Page 128 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    BTW EF86 - I am sorry for you that you never had a chance to see the Eagles. Although it's definitely not the same as seeing them live, at least we still have CDs and DVDs. Thanks goodness for that!
    ive always been a dreamer Thank you! Yes I'm thankful that we still have CDs & DVDs and memories I have of seeing them on tv as well.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'll probably respond to this article in more detail tomorrow but let me say one thing clearly:

Don Henley infuriates me!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...enn-frey-band/

Just a heads up, it's not going to be taken well by those of us who don't like this new band. His comments are really irritating me right now. He's a great artist, writer, and singer, but as a person I find I like him less and less. I'm probably alone in that but he really just grinds my gears. And not just concerning 3.0 but a lot of his comments, statements, and attitudes over the years. I wouldn't want to meet the guy.
    I have to admit, I find it upsetting to read articles where they discuss the "new band", and so I avoid them. However, I wanted to see what people were talking about, and read this one. Count me among those who are unimpressed with:

"Now, with two new band members, the Eagles have found another burst of energy. “They say in life there’s no second act but we got that when we came back in 1994 and now we’re on our third act."

As if this "two patches over the Glenn-sized hole" lineup that's allowing them to stay on the shelf a few years past their genuine "sell-by" date was some monumental new era of the band, just as important as the other two!

The author of the article adds:

"it was clear their die-hard fans were overjoyed to have them back."

Not all of us, buddy.

The author follows that statement with:

"Women, now mothers and grandmothers, got up from their seats and danced to Witchy Woman and Lyin’ Eyes, remembering that once they were city girls who could open doors with just a smile. Couples, familiar with each other after years of marriage, held hands and sang along to One Of These Nights, remembering their heady first days of romance."

Waxing poetic there. Is this an interview or a glorified ad? [PS the author apparently forgot that the city girl of "Lyin' Eyes" sold herself into a miserable marriage - hopefully those mothers and grandmothers were NOT like her.]

“We’re not doing it for the money,” laughs Henley.

Yeah, I'm laughing at that statement, too!

Nor are there plans for a new album.

I'd say I'm glad if it weren't for the fact that Henley also once said there were no plans for a "new" Eagles tour, and he was saying this even after the Classics were scheduled.... remember that? In other words, he knew full well there was a tour brewing. He was just full of crap. So we'll see.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Let me just say thank GOD if there is no album planned. Please bring this madness to an end. Somehow though, I think DH will change his mind, just like he did about the band being done. Or as Soda says - lie now knowing there is something in the works. The man can't be trusted or taken seriously anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There won't be a second time either. I don't buy it.

Don Henley's arrogance has gone a step too far. And I'm not very impressed with Tim and Joe either. At best, they are accomplices and complicit with this. At worst, well, you know...

The whole third act bit was rich. No, you are dancing on the grave of the man who worked hard to make the Eagles what they are. And the man who was by his side supposedly helping him is one of the dancers.

As far as the whole overjoyed fans bit, clearly he can't be that daft. There are plenty of us who have called this what it is from day one. A shameless yet shameful money grab while tarnishing the end of the band's legacy. It saddens me that the guys who are supposed to protect it are the ones ruining it. Shame on you Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit, Vince Gill, and the others for doing this. It freaking sucks to have lost all respect for musicians you once admired. It sucks to have to associate the Eagles, my favorite band, with such a crappy thing. I still respect their talent that got them here but I don't think they have much moral fiber nor do I think they are able to have much self control when Irv Azoff is waving money in their faces. Don and Co have a lot to learn when it comes to doing the right thing. It's pretty sad actually. They're grown men.

The "not doing it for the money" part. Of course you are laughing Don when you said that. Because behind that BS chuckle you KNOW why you are doing this. And you know it was a fib, hence the laugh.

And lastly, as far as the "sit at home and rot and watch Gunsmoke reruns" bit. Grow up Don. No one is saying you had to do that. You can play solo or with the guys, but don't call it the Eagles or associate it with the band Glenn Lewis Frey worked so hard with you to create. No one is asking you to wither away and not play anymore. My hunch is that his pain isn't as bad as he says it is, and that the money makes it doable and that it ain't for his love of doing it. No matter how much I love something, I wouldn't want to spend my last years in pain and being miserable touring. I certainly wish Glenn had stopped touring before his RA got so bad that he needed the level of drugs he did to cope. It may have not changed the outcome but at least I'd feel better about him not suffering as much. I also think Don knows full well that quite a few people are unhappy. Heck, he may have even read some of the posts on the Border. But the man, while being pretty low, isn't a dummy. He is trying to justify his decision to those of us here. And I ain't buyin' it!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have nothing to add to what you all have already said. I'm just sad that they think it's alright to go on. And I really think Irving is to blame for talking them in to it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I agree mostly what people have written here, the fact I am not a hug fan of the HC and Long Run albums and a huge fan of the early to mid 70s albums means there is now only Henley who represents the lineup of the Eagles I love. The fact that Bernie wasnt even kept on means the decision is easy for me, I'm not giving Henley my money to see what will be closer to a tribute act. It's really sad that Randy cant Play and we've lost Glenn but Bernie should be still in Henley's good books after the HOTE tour so why not have atleast one of the other original founding members on stage with you; I guess they really weren't that close. as some have said it just means for me unless they make a record the band practically ended with Frey's death which is fine by me, I doubt an album would feel like the Eagles at this stage either though I would still be interested. Unfortunately they have such high standards it means they just end up repackaging past releases then producing anything new, it took them a couple years to get together and record backing vocals for Joe's cover of Part of the Plan for the Fogelberg tribute album

