Page 135 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Here's the larger context of the quote (the rest of the article is about his solo stuff):

-----------------------

Gill, who in concert sang Eagles classics including “New Kid in Town,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It to the Limit,” had expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back.

“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

As it turns out, Gill’s high, honeyed tenor voice was just what the Eagles needed. And while his guitar playing is almost as renowned as his singing, he hasn’t been called on much to solo with the Eagles, who already have guitar aces Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith in the lineup.

“They don’t need one more shredding guitar player,” Gill admits. “The songs don’t all have that much solo-minded stuff in them, and the ones that do have these specific, iconic, memorable, well-thought-out guitar parts that are already taken. Just because I can play doesn’t mean that I need to.”

---------------------

UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.
    I never cared much about him either, it's all of the people who do hold that view that his reputation is that of "the nicest guy in the business". But if I was a Vince fan I'd have plenty to be disappointed with.

I'd have to disagree with him about the so called lack of guitar solo oriented stuff. Most of the stuff from OTB forward was guitar heavy, so much so I'd consider them a guitar oriented band. But I agree with him that those parts are iconic, and I agree he has no business playing them. I think he's more of a Bernie type guitarist anyway and a lot of that music is very classic rock oriented and needs that style to be right.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I never cared much about him either, it's all of the people who do hold that view that his reputation is that of "the nicest guy in the business". But if I was a Vince fan I'd have plenty to be disappointed with.

I'd have to disagree with him about the so called lack of guitar solo oriented stuff. Most of the stuff from OTB forward was guitar heavy, so much so I'd consider them a guitar oriented band. But I agree with him that those parts are iconic, and I agree he has no business playing them. I think he's more of a Bernie type guitarist anyway and a lot of that music is very classic rock oriented and needs that style to be right.
    I think he's a nice guy in other areas who was blinded by what he wanted so badly - to be an Eagle - that he's shoved any and all moral considerations that would have interfered with fulfilling that desire aside.

A nice man corrupted by his desires. Whether it's sex, money, or something else, it's an age old story.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think he's a nice guy in other areas who was blinded by what he wanted so badly - to be an Eagle - that he's shoved any and all moral considerations that would have interfered with fulfilling that desire aside.

A nice man corrupted by his desires. Whether it's sex, money, or something else, it's an age old story.
    Exactly, soda!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Exactly! Again... #NoGlennNoEagles

[QUOTE=WalshFan88;384261

I'm sorry Vince but you aren't an Eagle. Never will be (contrary to what 3.0 supporters think and what's on the marquee), he's not an Eagle.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    He's just not deserving of that title. To use a Timothy phrase, he wasn't in the trenches with this band. He did nothing to help them to success. He wasn't there. He's simply a salaried sideman in this band now. And the same goes for Deacon.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

pippin recently posted an interview that Don, Joe, Timothy, and Deacon did in Australia over in the Eagles You Tube thread. As usual, Don feels compelled to justify the band's continued existence. Here's a quote ...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley - Australian interview May 2019
    Glenn will always be missed. We’re not replacing Glenn. Glenn is not replaceable. We don’t pretend it’s the same band. But it’s the songs that matter.
    No, Don, by definition, you have replaced the irreplaceable Glenn - talking out of both sides of your mouth won't persuade your detractors. But maybe, by repeating the same spiel over and over, it helps you feel good about your decision. And, yes, Don, by calling this band Eagles, you are pretending it is the same band and you are reaping the financial gain that only that name can deliver. And if it's just the songs that matter, why don't you lower your prices so that all of the fans that want to hear them can afford to do so. Same ole BS!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    pippin recently posted an interview that Don, Joe, Timothy, and Deacon did in Australia over in the Eagles You Tube thread. As usual, Don feels compelled to justify the band's continued existence. Here's a quote ...

No, Don, by definition, you have replaced the irreplaceable Glenn - talking out of both sides of your mouth won't persuade your detractors. But maybe, by repeating the same spiel over and over, it helps you feel good about your decision. And, yes, Don, by calling this band Eagles, you are pretending it is the same band and you are reaping the financial gain that only that name can deliver. And if it's just the songs that matter, why don't you lower your prices so that all of the fans that want to hear them can afford to do so. Same ole BS!
    Same old BS is right. He sure is hypocritical these days. I personally think for someone who doesn't pull any punches in being upset by or put off by other people for anything and everything, he is quite imperfect himself. To me I can only take so much of Don's preachiness before I have to listen to something else. To me he needs to start by looking in the mirror. To use a Glenn term - he needs to do some soul searchin'!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Yes, Don is right, it's not the same band. So a different name would be nice. After all, it's the songs that matter, like Don said again.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yes, Don is right, it's not the same band. So a different name would be nice. After all, it's the songs that matter, like Don said again.
    Exactly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten