Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Well said BB and A ... for me there was never any question the guys should have taken their last bow at the Grammy tribute.

Ditto - me too. And, well said Austin and BB.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

... for me there was never any question the guys should have taken their last bow at the Grammy tribute.
    Amen to everyone here! For me, this quote from Dawn is the bottom line, too. As I've said before - in the words of Kenny Rogers ... "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Maybe retirement brings their own mortality closer to mind than they'd like.
    You know, if we can still do this, we're not that old.
    Theres nothing to stop them either individually or in pairs/groups continuing with their performances. I mean I saw Don Henley 3 times on his European tour, and Joe in New Jersey last year and both sounded fine. But taking on the stress and responsibility of holding up the band when they really don't need to is completely different - again I feel as a band they should have retired gracefully as a unit after the Grammy performance. I don't think they have done any favours by continuing
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I need to address a couple of points raised in this review. It was posted in the review thread, but I am not going to hijack that.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/...n-12997027.php

Bands continuing on in some form after a key member has passed (Adam Lambert with Queen, John Mayer in Dead and Company, Axl Rose fronting AC/DC) will likely become the norm as time marches on and classic rock's biggest names make their permanent exits. A band's catalog, if sturdy enough, can transcend even the very people who recorded it.

I disagree with this so strongly that it's hard to find enough words. What this is saying & what the defenders have been saying all along, is that the members of a band don't matter; only the songs matter.

I went to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band with an orchestra in January, and then I saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening last month. I enjoyed both shows. But at NO TIME did I ever think that the songs themselves were enough to 'transcend' the show & make it Led Zeppelin. I was seeing a cover band. I was not seeing the real thing. That is what people are seeing when they see the 'Eagles'. As I have said all along, if all that matters is the songs, then see a tribute band for a third of the price.

Of course, reviews like this are disrespectful to Glenn Frey because they basically say he wasn't important. He didn't matter. Someone else is singing his songs so that's OK, isn't it. The viewpoint is insulting because it basically says that anybody can sing or play these songs - vocal quality & musicianship isn't important. Just play the notes in the right order & sing in tune, and the fans won't care.

I may have repeated this sentiment a few times now, but the coldness of the above & its willingness to just take this as read, raised my hackles just as I'm tryijng to leave it all behind.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.

If what this guy says were true, any cover band with good enough singers and players doing Eagles hits is just as good as seeing the real Eagles because they're playing the same "transcendent" songs.

I think we all know that's BS.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Personally, I believe when it gets right down to it Accept No Substitutes Don Henley has a lot to answer for.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    If what this guy says were true, any cover band with good enough singers and players doing Eagles hits is just as good as seeing the real Eagles because they're playing the same "transcendent" songs.

I think we all know that's BS.
    Exactly. Personally, I'd rather see a tribute band now. But it's total BS.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Personally, I believe when it gets right down to it Accept No Substitutes Don Henley has a lot to answer for.
    A LOT to answer for is right. Very disappointed in Don.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Plus this isn't only about "songs surviving". Like has been pointed out, a cover band will do if the songs are enough. It's also about using the name. Any group of people can play them, because it's "all about the songs", but could just any group of people be called 'Eagles'?

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Plus this isn't only about "songs surviving". Like has been pointed out, a cover band will do if the songs are enough. It's also about using the name. Any group of people can play them, because it's "all about the songs", but could just any group of people be called 'Eagles'?
    Exactly - the name "Eagles" shouldn't be stuck on any group of men that Henley and Azoff judge to be marketable under the moniker. It should have real meaning.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten