Page 126 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    I have not gone to see Don, Joe, Timothy and the band. I guess I must be very rigid as well because I also have never been to see a "tribute" band. I have a whole other set of issues with them. Everyone has their opinions and choices. It make life more interesting.😎
    I've been meaning to respond to you about your comment regarding tribute bands, WKM, but kept forgetting. Anyway, I know that some folks don't like them and I understand that. Heck, I have even been accused of being disrespectful for suggesting them as an alternative to seeing this current lineup of the band. But, I am one who enjoys some tribute bands. Not all of them are good, but there are some out there with very talented, high-quality musicians and singers that do a very respectable job of paying tribute to the artists and bands they represent. I have very much enjoyed seeing some of the Eagles tribute bands and believe I got some really good entertainment at a very reasonable costs. It may not be your thing, but, to me, I would rather spend $30-$40 to hear Eagles songs played live by a great tribute band than $300-$400 to hear a band that pretends to be authentic. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I've never contributed to this thread but those of you who have seen my posts elsewhere will know my opinion on the current set-up. I'm ot really sure where this posts belongs so I will write it here.

The general sale tickets for their UK tour next summer went live this morning and it was such a strange feeling for me. I saw the Eagles for the first time twice on the History tour, which was the last time they played the UK, in June 2014 and I was absolutely made up from the second I clicked to confirm the booking until I strolled into the O2 Arena however many months later. I spent god only knows what on travel, accommodation and merchandise just so I could see them and get as much as I could.

I would never have believed that the next time they rocked up here I would treat it with a mixture of indifference and contempt. Like everyone else I was so shocked and saddened by Glenn's sudden passing but I took solace from the fact that I had seen them whilst I could, on a superb tour that removed a lot of the folly I hated from the Reunion era (Mighty Horns etc.), had a blinding setlist, and from nowhere unearthed Bernie back to the big time.

I said as much at the time, but I might have accepted the new order had it been someone like Deacon with Jackson Browne, JDS or Bernie providing where Glenn was now absent. I was disappointed by what did transpire though, and without wishing to be hyperbolic I don't think I will forgive the remaining members for how they have treated the passing of Glenn with regard to the band.

It intensified though when they announced that they were heading to these shores a couple of weeks ago - whilst they were playing cities in America (some of which I haven't even heard of!) and all the associated promotion and exposure is over there, it was easy to ignore or forget. But them coming back here has made it so strange for me, a band I used to worship playing not 10 miles from where I live and I couldn't care less. My job means that it isn't impossible I will end up 'working' owing to one of the shows they have lined up (I work for a transport company and am kept pretty much in a job by serving these events, whoever is playing). The fact I could be around the actual arena and hear them play is just too weird at the moment!

Stuck on the Border

TLR, that's just how I feel. I keep getting emails about the tickets going on sale because I registered with both Ticketmaster and the arena and it just seems strange. I could almost ignore it while it was in the US and pretend it wasn't happening. How can it be Business as Usual?

Agreed TLR and UTW.

It's very, very upsetting how they just gloss over it like it's nothing. And yes, that upset extends to Deacon and Cindy for going along with it.

I'm going to go ahead and state something that is very subjective and is left to opinion but none the less the way I feel:

Glenn Frey was the most important member of the band.

Would I go see the Eagles if Don were gone but Glenn was there, no probably not, but to me even still - Glenn was the Eagles's founding father. He was to the Eagles as Steve Jobs was to Apple. Not only the founding father but the visionary. As great as Don Henley may be, he to me still cannot overcome Glenn's contributions and willpower and determination. To me Glenn had it all. Talent, songwriting and composition, and a GREAT business sense. Did I agree with everything he chose to do, no. But the difference is I respect him for it. Looking back in hindsight he was right to fire Felder. Felder, as much as I love him as a guitarist, was sour grapes. The band probably would have folded if not for making that decision. And frankly my thoughts of Felder as a human being aren't what they were, and I'll leave that at that. But Glenn always did right by the Eagles. And Don knew it was Glenn's band. When Glenn said no to getting together in the studio - that was it. There was no going on without him then, and they damn sure shouldn't be going on without him now. I have no problem saying how I feel and saying that I don't agree with Deacon Frey and the guys continuing. Contrary to some people's beliefs, that doesn't make me less of a fan.

