Page 119 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Vince's level of talent is certainly subjective IMO. Sure, he's had some success but I would never put it on the same level as ANY of the Eagles from 1972-2016.

Let me say this:

I would never want ANYONE to replace Glenn, but if Glenn were alive and they wanted to add somebody, as an example - Vince would never have crossed my mind as a good choice for another guy in the band at any point in those years.

He's just not Eagle material, let alone fit to try to stand in Glenn's shoes. I wouldn't want him in the band as a backup guitarist, let alone as a singer and a so-called replacement for Glenn Frey. He's just not up to that caliber IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Not even Deacon.

And I say that because it seemed the Eagles were over and done (Henley's words) until Deacon was "discovered."
    Especially Deacon.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

In some ways I feel bad for Deacon...I would never want to have to be constantly compared constantly to my celebrity well-loved father, and not always in a good light. I also wouldn't want to be stuck trying to "be" him and watch my youth and freedom slip away as I try to be someone I'm not to please dad's old friends.

But, he took this gig on as an adult human being. And with that, comes everything good and bad and ugly. And therefore he has to accept all of that. He also has the right to say enough's enough, let me go be my own person with my own tastes and desires and wishes in life. Or at least I'd like to think he has that much confidence or strength to do so. So maybe he likes it. Who knows.

But what little I've heard of him, american classic rock is not his first choice in music. And as I've said many times, he should work the "circuit' like his dad did and become known and reap the benefits the old fashioned way by working towards it and not having an "in" or an easy way out. And while his own music may not be my cup of tea, I'd support it fully. I might even buy it to show said support. And who knows - maybe he wants to do something else in the arts like acting, visual artist, who knows. Or maybe he wants to be an average joe. I'm not Deacon, but I think I'd have some serious regrets when it's all said and done. Sure, maybe some happy memories playing with what were family friends, but I'd feel like I've p!ssed away a lot of years doing something that maybe wasn't my cup of tea in the first place, and getting older and now stuck with it or not having enough time to explore the word and possibilties and dreams. That's sad to me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Personally, I am troubled by the promotion of Deacon as a Glenn Frey look and sound alike.

One example why Glenn Frey is and always will be irreplaceable. Doesn't matter what instrument he is playing or what song he is singing -- he was in a league all his own.

https://vimeo.com/209270425

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    One example why Glenn Frey is and always will be irreplaceable. Doesn't matter what instrument he is playing or what song he is singing -- he was in a league all his own.

https://vimeo.com/209270425

Oh, I love that video!

To me, besides his personal talent and dynamism, what's irreplaceable is his fundamental contribution to the Eagles sound and direction. Remove that and you have a different band. You have a band whose sound and direction is controlled entirely by someone else, will be shaped into something else - and thus it should be called something else.

Why steal the brand that he and Glenn created together and put it on a different band, complete with new members? Oh, that's right, to sell tickets.

You'd get just as much healing from touring under another name, still make the songs "live" (gag) by touring under another name, still honor Glenn's memory by touring under another name (truly honor it)... but you wouldn't make as much money.

So we see what's really important... and it has nothing to do with sentiment.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So we see what's really important... and it has nothing to do with sentiment.
    I have come to believe that Mr. Henley's loyalty, philanthropy, and ultimate concern all start with this one question: What's in it for me?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Agree, agree, agree!

A show or two with the Eagles for Deacon and that would have been alright. But when they continued and added Vince and set up a major tour? Nada, nope, not right. And having him dress and try to look like young Glenn? Kinda cute for a show or two, but after than? No way! Be yourself Deacon!

I don't think Vince fits either.

What kind of music does Deacon like anyway?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Personally, I am troubled by the promotion of Deacon as a Glenn Frey look and sound alike.

It's a genius move for them, though. I know many people who have justified going to see the faux Eagles because Deacon is there - that makes it OK because he is some kind of emotional avatar for Glenn to them. Others are hesitant to criticize the faux Eagles because Deacon is there. It also became the central narrative for their promotions; any potentially awkward questions about continuing without Glenn are redirected to the "nobility" of carrying on with Deacon.

Even now we see how people, again and again, point at Deacon to justify the removal of Glenn, going so far as to characterize those who criticize the band's decision as unfeeling solely because of his involvement! His involvement, to them, renders the continuation of the "Eagles" untouchable. No criticism allowed.

The faux Eagles must be thanking their lucky stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    No idea. He was not a professional musician before this, and I seriously doubt he had any intention of becoming one. He played as a hobby. So they took advantage of his natural talent, gave him a lot of lessons, pushed him in front of an arena at the Classics, then took him on tour.

Look, I'm sure he's doing a great job out there. He does have talent. I'm sure people like him and are even impressed by him. He seems pretty cool. But he's not Glenn and this is not the Eagles. That's all I'm trying to say.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Agree, agree, agree!
    I agree too ! He likes Hip-Hop and that kind of music from what he has posted prior to all this.
    Deacon studied Music Production and Engineering at a school in LA. I remember reading it on his FB page. I don't know if he graduated. Just MHO but, I think Deacon dressed the way he wanted to at those Classic Concerts. I do believe it was healing for him and maybe made him feel closer to Glenn. Don't forget, he had only just turned 23 the month after the announcement came they would do the Classic Concerts. It appears Deacon is not dressing like that anymore from pictures I have seen posted on FB. If Deacon and Cindy said "No", they would not be touring now. Don and Irving must be giving thanks everyday that Deacon is a talented kid. This whole thing was done by Don and Irving to tug at people's emotions and legitimize their getting back together.