Page 141 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".
    A-freaking-men, Chaim - and I'm not even religious! Lol.

Vince gives himself far too much credit. An Eagle he is not. I think he's overrated as a singer/musician, but that's subjective. That said, I do not like him one bit as a person, and that's personal and not debatable.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I am one of those who think it's not the Eagles without Glenn, but my curiosity got the better of me and I watched the ESPN concert for about 15 minutes before turning it off in disgust. It's just not the same. Their harmonies on Seven Bridges Road sounded dreadful and so different, like it was a completely different band (which, imo, it is). It wasn't right to me to have anyone else singing Glenn's songs - and it was Vince Gill starting New Kid in Town that made me turn it off. They didn't really interact like they used to, even Joe was missing his usual energy. It just seemed like a ploy for money. Glenn was the heart of this band, made even more apparent by seeing them attempt to go on without him. I may watch HOTE soon, however...
    Hi Groupie - how are you doing ? I have to say my curiosity get the best of me too. I watched about half of it in between channel surfing other shows. I agree about SBR - I thought they sounded flat and I did not care for it. I did not care for Vince's version of NKIT and some of the other songs he sang. I do think Deacon did a good job on TIE. Vince did a good job on TITTL(though no one beats Randy ! ) and Don and Deacon did an ok job on How Long. I thought HC sounded flat and and IMHO not very good. I thought Tim's singing at times seemed strained. A shallow version of the real Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how this sells. I think they would sell much better I they released classic Eagles. Fans have been waiting for this forever. They could release a HOTE dvd from the beginning of the tour in 2013. Glenn looked fine than. Even people on the fan sites say they keep looking for a dvd of that tour. I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, as I said in an earlier post, I believe everyone has a right to make their own choices about this, but, I am not even remotely interested in seeing this. For me, it is not a question of talent. I believe all of these men have an abundance of talent without question. However, they are not and will never be the Eagles that I was a fan of for over 40 years. They replaced a member and the leader of their band that they all said was irreplaceable. If I want to see a group of musicians perform Eagles songs, there are several very talented tribute/cover bands that I can see at a very reasonable price. For this band to continue to call this lineup the Eagles and charge the prices that they are charging is very simply a fraud AFAIC. Any of us can find a very pretty cubic zirconia piece of jewelry that is an imitation of a diamond. But, because it is an imitation, the price is much lower than the genuine precious gemstone. I was taught to value genuineness and authenticity. If you pay the same price or more for the cubic zirconia as you did for a diamond, you would feel rip-offed and cheated. So, the biggest issue for me is that I find the band's disrespect, greed, and hypocrisy repulsive and have no intention of ever enabling them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I guess I could call Gill's versions "nice", but I hear nothing special in the Eagles context. I think I could enjoy the Glenn songs as nice cover versions, but it is not EAGLES I hear. He's a professional singer, so he can sing, but he will NEVER be an Eagles singer to me.

Border Rebel

I wasn't going to weigh in on this for obvious reasons, but I decided to anyway. Because it was free for us to watch and we were at home on Sunday night with nothing else to do, we watched the ESPN "Eagles" show. I did not have high expectations although I was pleasantly surprised at how good most of the songs were performed. I missed Glenn everywhere---through his master of ceremonies role, his lead and harmony vocals and his whole persona as part of the Eagles. There is simply NO replacement for him, but that did not mean that I couldn't enjoy this show for what it was. Vince Gill is more than a capable singer and guitarist and he handled his role admirably. Deacon did what he needed to do and also acquitted himself well.

One thing I did notice was that there was a little bit more spontaneity on stage than there usually is. And Joe's solos definitely seemed more improvised than what I was expecting. I would never go see this band live for many reasons, but I found the show to be worthy of watching and was thrilled with Timothy's shoutout to Randy Meisner, who apparently was in the audience.

Glenn, not being there, really changes the dynamic of the band, for sure. It's not the same and will never be, but I'd much rather see these guys play from home than pay to see any cover band do the same anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".
    Yeah. I agree with this assessment in the end. I'm sure they endeavor to put on a good show, and if these guys had called themselves something else besides "Eagles", I know I would have ponied up for a seat - although at these prices, I couldn't have sat very close. Heck, I'd have travelled to do so. I miss seeing them play. Going to Eagles shows was a big part of my life for ten years. All told, I went to 31. That's not counting solo shows, folks.

But I'll never reward their continuance of the band without Glenn by buying a ticket to a show or a copy of this concert. It's the principle of it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

For sure, the Eagles just aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. His songwriting and vocals were an integral part of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here.

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post:
    “I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
    Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.
    Mark Wesley Curran Music
    http://www.MarkWesleyCurran.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wesley Curran View Post
    For sure, the Eagles just aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. His songwriting and vocals were an integral part of the group.
    Amen!

And his leadership, direction, and arranging were also integral. He wasn't called the Lone Arranger for nothing, afterall. And I think he was a far better MC and frontman than Don Henley. He had the charisma and personality to speak to the audience and engage them with is funny bits and his introduction of the band and his jokes about the songs and where he was from. He truly kept it light/fun and everyone loved him!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome, Mark.

You won't get any argument from any of us here. Although each member of the band made significant contributions, Glenn Frey was the heart and soul of the EAGLES. There is simply no replacement for him and the remaining band members all said so after his death. It's sad that they succumbed to the almighty dollar. I guess that's why they say it's the root of all evil.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Groupie - how are you doing ? I have to say my curiosity get the best of me too. I watched about half of it in between channel surfing other shows. I agree about SBR - I thought they sounded flat and I did not care for it. I did not care for Vince's version of NKIT and some of the other songs he sang. I do think Deacon did a good job on TIE. Vince did a good job on TITTL(though no one beats Randy ! ) and Don and Deacon did an ok job on How Long. I thought HC sounded flat and and IMHO not very good. I thought Tim's singing at times seemed strained. A shallow version of the real Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how this sells. I think they would sell much better I they released classic Eagles. Fans have been waiting for this forever. They could release a HOTE dvd from the beginning of the tour in 2013. Glenn looked fine than. Even people on the fan sites say they keep looking for a dvd of that tour. I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
    Hi New Kid, how are you? I've been really busy with work lately and haven't had a chance to come on here. I was listening to pandora at work and Hotel California came on - from the 2018 concert, without Glenn. Don sounded as good as always but the harmonies sounded off and lower, showing just how essential Glenn was to their sound. I also thought Steuart made a mistake on the guitar solo...it just wasn't the same!