Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Here's the larger context of the quote (the rest of the article is about his solo stuff):

-----------------------

Gill, who in concert sang Eagles classics including “New Kid in Town,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It to the Limit,” had expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back.

“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

As it turns out, Gill’s high, honeyed tenor voice was just what the Eagles needed. And while his guitar playing is almost as renowned as his singing, he hasn’t been called on much to solo with the Eagles, who already have guitar aces Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith in the lineup.

“They don’t need one more shredding guitar player,” Gill admits. “The songs don’t all have that much solo-minded stuff in them, and the ones that do have these specific, iconic, memorable, well-thought-out guitar parts that are already taken. Just because I can play doesn’t mean that I need to.”

---------------------

UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.
I never cared much about him either, it's all of the people who do hold that view that his reputation is that of "the nicest guy in the business". But if I was a Vince fan I'd have plenty to be disappointed with.

I'd have to disagree with him about the so called lack of guitar solo oriented stuff. Most of the stuff from OTB forward was guitar heavy, so much so I'd consider them a guitar oriented band. But I agree with him that those parts are iconic, and I agree he has no business playing them. I think he's more of a Bernie type guitarist anyway and a lot of that music is very classic rock oriented and needs that style to be right.