Page 108 of 145 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

In 10 years time Deacon might be able to sit back on his millions and reminisce about his time following in his fathers footsteps, and yes he will be free from many of the financial pressures that other young people have to face, but IMO he is sacrificing his own identity and career path to do so - to be a filler in for Dad and to please the masses who missed the Eagles first and second time around. Its not like a young lad taking over a business from a parent who has retired where he could grow with that business for life, build on it, expand it, break new frontiers. Once this current line up breaks down which with its 3 main members over 70 it inevitably will, where will Deacon go? I'd say Vince likes the opportunity to play with a big group, and is augmenting his pension nicely while he does so. But he'll have no regrets when it ends.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

"Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ‘A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Don Henley. June 2017

Pffftttt.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

The irony is that the foolish consistency in context was foolishly conforming to societal expectations consistently even when they were damaging and wrong, instead of being true to one's individual conscience. One must read the text in its entirety.

Sounds a lot like what they're doing now. Don knew it was wrong to do this but instead of following his conscience, he followed the expectation of society and his own desire for money.

For all his literary pedigree and much-touted appreciation of the transcendentalists, Henley completely missed Emerson's complex point, and instead trotted out the pop culture out-of-context "enotes" oversimplification of the quote.

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case textually aware enough, to know it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well I certainly could understand the "healing" aspect in the beginning. A few shows I get, but how many tours and millions (dollars) does it take to heal? I don't mean this in a mean way since the death of one's father is a terrible thing. I just find it hard to believe that it's still about the healing process for Deacon.
    I may be way off the mark here, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to Deacon, but maybe for him, this is a way to avoid what is a very harsh and tragic reality, the loss of his father. By playing with his father's band, singing his father's songs, with the long hair and sunglasses like his father had in the 70s (and doesn't he have a mustache now too), he can pretend to be his father, in a sense, step into his father's shoes, and live his father's life. Then he can avoid fully processing this for a while longer. Then one day when they stop doing this, as they inevitably have to, given the age of the rest, the reality of this will hit him like a ton of bricks.

Like I said, I could be way off, and I really don't mean any disrespect to him. I can't imagine how hard this must be for him and the other kids.

On a side note, I read somewhere that Jackson Browne is still dedicating Take It Easy to Glenn in shows. I haven't read a review of their concerts in quite a while, but they're not dedicating songs to Glenn anymore, are they?
    Last edited by groupie2686; 06-27-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    On a side note, I read somewhere that Jackson Browne is still dedicating Take It Easy to Glenn in shows. I haven't read a review of their concerts in quite a while, but they're not dedicating songs to Glenn anymore, are they?
    Glenn who?

Sorry, probably too sarcastic...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The irony is that the foolish consistency in context was foolishly conforming to societal expectations consistently even when they were damaging and wrong, instead of being true to one's individual conscience. One must read the text in its entirety.

Sounds a lot like what they're doing now. Don knew it was wrong to do this but instead of following his conscience, he followed the expectation of society and his own desire for money.

For all his literary pedigree and much-touted appreciation of the transcendentalists, Henley completely missed Emerson's complex point, and instead trotted out the pop culture out-of-context "enotes" oversimplification of the quote.

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case literate enough, to know it.
    Sorry for digressing a bit, but is it embarassing if I didn't understand what you said? I really could not wrap my head around the quote (sorry Dawn), nor your post. I apologize.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I may be way off the mark here, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to Deacon, but maybe for him, this is a way to avoid what is a very harsh and tragic reality, the loss of his father. By playing with his father's band, singing his father's songs, with the long hair and sunglasses like his father had in the 70s (and doesn't he have a mustache now too), he can pretend to be his father, in a sense, step into his father's shoes, and live his father's life. Then he doesn't have to avoid fully processing this for a while longer. Then one day when they stop doing this, as they inevitably have to, given the age of the rest, the reality of this will hit him like a ton of bricks.

Like I said, I could be way off, and I really don't mean any disrespect to him. I can't imagine how hard this must be for him and the other kids.

That is probable. But what I really wonder is about how Cindy feels about all this touring?
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case literate enough, to know it.
    Thank you.

Touring is a grind but it pays extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Sorry for digressing a bit, but is it embarassing if I didn't understand what you said? I really could not wrap my head around the quote (sorry Dawn), nor your post. I apologize.
    People freely use "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" to mean the following: "The opinion I used to hold was foolish. Therefore, if I were to be consistent in keeping to that opinion, it would be silly. It would mean I had a little mind. Thus, you can't blame me for being inconsistent in my opinion. In fact, you should applaud me for changing my opinion to something that isn't foolish! It shows I have a GREAT mind, just like the great Ralph Waldo Emerson!"

This is used by politicians to break campaign promises all the time. "I know I said that I would vote to give funds to help the poor, but my new opinion is that the money would be better used to finance the war effort, and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

In fact, it can be used by ANYONE to justify breaking their word.

"Yes, I told you that I'd let your mother come live with us when she got sick, but my new opinion is that the arrangement's just not going to work out... no, you can't hold me to my promise, dear, because as Emerson says, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

Don Henley used it this way: "Yes, I said that to continue the Eagles without Glenn would be greedy and desperate. However, my new opinion is that it's a great idea to continue the Eagles without Glenn - and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

It's disgusting how poor Emerson is abused by people when they want to go back on their word.

However, if you read "Self-Reliance" in its entirety, you see that he never meant it to be taken that way. Who's going to do that, though? Almost no one. If one is curious enough to Google it, one will only find simplistic E-notes type study sites made for students which parrot the basic interp. Who goes and reads the whole thing?

Apparently, not even Don Henley.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten