Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1357

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Why would you HOPE that they would be better without Glenn? I just don't understand that comment.
    Pardon my optimism but every concert I attend, I hope will be the best I've attended. If I attend another Eagles concert, I hope it'll be the best I've ever attended, if Eagles make a new album, I hope it'll be better than my current favourites Hotel California and Long Road Out Of Eden.

    I was very disappointed that Randy wasn't included in the HFO line up but they were fantastic without him. I wouldn't dismiss the posibility of them being great without Glenn, although I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.

  2. #322
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    24,191

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Pardon my optimism but every concert I attend, I hope will be the best I've attended. If I attend another Eagles concert, I hope it'll be the best I've ever attended, if Eagles make a new album, I hope it'll be better than my current favourites Hotel California and Long Road Out Of Eden.

    I was very disappointed that Randy wasn't included in the HFO line up but they were fantastic without him. I wouldn't dismiss the posibility of them being great without Glenn, although I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.
    Well that is where we differ.

    Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn. They can be a cover band. As for making an album, if such a scenario was to occur, you know very well it would be a Don Henley solo album in all but name. You'd have your token Walsh & Schmit tracks. You'd have your token Gill track & perhaps a token Deacon Frey track. How that could possibly be 'better' I have no idea. There is a great difference between 'hoping' for something and looking at the grim reality of it.

    The situation with Randy is entirely diifferent as he had left the band in 1977. He also did not have the large number of songwriting credits & lead vocals Glenn had. You just echo the uninformed view that anyone can sing & play Glenn's parts & it doesn't matter; hell, it could even be 'better'. It's just unfair. It's wrong to be so dismissive of Glenn's talents. But whatever. I've gone over this so often that I can't continue to do it.

  3. #323

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Pardon my optimism but every concert I attend, I hope will be the best I've attended. If I attend another Eagles concert, I hope it'll be the best I've ever attended, if Eagles make a new album, I hope it'll be better than my current favourites Hotel California and Long Road Out Of Eden.

    I was very disappointed that Randy wasn't included in the HFO line up but they were fantastic without him. I wouldn't dismiss the posibility of them being great without Glenn, although I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.
    I really donít see why they would put Randy in the HFO lineup. They had Timothy. He left and was replaced. I prefer Randy but it made sense. Randy also didnít settle down like the others did. He is still drinking a lot and has issues. I think Tim was a great guy for the second half of the band

  4. #324
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well that is where we differ.

    Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn. They can be a cover band. As for making an album, if such a scenario was to occur, you know very well it would be a Don Henley solo album in all but name. You'd have your token Walsh & Schmit tracks. You'd have your token Gill track & perhaps a token Deacon Frey track. How that could possibly be 'better' I have no idea. There is a great difference between 'hoping' for something and looking at the grim reality of it.

    The situation with Randy is entirely diifferent as he had left the band in 1977. He also did not have the large number of songwriting credits & lead vocals Glenn had. You just echo the uninformed view that anyone can sing & play Glenn's parts & it doesn't matter; hell, it could even be 'better'. It's just unfair. It's wrong to be so dismissive of Glenn's talents. But whatever. I've gone over this so often that I can't continue to do it.
    I so agree FP.

    From the very beginning Glenn Frey was the one with the charismatic personality leading the charge. Without Glenn, quite simply, there would be no Eagles.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  5. #325
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,747

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Anyway, even though she doesn't like the current lineup Soda's opinion must count, because - although she wasn't invited to the party - Glenn called her on the phone.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-30-2017 at 11:40 PM.

  6. #326
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Anyway, even though she doesn't like the current lineup Soda's opinion must count, because - although she wasn't invited to the party - Glenn called her on the phone.
    Yes he did.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  7. #327
    Stuck on the Border WalshFan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    10,379

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    It doesn't surprise me that F50 would "hope" the Eagles would be better without Glenn. It's pretty easy to discern from his posts on this board that he isn't a Glenn fan and he doesn't like Glenn's fans either. I don't get it. It's quite like someone saying they aren't a Glenn fan anymore because they don't like the comments we've made. It's a poor excuse, IMO. Likely they never were a fan.

    Glenn was the Eagles to me when it came right down to the wire. The sum is greater than the parts but I feel he was the MVP of the band. While I wouldn't see them without Glenn or Don, for me anyway it always felt like it was Glenn's band and while Glenn and Don made band decisions, it was always Glenn's band and I feel that to be the case. But still, no Glenn OR Don = no "Eagles" IMO. Period.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles 1972-2016
    #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

    RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016
    "People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time"



  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well that is where we differ.

    ....Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn..... .
    I'm glad that "most of us" doesn't include the rest of the band, which currently includes his son, Deacon.

    I became an Eagles fan in the late 70s, when Henley was far more prominent than Frey. I became a Frey fan during his solo career, so I've been a GF fan for a long time. I'm sure most of his fans are fine too but there is an unpleasant minority who seem to judge everybody, simply by how much they praise Glenn and are pretty hostile to those that don't reach the mark.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 12-01-2017 at 06:13 AM.

  9. #329
    Border Desperado
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Why would you HOPE that they would be better without Glenn? I just don't understand that comment.
    I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
    I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
    I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.

  10. #330
    Moderator Brooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)
    Posts
    20,895

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
    I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
    I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.
    BB, thank you for that comment. I can understand what you are saying.

    For me, the Eagles are done because their leader has left. They would have also been done if it would have been Don H that had died. Without either of them, the Eagles are gone. I have no desire to seen the new group. I hope all of you that want to see them enjoys it. It's just not for me. I hold no grudges against any of you that like it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •