Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Co lead vocals

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Co lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with Glenn. I've been listening to this song for more than 30 years i've heard Randy there the whole time. In all of the live versions of the song listened, in which Glenn does sing the part, it sounds nothing like the record. Perhaps this might a case like the aahs in "A Day in the Life." Everybody thinks it's John, until it's pointed out that it's actually Paul.
    I've been listening to it for the same length of time & I've never heard anyone but Glenn in that part. The two voices are totally different. I'm sorry, but I'm leaving it there. And even if it is Randy, which I don't believe it is, that is not enough to justify a co-lead credit.

As for the aahs in A Day In The Life, that is news to me. I'm not getting sidetracked by that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    SS - I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree about. To me, no matter how you slice it or dice it, you won't convince me that this is a co-lead vocal, which is your original claim. I am going to side with the band on this one.

But, here is where the band's inconsistency starts to lose me. Again, Glenn has more lines in LGTIT than Don has in Teenage Jail, yet Teenage Jail is credited as co-lead vocals while LGTIT is not. I think you may legitimately be able to make a case either way, but I don’t get why one is a co-lead and the other isn’t. Another example from the LROOE album is that Don is given co-lead credits for his lines in WDIDWMH and Do Something, but Tim isn’t credited as a co-lead on Waiting in the Weeds; nor is Glenn credited for his vocals in LGTIT, Fast Company, or LROOE.

So yeah – I’m a bit baffled. I thought if someone sings several lines in a song alone, traditionally they should be considered a co-lead vocalist. And I also still don’t get why GDIH and KOH are credited as co-leads, yet LROOE and Fast Company are not. Did the definition or criteria for these change after the millennium?
    In LGTIT the only lines Glenn has are the 'turn off the phone' bits. Six lines. In TJ, Don has a whole verse ('ÿou're lost...') as well as singing with Glenn in the last verse ('you're not like the others').

To me Glenn's harmony in Fast Company is just that - a harmony. And despite his superb work in LROOE that probably can only be considered a harmony as well.

I agree that WITW is an anomaly, but perhaps they thought there wasn't enough from Tim for him to be given credit.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've always thought that Visions features two Felders on lead vocals. If Henley is harmonizing, I guess Felder's voice is mixed louder, so I've only heard him. Gotta pay attention to that the next time I hear the song.
    I believe you’re right about this—I think it’s a double track of Felder on lead vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    To me Glenn's harmony in Fast Company is just that - a harmony. And despite his superb work in LROOE that probably can only be considered a harmony as well.

I agree that WITW is an anomaly, but perhaps they thought there wasn't enough from Tim for him to be given credit.
    I agree. In all three songs there is a lead vocal and (probably) one backing vocal harmonizing. I also wonder if Steuart Smith is thrown in the backing vocal mix throughout this album. He sure was/is used on the live shows.

My favorite shared vocal is probably GDIH. My favorite co-lead is Doolin-Dalton, though I love ATTIG too. I think it’s great that they mixed it up and didn’t do same vocal arrangements over and over.

I didn’t hear the LROOE album until a couple of years ago so maybe I have a different take on this than others. But I thought it odd to be listening to Timothy singing “Do Something” and Glenn singing WDIDWMH, and out of nowhere comes Don H adding his vocals. Why? It as if the band thought these songs needed a vocal boost or something. Or was it b/c he has a writing credit on these songs? Yes, shared/co-lead vocals are great but Henley already has 7 leads on the album and one co-lead (How Long) plus the barbershop quartet thing with No More Walks in the Wood. That puts him on 11 out of 20 tracks (1 which is an instrumental). Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I believe you’re right about this—I think it’s a double track of Felder on lead vocal.

I agree. In all three songs there is a lead vocal and (probably) one backing vocal harmonizing. I also wonder if Steuart Smith is thrown in the backing vocal mix throughout this album. He sure was/is used on the live shows.

My favorite shared vocal is probably GDIH. My favorite co-lead is Doolin-Dalton, though I love ATTIG too. I think it’s great that they mixed it up and didn’t do same vocal arrangements over and over.

I didn’t hear the LROOE album until a couple of years ago so maybe I have a different take on this than others. But I thought it odd to be listening to Timothy singing “Do Something” and Glenn singing WDIDWMH, and out of nowhere comes Don H adding his vocals. Why? It as if the band thought these songs needed a vocal boost or something. Or was it b/c he has a writing credit on these songs? Yes, shared/co-lead vocals are great but Henley already has 7 leads on the album and one co-lead (How Long) plus the barbershop quartet thing with No More Walks in the Wood. That puts him on 11 out of 20 tracks (1 which is an instrumental). Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.
    I guess for the same reason he was shoehorned into Teenage Jail. It appeared the band thought he had to be as prominent as possible. I think it works on WDIDWMH; I love the two of them singing together like that, sort of the way John & Paul used to, but in Do Something I agree - I really don't see the need for Don's part.

I should mention that Glenn sings on WITW - the low part. He's most audible towards the end of the song. I would doubt that Steuart did any harmonies, though. Surely at least on record that role was left to the band members, although the album credits are so sketchy it's possible, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    How about Randy on "Already Gone?" I say yes
    I think a stronger case can be made for OOTN. Randy’s vocal on lines like

Someone to be kind to
    In between the dark and the light
    Ooh coming right behind you,
    Swear I’m gonna find you
    One of these nights
    etc.

is so prominent he sounds like he’s taking over the lead there.

I'm not getting sidetracked by that.
    Yes, life is too short for that

I think a stronger case can be made for OOTN. Randy’s vocal on lines like

Someone to be kind to
    In between the dark and the light
    Ooh coming right behind you,
    Swear I’m gonna find you
    One of these nights
    etc.

is so prominent he sounds like he’s taking over the lead there.
    Totally agree with you, Delilah. I wondered why he wasn't listed a shared lead on this one until I read somewhere that when mixing OOTN that his mic was just turned up (for want of proper terminology) during these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    Totally agree with you, Delilah. I wondered why he wasn't listed a shared lead on this one until I read somewhere that when mixing OOTN that his mic was just turned up (for want of proper terminology) during these parts.
    Oh, I didn’t know about the mic part. If it was intentional then he should have gotten some kind of credit, if he’s not listed as co-lead. Or even if it was a mistake; surely it could have been corrected but it seems the choice was made not to.

Btw, nice avatar, ETG!

Oh, I didn’t know about the mic part. If it was intentional then he should have gotten some kind of credit, if he’s not listed as co-lead. Or even if it was a mistake; surely it could have been corrected but it seems the choice was made not to.

Btw, nice avatar, ETG!
    Unless I am mistaken on the mic part, someone correct me if I am wrong; I do not recall where I read that. I like that they did it that way but then during live performances it sounds like something is missing.

Thanks, on the avatar, he's a cutie isn't he!

I guess for the same reason he was shoehorned into Teenage Jail. It appeared the band thought he had to be as prominent as possible. I think it works on WDIDWMH; I love the two of them singing together like that, sort of the way John & Paul used to, but in Do Something I agree - I really don't see the need for Don's part.

I should mention that Glenn sings on WITW - the low part. He's most audible towards the end of the song. I would doubt that Steuart did any harmonies, though. Surely at least on record that role was left to the band members, although the album credits are so sketchy it's possible, I guess.
    Is he singing all the parts Tim does as well? But just a lower part? I wish Glenn had a more prominent role in that song than he does