To me he was the Eagles heart, soul, brains, and brawn. I realize some DH fans or fans of other members may disagree or even take offense, but it is what it is. It's something I had to get off my chest. Something I thought of while the board was down that I wanted to mention in this thread when it was restored. I'm sure most picked up on the idea that this was my belief based on my postings about 3.0 in various threads but it had to be said. To me it's just something that is very much a part of how I view this whole thing. For me no other Eagle, yes even Joe (my hero), comes near Glenn in being the total musician package. It took me a long time to realize why Glenn made certain decisions and why it wasn't fairly split amongst them all. The more I realized this, the more respect I gained for Glenn. Sadly, it all came after his passing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

"If the Eagles were to get back together, it would have to be for the right reasons. I think it would look awful if it were just for the money."
    ~ Glenn Frey

Border Desperado

WalshFan88---I too had thought about Glenn Frey being essential to the Eagles and Steve Jobs being essential to Apple. Then I wondered if that meant that Apple should have ceased to exist after the death of Jobs. They brought someone in to replace him too. It's all very troubling to me if I allow myself to think about it too much.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TLR - Thanks a lot for sharing with us. This is exactly the right thread to post your thoughts in and I daresay all of us who post here understand exactly where you are coming from.

And same to you, Austin. I didn't see your post as being disrespectful and I don't mean to diminish any of the other band members talents because they all have loads of it for sure. However, I do believe Glenn was always the driving force and visionary behind the band from the very start. As Don himself said, he was 'the man with the plan'. I believe the significance of his role in the band is often underappreciated and misunderstood by a lot of fans because so many of his contributions happened behind the scenes. It kind of fits his persona as being a 'quiet giver'. By his own admission, he may have not always handled things as best as he could have in the early years, but, there is no doubt that he selflessly always put the Eagles' interest above all else, including himself.

His talents were the most multi-faceted and well-rounded of all the members, IMO. There is no way this can be the same band without him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    TLR - Thanks a lot for sharing with us. This is exactly the right thread to post your thoughts in and I daresay all of us who post here understand exactly where you are coming from.

And same to you, Austin. I didn't see your post as being disrespectful and I don't mean to diminish any of the other band members talents because they all have loads of it for sure. However, I do believe Glenn was always the driving force and visionary behind the band from the very start. As Don himself said, he was 'the man with the plan'. I believe the significance of his role in the band is often underappreciated and misunderstood by a lot of fans because so many of his contributions happened behind the scenes. It kind of fits his persona as being a 'quiet giver'. By his own admission, he may have not always handled things as best as he could have in the early years, but, there is no doubt that he selflessly always put the Eagles' interest above all else, including himself.

His talents were the most multi-faceted and well-rounded of all the members, IMO. There is no way this can be the same band without him.
    Dreamer - I could not have said it better myself. Wholeheartedly agree with every word you said. I have always felt Glenn was probably the most talented due to the numerous instrument he could play and his classical music training. As you said, he was greatly underappreciated and misunderstood. No one can replace Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yes, and these men can do what they want. Henley is being richly rewarded for his change of heart.

I would just shrug it off and say "whatever" if it weren't for the fact that they're diluting what it means to be an "Eagle" with these new members, changing not only the band's sound but also its artistic vision, and diminishing Glenn as nothing more than an expendable, replaceable ex-member in the process.

I say something because as a fan, I care about that.

It's not about whether or not going to concerts is fun, or whether or not they enlist "blood," or whether or not other people think it's ok.

It's about the fact that I, as a fan, hate to see the band I loved degraded, Glenn's vision devalued, in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I know I've said this before, but the announcement of the European tour just reopens the wounds and brings all the emotions up again, and so here I am. I cannot wait for this tour to be over.
    Me either - but will it ever be over?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here.

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post:
    “I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
    Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.
    Just an FYI ...

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016