? I'm sorry but to me that is Glenn & I fail to see why someone else would suddenly start singing lead so close to the end of the song.
    Because the notes are higher and easier for Randy to reach without straining himself. Listened it to again, through headphones, and that first "yes i'm a-ll" sounds particularly like Randy to me

Stuck on the Border

Because the notes are higher and easier for Randy to reach without straining himself. Listened it to again, through headphones, and that first "yes i'm a-ll" sounds particularly like Randy to me
    Once again poor Glenn can't be given credit for something like this. 'It's a higher key! It must be Randy'! I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this view.

Once again poor Glenn can't be given credit for something like this. 'It's a higher key! It must be Randy'! I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this view.
    It doesn't have anything to do with Glenn. I've been listening to this song for more than 30 years i've heard Randy there the whole time. In all of the live versions of the song listened, in which Glenn does sing the part, it sounds nothing like the record. Perhaps this might a case like the aahs in "A Day in the Life." Everybody thinks it's John, until it's pointed out that it's actually Paul.

Stuck on the Border

Even if Randy DOES sing the main melody in the last chorus I wouldn't say it's a co-lead when there are many people singing. To me it's just switching harmonies. Or is the word "swapping"? Anyway, interesting that someone hears Randy there. Gotta pay attention to that next time I hear the song.

I'm certain this is Glenn.

To me, a co-lead is a song where the lead vocal is shared evenly - How Long and Doolin Dalton are the best examples of this to me. In my opinion, What Do I Do With My Heart is not a co-lead vocal - Henley only comes in at the end. The same with Do Something. As for Good Day in Hell, I didn't know Glenn and Henley sang this together, all I hear is Glenn. Wouldn't that just be harmony, though, and not a shared lead vocal? If you count any time you can hear more than one band member, you could consider almost all of their songs a "co-lead."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Even if Randy DOES sing the main melody in the last chorus I wouldn't say it's a co-lead when there are many people singing. To me it's just switching harmonies. Or is the word "swapping"? Anyway, interesting that someone hears Randy there. Gotta pay attention to that next time I hear the song.
    Totally agree that Randy is singing harmony in Already Gone as are probably all the members. I dont even believe that Randy's harmony is the main melody, but even if it were, I agree that doesn’t make it a co-lead. For example, in Take It To the Limit, Glenn’s harmony part is predominant, but it’s not a lead vocal because all or most of the band is harmonizing at that point. In any event, the credits for either song do not include a co-lead vocalist. Additionally, I don’t buy the argument that the high notes at the end of Already Gone were out of Glenn’s range. The ‘woo hoo hoo’ notes are probably the highest notes in the song, and Glenn seems to have had no problem hitting those.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Additionally, I don’t buy the argument that the high notes at the end of Already Gone were out of Glenn’s range. The ‘woo hoo hoo’ notes are probably the highest notes in the song, and Glenn seems to have had no problem hitting those.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Those "woo hoo hoo notes" are falsetto. Also, I never said they were out of his range, but they're at the very top of it. On the record, the "al-" in "already" has two notes, the first note being higher. In '74 and '75 he would sing them live, but by '76 if the recent release is any indication, he had given up singing the first note, and he didn't sing it again thereafter. But to me, the most important thing is Randy voice sticks out like a sore thumb (sorry for the negative analogy) on the "yes i'm al-."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

SS - I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree about. To me, no matter how you slice it or dice it, you won't convince me that this is a co-lead vocal, which is your original claim. I am going to side with the band on this one.

In my view Glenn's contribution in LGTIT isn't great enough to make it a co- lead. To me a co-lead should take a larger proportion of the song, which is why I don't really see the indiviidual lines in OTB as amounting to a co-lead. I don't know about Fast Company - I can see both sides. But I wouild love to claim LROOE itself. I really would.

Regarding 'Gator' in Greeks, someone on this board once claimed that Don's 'ah ah' in NKIT made that a co-lead. No it doesn't.
    But, here is where the band's inconsistency starts to lose me. Again, Glenn has more lines in LGTIT than Don has in Teenage Jail, yet Teenage Jail is credited as co-lead vocals while LGTIT is not. I think you may legitimately be able to make a case either way, but I don’t get why one is a co-lead and the other isn’t. Another example from the LROOE album is that Don is given co-lead credits for his lines in WDIDWMH and Do Something, but Tim isn’t credited as a co-lead on Waiting in the Weeds; nor is Glenn credited for his vocals in LGTIT, Fast Company, or LROOE.

So yeah – I’m a bit baffled. I thought if someone sings several lines in a song alone, traditionally they should be considered a co-lead vocalist. And I also still don’t get why GDIH and KOH are credited as co-leads, yet LROOE and Fast Company are not. Did the definition or criteria for these change after the millennium?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    SS - I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree about. To me, no matter how you slice it or dice it, you won't convince me that this is a co-lead vocal, which is your original claim. I am going to side with the band on this one.
    Oh, I go by what they say. But if I was listing the credits, I would say something like Glenn (with Randy)