Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Do you guys think Deacon is talented enough to go on his own and do his own thing? I think he’s pretty good but not he’s not the star his dad was. I think it’s a wise decision from his end as he can improve himself for a couple years get some more recognition before he decides to go on his own. I’m also afraid the music the Eagles play isn’t exactly mainstream anymore so if he likes the stuff the Eagles play, finding a market to grow might be hard. It’s a tough but exciting place for him to be
    I'd like to see Deacon sing a song or two of his own at the concerts. I think it's been suggested before that maybe he could try to write with one or more of the other guys? He's got some good songwriters to learn from. If he doesn't seem to have much songwriting ability, it would be nice to see him sing a new song or two written by somebody else. Just MHO.

As to forgoing his life and living his father's, it's nice that people here make that conclusion about him. He obviously doesn't feel the same way. As you say, he's well compensated. Also, I'm sure he's learning a lot, and he's said that he finds it healing -- no small consideration when you've lost your dad at a fairly young age.

Border Desperado

He's still a very young man. He may very well be looking at these 4 or 5 years as an amazing internship. I mean how many musicians get to learn from, and play with the likes of Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Vince Gill. Talk about different styles of music that you can just pick these guys brains about.
    I don't see him foregoing anything. It's actually refreshing to see someone his age, capable of delayed gratification. It seems like he doesn't feel the need to act now, go now, do now. He's content to learn a craft, hone it...and will probably be better off for it.

People forget that he was not even a professional musician before all this.

You can't expect him to be able to write songs just because he's Glenn Frey's son.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Deacon is basically foregoing having his own identity for several years, singing his father's songs, playing his father's music, living his father's life...but he'll be well compensated. He obviously thinks it's worth it.

Vince hasn't had much of a solo career, so it's no great loss to give it up for the so-called Eagles if he doesn't mind playing second fiddle... And it appears he doesn't.
    Maybe Gill and Frey are just having a ball touring/playing/singing as part of the Eagles. Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I also did not care for Walsh's comment -- it WAS crass and insensitive. But it confirms the sad reality that Glenn Frey has been replaced which from the very beginning is something the band appeared unable and/or unwilling to own up to.
    Now all they need to do to sell the whole shebang is to "get the widow on the set!"

Stay Tuned!
    🎼🎶🎵

Stuck on the Border

I'm reminded of Glenn's explanations of going solo in the 80s. It was along the lines of needing to be in a group in your twenties but when you're in your thirties, it's time to set off on your own. He compared it to joining an established (legal?) practice until you're ready to set up your own practice.

If nothing else, Deacon will have learned that a musical career can last a life time. He will also have known many people who have had long careers in the business without ever becoming a star. Does anyone despise Steuart Smith, Scott Crago, Michael Thompson or any of the other musicians who play with the Eagles?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    People forget that he was not even a professional musician before all this.

You can't expect him to be able to write songs just because he's Glenn Frey's son.
    Exactly. I mean other than the times his dad ever brought him onstage, was he ever heavily into music to begin with? Especially "classic" music. He might have just learned to play and had other interests that he cared about more.

I don't think Deacon is the songwriting type, but we'll see. I'd much rather see him doing his own thing with a new group or solo than be a caricature of his dad. Or if there is an interest outside of music, go pursue that. Be your own person.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    Maybe Gill and Frey are just having a ball touring/playing/singing as part of the Eagles. Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.
    Oh I'm sure they love it, no doubt.

That doesn't mean that others don't have a problem with it.

There's just something about Vince Gill's excitement for this that rubs me wrong, coming from a "friend" of Glenn's. As Soda said, I think his solo career wasn't as big as some might imagine and I think he would be more than willing to give it up to go be a pretend Eagle and ride on those coattails. Me, I think he's a good musician but I think his music is overrated and I think he wasn't as successful as others of his era. So I think he will latch on to anything to build himself up.

Deacon, I just really hope he will do his own thing. Music or otherwise. But standing in the shadows of your dad is not exactly healthy IMO. It looks bad.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Banned

"It looks bad." To whom, exactly? Amazing that the critics are now turning on Deacon in the name of protecting your feelings toward Glenn. How warm and fuzzy, folks. I'm sure Glenn would be thrilled at the idea of throwing his son under the bus in his name. Keep it up. It looks GREAT.

Stuck on the Border

I think it's totally possible that "behind the scenes" Deacon is indeed doing something on his own. Just not on a grand scale.