Page 118 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Sheryl Crow used to be a backup singer for Don Henley.

Word is he made a play and failed.
    Interesting. I remembered that but couldn't remember if that was Trisha Yearwood or Sheryl Crow I was remembering.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Trisha Yearwood was never his backup singer. However, romantically... well, rumor has it that when they worked together, she was a bit more receptive to his advances. Nothing serious, though. No hard evidence for this though - just rumor. Perhaps they just were really good friends with visible chemistry who spent a lot of time together, and people got to gossiping!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Sheryl Crow, but even if I was, I would still be totally set against her joining the Eagles. No Glenn = no Eagles for me, regardless of who would be tapped to replace him.
    Exactly. It's not a difficult concept, but some people still seem to have a hard time grasping it.

Trisha Yearwood was never his backup singer. However, romantically... well, rumor has it that when they worked together, she was a bit more receptive to his advances. Nothing serious, though. No hard evidence for this though - just rumor. Perhaps they just were really good friends with visible chemistry who spent a lot of time together, and people got to gossiping!
    Yeah I knew she wasn't a backup singer but I couldn't remember if the romantic "stuff" was Trisha or Sheryl. I knew I had heard something about it here. So he made a pass at both of them! I couldn't remember, lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    A few words about Vince Gill (aside from his touring with Henley et.al.)

A long long time ago, Gill was in a band called Pure Prairie League. It was best known, I guess, for the single "Amy." PPL was hardly a straight-forward country band; they were very much influenced by The Flying Burritos and similar groups. Both Henley and Frey were fond of them back in the Old Days (cue the victrolas and kerosene lanterns).

And Vince Gill has pretty serious cred: Eric Clapton has performed with Gill on several significant occasions (check out his take on "Tulsa Time" with Clapton); recording-wise, Gill has been backed by some pretty heavy folks, like Leon Russell, Waddy Wachtel, and James Burton. And - oh yeah - some guy named Leadon.

Does he belong in this current lineup? Well, he's not the first person I'd pick, but there are likely reasons that we, The Great Unwashed Public, may never know. The music business is like that.

Who would I pick? Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.

What?!? A female in The Eagles? I've heard Sheryl perform Eagles songs, and she just KILLS. I used to work for her on the road, heard her perform about a thousand times, and I feel that she could probably sing anything by anybody and make it sound really good. Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...
    I don't know how to put this politely.

I'm not interested in Vince Gill & his 'serious cred'. I'm not interested in why he was picked, I am also not interested in Sheryl Crow. How diluted could this thing get. Desperation time.

Peneumbra, you got upset with my response to another of your posts. I stress that I don't wish to argue with you & you are entitled to your views. Defend Gill if you must. But also please remember which thread this is.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I'm not interested in Vince Gill & his 'serious cred'. I'm not interested in why he was picked, I am also not interested in Sheryl Crow. How diluted could this thing get. Desperation time.

Peneumbra, you got upset with my response to another of your posts. I stress that I don't wish to argue with you & you are entitled to your views. Defend Gill if you must. But also please remember which thread this is.
    Well said, FP.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Glenn Frey was in a league all his own.

That's why the term "irreplaceable" fits.

And why no matter who stands in to sing his songs looks and feels like an imposter.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Agreed. And whatever reasons there were behind hiring Vince Gill, he's still a pretty lousy Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Agreed. And whatever reasons there were behind hiring Vince Gill, he's still a pretty lousy Eagle.

There's the sticking point.

I remember line dancing to "What the Cowgirls Do" on multiple occasions during my college days at Texas A&M, so I actually had a clue who he was before this (besides Mr. Amy Grant and "man at every Nashville event"). Note: if you go clubbing in Texas, at some point, you will line dance. Don't judge. lol

However, even if it were Lindsey Buckingham, he'd been unworthy of replacing Glenn Frey. NO ONE can.

However, even if it were Lindsey Buckingham, he'd been unworthy of replacing Glenn Frey. NO ONE can.
    Not even Deacon.

And I say that because it seemed the Eagles were over and done (Henley's words) until Deacon was "discovered."