Page 117 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1361

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

  1. #1161
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
    Freedom of Speech.

    I calls them as I see them just like other posters in this thread commenting on uppety Vince Gill even daring to think that he is a true Eagle-Don Henley's Eagles maybe but not the real Eagles.

    I was responding to how shocking her behavior and attire appeared to me and that's that. I guess I come from a different time and place. You can agree or disagree. Delete the post if it is a violation of posting rules and you'll get no argument from me. Just my two cents, I have no intention of dissing the miss.

    I was responding to another poster's observstion on how some wives have a hard time adjusting or "healing" once they are not on the road, and in the limelight, or on the arm of a powerful star, any more. Most rock stars wives to her credit, live vicariously through their husbands to begin with, that's nothing new. And, once the husband is gone, they have no "career" to return to for self fulfillment and oftentimes live in the past, "Glory Days," because what's the alternative.

    I think Felder was right, don't say anything negative or you'll get "fired." Or, to quote Stevie to LB when he corrected her grammar, "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan."

    Stay Tuned!

    CarolC
    I think this would make a good thread topic. Life in the slow lane. The new normal of aging rock musicians still performing on the mega tour circuit can lead to catastrophic consequences. Case in point. Tom Petty. He felt he owed his fans all he had to give and I wish he hadn't pushed himself so hard. It has been reported those last three concerts at the Hollywood Bowl were not easy for him he was in considerable pain. At some point it has to end. And when it does and the income stream dries up and there is no more adrenaline rush from adoring fans, then what?


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  2. #1162
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,233

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    All the focus on the tour is very short-sighted.

    That tour, and any comfort/income derived from it, will last a few years; it's temporary. However, the tour enabled a change that will last forever. The demotion of Glenn to "inessential former member of the Eagles" is permanent.

    Any benefits from that tour came at a hell of a price.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  3. #1163
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    24,191

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    All the focus on the tour is very short-sighted.

    That tour, and any comfort/income derived from it, will last a few years; it's temporary. However, the tour enabled a change that will last forever. The demotion of Glenn to "inessential former member of the Eagles" is permanent.

    Any benefits from that tour came at a hell of a price.

    But Soda, you're the one who says 'this too shall pass' & that in the long run () this part of the band's history won't be remembered.

  4. #1164
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,233

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But Soda, you're the one who says 'this too shall pass' & that in the long run () this part of the band's history won't be remembered.

    True. In terms of the public concept of the Eagles and their place in pop culture and music history, this aberrant "incarnation" will be forgotten once the touring ends. Even if they record (God forbid), it will soon slide into obscurity.

    But the fact that a Glenn-less "Eagles" existed remains.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  5. #1165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    So cal and Flagstaff AZ
    Posts
    114

    Cool Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    A few words about Vince Gill (aside from his touring with Henley et.al.)

    A long long time ago, Gill was in a band called Pure Prairie League. It was best known, I guess, for the single "Amy." PPL was hardly a straight-forward country band; they were very much influenced by The Flying Burritos and similar groups. Both Henley and Frey were fond of them back in the Old Days (cue the victrolas and kerosene lanterns).

    And Vince Gill has pretty serious cred: Eric Clapton has performed with Gill on several significant occasions (check out his take on "Tulsa Time" with Clapton); recording-wise, Gill has been backed by some pretty heavy folks, like Leon Russell, Waddy Wachtel, and James Burton. And - oh yeah - some guy named Leadon.

    Does he belong in this current lineup? Well, he's not the first person I'd pick, but there are likely reasons that we, The Great Unwashed Public, may never know. The music business is like that.

    Who would I pick? Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.

    What?!? A female in The Eagles? I've heard Sheryl perform Eagles songs, and she just KILLS. I used to work for her on the road, heard her perform about a thousand times, and I feel that she could probably sing anything by anybody and make it sound really good. Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...

  6. #1166
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Well, it still wouldn't be the Eagles for me. But I gotta admit that I DO have a serious wax problem. I gotta say that I didn't have associations "like that" about Crow and Henley before you mentioned it yourself. So the wax is real, but no gutter I guess.
    Last edited by chaim; 07-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

  7. #1167
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,520

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    A few words about Vince Gill (aside from his touring with Henley et.al.)

    A long long time ago, Gill was in a band called Pure Prairie League. It was best known, I guess, for the single "Amy." PPL was hardly a straight-forward country band; they were very much influenced by The Flying Burritos and similar groups. Both Henley and Frey were fond of them back in the Old Days (cue the victrolas and kerosene lanterns).

    And Vince Gill has pretty serious cred: Eric Clapton has performed with Gill on several significant occasions (check out his take on "Tulsa Time" with Clapton); recording-wise, Gill has been backed by some pretty heavy folks, like Leon Russell, Waddy Wachtel, and James Burton. And - oh yeah - some guy named Leadon.

    Does he belong in this current lineup? Well, he's not the first person I'd pick, but there are likely reasons that we, The Great Unwashed Public, may never know. The music business is like that.

    Who would I pick? Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.

    What?!? A female in The Eagles? I've heard Sheryl perform Eagles songs, and she just KILLS. I used to work for her on the road, heard her perform about a thousand times, and I feel that she could probably sing anything by anybody and make it sound really good. Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...
    I don't think I'd want her in the Eagles either but I'm a diehard Sheryl fan. Awesome singer. And for a guitarist like me, her records always have killer guitar parts. To this day one of my go to riffs to try out an echo unit is "My Favorite Mistake". I love pretty much everything she's ever done. And she has two great guitarists with in her band now - Peter Stroud and Audley Freed. Peter has played with Don Henley, Pete Droge, Sarah McLachlan, etc. And Audley had his own semi-famous southern blues/rock band called Cry Of Love that I loved, as well as playing in The Black Crowes during the period that Jimmy Page toured with them.


  8. #1168
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Sheryl is an amazing singer and musician and an excellent artist on her own. Speaking of covers of Desperado. Karen Carpenter recorded the song and her cover is still my all time favorite.

    1975 https://vimeo.com/80416460

    IIRC Sheryl was one of the iconic female artists performing at the HOF induction by Glenn Frey for Linda Ronstadt.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  9. #1169
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,233

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...

    Sheryl Crow used to be a backup singer for Don Henley.

    Word is he made a play and failed.

    But yeah, they're still good friends and I hear he's appearing on her new album.

    Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.
    I remember back in 2005 or 2006, there was talk about Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac. I think that might be what you're thinking of, instead of talk about Sheryl Crow joining the Eagles. Of course, anything's possible.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  10. #1170
    Border Rebel groupie2686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

    I'm not a fan of Sheryl Crow, but even if I was, I would still be totally set against her joining the Eagles. No Glenn = no Eagles for me, regardless of who would be tapped to replace him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •