Page 1 of 145 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here.

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post:
    “I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
    Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Here's our thread to express discontent. Sorry if the existence of this one thread pisses some people off, but we need a place to let off steam.

I'm not going to try to bring others down, but I'm not going to pretend to be excited about it either, which seems to be what some people want from me.

I'm resigned to this and I expected it. I'm just going to grit my teeth and endure it. They can only do it for a few more years, surely. This too shall pass.

In a decade, we can all look back on it as an inglorious period that's best forgotten... and undoubtedly will be. When people talk of the great band that was the Eagles, the one that made music that changed lives, that changed the world, they won't be talking about this act.

So I'll just keep looking forward to the day when this ends, as it must, eventually. Until then, I'm going to ignore all the reviews, all the photos, all the videos. I'm not going to visit the review threads unless there's some drama I need to deal with as an admin (hopefully never). I have nothing to add to those threads.

I was surprised by Azoff's "celebration" comment and I'm not sure what to make of it. We'll see if anything like that ever gets said again. If it were legit... but I've become wary. When I hear exactly what I want to hear, I wonder if I'm being played (isn't that terribly cynical?) As I said, we'll see.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Well Soda, should I apologise for posting in the 2018 thread where they're all trying to celebrate unencumbered by the likes of us? I will then; I apologise for having posted there.

I wish I could agree with you that this too shall pass, when all around us we see it being celebrated & praised as the new normal.

However if we can still post here about what we dislike, I will say here that I found Walsh's comment about Gill filling the 'ghost voice in the harmonies' crass & insensitive. It was not just harmonies, for a start. Never mind.

You know very well how it's going to be billed. I would even bet that they will drop the 'with DF & VG' tag.

You don't have to apologize, but I actually find it freeing to have a thread like this. It's not just for their benefit. It's for ours.

I don't like to argue either, and I have no desire to try to convince someone who's perfectly happy about "Eagles 3.0" - or the "nuEagles" or whatever you want to call them - that they shouldn't be. Still, when news like this breaks, I do want to talk about how I feel with people who get what I'm saying.

I know not everyone agrees obviously, and several of the "pro" camp actively choose to come in here and argue about it, but at this point, most stay away from this thread. I find that to be a relief.

Another benefit is that having the discontent here keeps other threads from detouring into back-and-forths over the same topic again and again. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, some may leak through as there will always be resentment that dissent exists. However, it's minimized.

Stuck on the Border

Well, I guess I should apologize too as I am the one who apparently started it all. Jeez, what a freaking mess ! I never thought I would find myself arguing over something like this, especially with everything else we have going on in the world for the past year.
    FP - I have to say I could not agree with you more regarding Joe's statement about Vince. It hurt reading that from Joe. I realize he is trying to justify Vince's being in the band but still a poor choice of words. I just don't get how people think they are supposed to support everything the band does -right or wrong, just because they are fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well Soda, should I apologise for posting in the 2018 thread where they're all trying to celebrate unencumbered by the likes of us? I will then; I apologise for having posted there.

I wish I could agree with you that this too shall pass, when all around us we see it being celebrated & praised as the new normal.

However if we can still post here about what we dislike, I will say here that I found Walsh's comment about Gill filling the 'ghost voice in the harmonies' crass & insensitive. It was not just harmonies, for a start. Never mind.

You know very well how it's going to be billed. I would even bet that they will drop the 'with DF & VG' tag.
    I also did not care for Walsh's comment -- it WAS crass and insensitive. But it confirms the sad reality that Glenn Frey has been replaced which from the very beginning is something the band appeared unable and/or unwilling to own up to.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I also did not care for Walsh's comment -- it WAS crass and insensitive. But it confirms the sad reality that Glenn Frey has been replaced which from the very beginning is something the band appeared unable and/or unwilling to own up to.
    Which part did you find crass? Just the overall tone or was there a specific comment

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Which part did you find crass? Just the overall tone or was there a specific comment
    Crass/insensitve referring to his choice of words.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Crass/insensitve referring to his choice of words.
    Could you just give an exmaple? I didn’t read anything I found to be that way but I didn’t read too deeply

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Could you just give an exmaple? I didn’t read anything I found to be that way but I didn’t read too deeply
    I have already quoted the exact words to which I took exception, but I have included the entire passage & bolded the words.

In an interview published in the Las Vegas Sun today (Nov. 14), where he has three shows at the House of Blues at the Mandalay Bay, Joe Walsh was asked about the group’s string of 2017 dates and whether the band would tour in 2018: “Yes, we are. You know, we had to try. We didn’t know if we could do it, so we had to try. Glenn’s son said OK and stepped up; he’s 23 and he’s great. He doesn’t know he’s great but he’s great, and that really helped us spiritually. Then we got Vince Gill and he filled in that ghost voice in the harmonies, and he’s a brilliant musician.
    “So we rehearsed and I was really nervous about it, but we played a couple shows and got great reviews and it just felt right onstage. It felt great. So we took a deep breath and recommitted and yes, next year we’re going to play between 40 and 50 shows. It sure feels good to play our music for people again, and they know the words better than we do.”

http://bestclassicbands.com/eagles-t...sive-11-14-17/

Oh, and repeating 'great' FIVE times makes Walsh sound like Donald Trump.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-15-2017 at 10:32 PM.