Page 115 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Out on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Don and Glenn always held the position that it was all about "song power" as the qualifier to sing on and earn a spot for a song(s) on an Eagles record. Remember the comment "it has to meet band standards" by Don. This facisimile of the Eagles seems counter to those very "standards" set forth and enforced by Don and Glenn. Their obsession to perfection delivered with passion and mutual respect, only elevated their mystique and enhanced the magical formula that millions of fans worldwide gravitated to.

As only Don could say, of Glenn, "he did what he set out to do, and then some". This doesn't feel like something that Glenn, who was known for" not taking shit from anybody", would embrace.

I completely respect Glenn's family for their opinion, they're absolutely entitled to it. Their loss is their's to bear, completely, without question.

This newest invention of the band is merely for monetary gain. The members are entitled to it, its what they do. Pretend to be the Eagles once again.

Paraphrasing Jackson Browne, who so eloquently sings. "Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender...He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there..Out into the cool of the evening strolls the Pretender"

#NotMYEagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I think several people here (in this thread) have said before that even if Cindy fully supports this, it isn't the Eagles. I agree. So arguing about that is pointless in this thread. But the link to the interview was posted, because somebody wondered how Cindy feels about it, and that's fine.

Stuck on the Border

In this interview Vince says that the OTHER guys have tried to get him to sing his solo stuff and that he's hesitant to do it. Maybe we shouldn't blame him for that.

So asking him to join was a smart move from the Eagles as it might take them "back to an honest place". I wasn't even aware that the Eagles was supposed to be pure country. But good to know that with him the Eagles music sounds more honest than with Glenn. He probably didn't mean that it was less honest when Glenn was alive, but that's how the words sound.

https://www.google.fi/amp/s/www.stlt...3857b.amp.html

I've tried to find the interview where he said he sent a message to the Eagles. Haven't found it, but I found one where he only refers to his "interest".
    Last edited by chaim; 07-07-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Two things I take from that interview.

1) Maybe it wasn't him pushing to do solo songs. Still, it's a bad idea.

2) Man, does he come across as a raging airhead or what?!

"A more honest place". That just makes me sick. Really Vince? Glenn wanted the Eagles to MOVE ON from soft country music, he never would have wanted to go back to a "more honest" place of country music. He was a rocker from day one, not a country musician. Sure, they started out doing soft country/country rock but I think the guys did that to start because that's who they were hanging around. They wanted to be the Stones, not the Byrds anymore. He and the guys were sick of that by the time of, oh say, One Of These Nights. Hence why Joe joined and Bernie left right after that album was made. Vince is so stuck on his traditional country music that he thinks for the Eagles to be great they need to do classic country music again. I HATE country music, classic/traditional country that is. That soft country crooner stuff is nauseating to me. If the Eagles had continued on with the Desperado-era outlaw country stylings, I never would have been a fan of this band. Thank god for Hotel California and The Long Run! I like On The Border and One Of These Nights too, for the more rockier or RNB stuff with Felder instead of Bernie.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I still love the countryish side of the Eagles, but I think it's more interesting when it's their interpretation of the genre, not 100% pure or "honest" country. Part of the appeal of Lyin' Eyes for me is that it wasn't sung by a "honest" country singer. It was Glenn Frey with his unique voice doing a countryish song.

Glenn's slide playing at the end of Midnight Flyer probably wasn't totally "honest" in that genre, but that's what makes it different.

Well apparently I'm off to a wonderful start here. Been lurking and getting my Eagles news here now for several years. I didn't know that there was a specific purpose behind this thread. Didn't intend to crash the party...

Someone a few pages back asked if anyone knew what Cindy thought about it and I recalled the interview and posted it. I shared how that interview changed my thoughts on the matter. I passed seeing them this tour (and I honestly think the chances of seeing them are fading more by the day) but she used the word healing several times. That hit me.

I'm a musician who was taught by my dad and after he passed years ago every time I pick up the guitar I think of him. With my other favorite band Zeppelin, I can really relate to Jason wanting to carry on his fathers legacy. So to me if this is healing for Deacon (and family) then I'm absolutely thrilled for him. I can understand what its like to lose a dad who had that influence on you. Toughest thing I ever went through and can only imagine what it was like for the family with someone as amazing and influential as Glenn was not just to them but to me and countless others.

Didn't mean to offend anyone and I'll kindly exit this thread. Really enjoy the board (soda do you run it?) and I look forward to finally participating....if you'll have me.

Stuck on the Border

IMO there was nothing wrong with you posting that link as a response. What you wrote after that is something we've been through countless times in this thread. Over and over again someone has said the same things to us. I think people have now accepted that this one thread is a place where we can rave and rant in peace, so to speak, without having to justify ourselves over and over again. If you accept this and act accordingly there should be no hard feelings. You are new here and didn't know. Welcome, by the way!

Regarding Gill. Isn't it obvious?

Two words.

Don Henley.

Cass County.

Glenn Frey has no place in the band anymore. This is not the Eagles.

It is the Don Henley show.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Glenn Frey has no place in the band anymore. This is not the Eagles.

It is the Don Henley show.
    Exactly.

Isn't it also obvious what this is all really about?

This is a mega tour of 50 plus concerts launched after Azoff's version of Desert Trip 2016 called Classic East/West tested the waters with the addition of Deacon Frey and Vince Gill to compensate for the loss of Glenn Frey.

The Eagles is a brand.

Touring is a business.

There is no new material.

It's the same songs they have been doing for years with some Vince Gill stuff thrown in the mix.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016