Page 140 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I don't get the appeal of new recordings of the same old songs but with a different line-up. How does it differ from a cover band? If I bought recordings by Talon, at least there would be some of the more obscure songs amongst the old favourites. Of course, what I'm more likely to do is listen to bootlegs from the 70s if I want to hear a genuine "live" performance. Instead of yet another rendition of "Hotel California", I'd rather listen to Bernie tuning his banjo after breaking a string, or Glenn complaining about the food in London before launching into a fresh version of a song that they haven't played for years.

This recent version of the "Eagles" is just a glossy facsimile.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I don't get the appeal of new recordings of the same old songs but with a different line-up. How does it differ from a cover band?
    Exactly. "Here's the exact same songs that you love, ones that we've already re-released in every possible form multiples times already - studio, multiple live versions, multiple studio and live remastered versions, live on video a couple times - only now they're sung by different people, most of whom weren't there originally, and the ones that were can't sing as well as they used to. Only $150 for the Deluxe Set, or get the cheap one at $25!"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

groupie - I can't say I'm surprised with your disappointment nor do I doubt that they don't sound the same.

And I so totally agree with you, UTW. If I understand it correctly, isn't a cover band one that performs the songs previously recorded by another artist? Just because they can legally call themselves the Eagles doesn't make a performance any more authentic and legitimate. As I've said before, eventually Henley and Walsh can be replaced (maybe even by their blood relatives, which makes it okay according to Henley) and they could still legally be the Eagles. Ah - I don't think so ... no thank you. So wrong, IMO!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Personally I think I could probably watch their performance if it was shown here on TV, but I do consider it a huge mess in terms of authenticity and "eaglesness"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, don't throw tomatoes (or anything else!) at me, but I will admit I caved and watched this. I have been in agreement with No Glenn, No Eagles since the beginning. I guess curiosity got the best of me and I watched it. Maybe time has healed me somewhat. I don't know!

I must say that everyone looked wonderful and it was really a great show. They gave several mentions of Glenn throughout (and had his picture up behind them at one point) and Deacon in particular was very humble when doing his intro for the songs he sang. They also showed a video clip of Glenn and Chris Berman at the very beginning that was great. I was sad whenever Glenn's songs were done, but they were done so well and the band sounded so good I managed to get through it. Vince Gill also did a great job, which I expected since he has quite the reputation prior to joining the Eagles. No doubt about it, Vince is a class act. The Forum was packed to the rafters. And, evidently no one cared about cell phones because I noticed people filming several times.

Mind you, I still will not be buying any tickets to see them live. That just doesn't interest me without Glenn. I'm sure it is a money grab by all band members, but they certainly do put on a fantastic performance.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".
    Well, I'm a die hard Glenn/Eagles fan since 1972. No, he isn't Glenn, but he is a fantastic artist in his own right and the band did a wonderful job on all the songs. No, Glenn isn't there, but I could feel the love they all had for him. Believe me, it's hard knowing we'll never see him again with his band. I don't care what the rest of them do in the future and I won't be going to watch them. But this concert was great! And yes, I missed Glenn.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Well, I'm a die hard Glenn/Eagles fan since 1972. No, he isn't Glenn, but he is a fantastic artist in his own right and the band did a wonderful job on all the songs. No, Glenn isn't there, but I could feel the love they all had for him. Believe me, it's hard knowing we'll never see him again with his band. I don't care what the rest of them do in the future and I won't be going to watch them. But this concert was great! And yes, I missed Glenn.
    I didn't mean to downplay your experience. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. It's just that I've never doubted the musicianship of this lineup and I might even enjoy it myself if I don't think of it as 'Eagles'.

Well said UTW, Soda, Dreamer, and Chaim!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Ok, don't throw tomatoes (or anything else!) at me, but I will admit I caved and watched this. I have been in agreement with No Glenn, No Eagles since the beginning. I guess curiosity got the best of me and I watched it. Maybe time has healed me somewhat. I don't know!

I must say that everyone looked wonderful and it was really a great show. They gave several mentions of Glenn throughout (and had his picture up behind them at one point) and Deacon in particular was very humble when doing his intro for the songs he sang. They also showed a video clip of Glenn and Chris Berman at the very beginning that was great. I was sad whenever Glenn's songs were done, but they were done so well and the band sounded so good I managed to get through it. Vince Gill also did a great job, which I expected since he has quite the reputation prior to joining the Eagles. No doubt about it, Vince is a class act. The Forum was packed to the rafters. And, evidently no one cared about cell phones because I noticed people filming several times.

Mind you, I still will not be buying any tickets to see them live. That just doesn't interest me without Glenn. I'm sure it is a money grab by all band members, but they certainly do put on a fantastic performance.
    LOL, I won't throw tomatoes at you but I just cannot fathom liking those performances, Brooke. Nothing personal. I just vehemently disagree. I've seen YouTube clips, so I know what Deacon and Vince sing like on those songs. It's just dreadful to me, although I DO prefer Deacon singing Glenn's songs, it's still just not right IMO. Vince on the other hand has no business on an "Eagles" stage, Faux Eagles or not. Sorry, JMO.

I just think that Vince Gill is extremely overrated and I do NOT like him one iota. Deacon I have respect for, although I think it's beyond time for him to form his own path and use his Eagles experience as one hell of a resume to either join a band, or better yet start one or go out as a solo artist. I don't like rap music AT ALL or that culture, but if that's his calling I say go for it with both arms and feet. Same applies for EDM. Whatever it is, he has my support. I think it's just not healthy to devote your adult life to trying to be someone else, especially a family member that you will no doubt be compared to, and not always favorably so.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."