Page 111 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Well, PEF is already out there. It was part of the commercial.

I'm not planning on buying tickets to find out. Although tickets are only $55, that's a big drop from Eagles prices.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I'm not sure if I'd mind one Eagles song, but several would certainly send a strong "I'm part of the Eagles legacy" message IMO.

Stuck on the Border

He has probably also given been permission to play the songs. They are 'his' songs now, he thinks.

I would hope he might at some stage get tired of playing someone else's music night after night.

On a related note....

Dave Grohl discusses replacing Neil Peart as Rush' drummer

Earlier this year, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson revealed that after 41 years, the band was “basically done”, noting that the group had been slowing down since 2015 when legendary drummer Neil Peart announced his retirement from touring.

“It’s been a little over two years since Rush last toured,” explained Lifeson in January. “We have no plans to tour or record any more. We’re basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough.”

Now, in a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Dave Grohl was asked a hypothetical question about whether he would replace Neil Peart as the drummer of Rush if the group’s remaining members ever approached him about the possibility.

“I would say, ‘I’m not physically or musically capable, but thanks for the offer’,” Dave explained. “Neil Peart, that’s a whole other animal, another species of drummer. I know the arrangements, but I’m like Meg White to Neil Peart."

Dave Grohl is being really modest here - he is totally physically and musically capable, but he has too much respect for his hero. Even if Rush asked, he'd say no. That's a real fan.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He has probably also given been permission to play the songs. They are 'his' songs now, he thinks.

I would hope he might at some stage get tired of playing someone else's music night after night.

We're told that Vince Gill isn't an 'Eagle', and hasn't replaced Glenn, so why is he performing his own songs as part of the Eagles shows?

BTW, I hadn't even heard of him until he appeared on Cass County. He might be well known in Nashville, but in the UK (and probably most of the world) he's an unknown, so he could never fill Glenn's shoes. To me he's just another hired hand.

Maybe they should have just asked one of their other hired hands to sing Glenn's songs - that would have been somewhat more 'ethical' than bringing in Gill. It would have been no more of a tribute band than it is now, and they could have saved some of that money they're so fond of!

It's true that Glenn said the Eagles were a business, but so is any band as it's how they earn their living, and they employ people etc. It has to be run as a business or it would be chaos. However, writing songs and playing music & singing is as an art, so you'd expect some artistic integrity.

Stuck on the Border

With respect to Will & the other backing musicians that is what they are - backing musicians. They are not 'personalities' or 'names' in any sense. Also presumably they chose to be backing musicians for a reason. A 'name' was needed in addition to Deacon Frey to try & make this thing saleable.

But you are absolutely right about Gill's profile in the rest of the world. He is unknown here too. I would hope if they attempt to come down here, they will be met with indifference, low ticket sales, and cancellation due to 'scheduling conflicts'. It happened to Barry Gibb. It can happen to them. Of course there is as yet no indication that they plan to take the circus outside the US.

Stuck on the Border

Eagles music has existed without Vince Gill for almost 45 years or something. It's very strange if people now go to to a Vince Gill concert to hear the Eagles hits.

Border Desperado

I can't really explain why I feel this way......I don't wish any of the 60's or 70's bands still touring with only one or maybe even no original members to enjoy enormous wealth, but I also don't wish for them to fail miserably either. What I do wish for is that some day soon wisdom and integrity will prevail.
    Last edited by WKMB55; 07-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    With respect to Will & the other backing musicians that is what they are - backing musicians. They are not 'personalities' or 'names' in any sense. Also presumably they chose to be backing musicians for a reason. A 'name' was needed in addition to Deacon Frey to try & make this thing saleable.

But you are absolutely right about Gill's profile in the rest of the world. He is unknown here too. I would hope if they attempt to come down here, they will be met with indifference, low ticket sales, and cancellation due to 'scheduling conflicts'. It happened to Barry Gibb. It can happen to them. Of course there is as yet no indication that they plan to take the circus outside the US.
    My comment about using the support musicians was 'tongue in check'. It was intended to show my feelings about them trying to carry on without Glenn, largely for the sake of money.
    You are, of course, quite right about the 'backing musicians'. They chose their career, are respected for what they do, but are not 'names'.

p.s. Freypower, I know you wouldn't be disrespectful about Will in a reply to me

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    My comment about using the support musicians was 'tongue in check'. It was intended to show my feelings about them trying to carry on without Glenn, largely for the sake of money.
    You are, of course, quite right about the 'backing musicians'. They chose their career, are respected for what they do, but are not 'names'.

p.s. Freypower, I know you wouldn't be disrespectful about Will in a reply to me

English understatement. I should have realised.