Sorry for the rambling, been a while since I talked about the Eagles, by the way...Happy New Year from London UK!
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I have nothing to add to what you all have already said. I'm just sad that they think it's alright to go on. And I really think Irving is to blame for talking them in to it.
    Irving definitely pressured them, but IMO Don and the rest gave in all too quickly (and probably willing). Irving is definitely strong.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    I agree mostly what people have written here, the fact I am not a hug fan of the HC and Long Run albums and a huge fan of the early to mid 70s albums means there is now only Henley who represents the lineup of the Eagles I love. The fact that Bernie wasnt even kept on means the decision is easy for me, I'm not giving Henley my money to see what will be closer to a tribute act. It's really sad that Randy cant Play and we've lost Glenn but Bernie should be still in Henley's good books after the HOTE tour so why not have atleast one of the other original founding members on stage with you; I guess they really weren't that close. as some have said it just means for me unless they make a record the band practically ended with Frey's death which is fine by me, I doubt an album would feel like the Eagles at this stage either though I would still be interested. Unfortunately they have such high standards it means they just end up repackaging past releases then producing anything new, it took them a couple years to get together and record backing vocals for Joe's cover of Part of the Plan for the Fogelberg tribute album

Sorry for the rambling, been a while since I talked about the Eagles, by the way...Happy New Year from London UK!
    I don't know why they didn't have Bernie.

My guess is that maybe they DID ask Bernie but he had enough strength and moral fiber to say what we are saying - No Glenn No Eagles. They as a group or individually aren't Eagles without Glenn.

Or maybe they thought that their buddy Vince could do it all. I'd honestly rather hear Bernie play than Vince, and I'm not as much of a Bernie fan. But I really, really don't like Vince Gill.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Well, I would like to say I could not have said it better then everyone has these last couple of days. I have to say I have no respect for Don and he has proven that his word is worth nothing. I have also lost a lot of respect for Tim and Joe. And, to say they are not doing this for the money is a sad joke. They must believe people actually believe them. We see through it and call it what it is - an insult to the legacy of the the group and the man who founded the group. They are nothing but a sad shadow of the Eagles and no different than any other tribute band. And, while Irving probably came up with the whole mess, Don, Joe and Tim could have said "no". I have to say for a guy who was "estranged"(his words Nov.2016 WP article) from Glenn for many years, he sure has taken advantage of him since his death.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, I would like to say I could not have said it better then everyone has these last couple of days. I have to say I have no respect for Don and he has proven that his word is worth nothing. I have also lost a lot of respect for Tim and Joe. And, to say they are not doing this for the money is a sad joke. They must believe people actually believe them. We see through it and call it what it is - an insult to the legacy of the the group and the man who founded the group. They are nothing but a sad shadow of the Eagles and no different than any other tribute band. And, while Irving probably came up with the whole mess, Don, Joe and Tim could have said "no". I have to say for a guy who was "estranged"(his words Nov.2016 WP article) from Glenn for many years, he sure has taken advantage of him since his death.
    When all this started, it was because of the Classics concerts. Before then, Don had said no Eagles without Glenn.

But when Irving needed an act to headline his Classics, Don chalked his statement up to shock, from which he had managed to emerge just in time to say yes.

At that time, Don seemed reluctant to take ownership of the decision. Even after it had been made, he would say it was "Irving's baby" and went so far as to answer "That's what they tell me" when asked if the Eagles were headlining at one point.

When all this was first happening, I was eager to blame Irving, eager to believe Don didn't really want to continue without Glenn. I had a lot of respect for Don. I read into these statements that Don's heart wasn't really in it, that he was being manipulated.

However, once it was clear that the crowd was accepting of the new band, we saw a shift in his tone. He began saying how he had gone about putting together the band in a "highly ethical manner" and that he actually believed Glenn would approve! The reason? I think it was because he no longer needed a fall guy.

I now think it was fear of rejection and low ticket sales that made him want to hang up the Eagles, and not the idea that Glenn too important for the band to continue without him. Of course he grieved for Glenn, but obviously he never really considered Glenn irreplaceable. I think he "emerged from shock" when Irving convinced him the band was still marketable.

Thus, I don't blame Irving. Yes, it's true if it weren't for him, the Eagles would probably have ended with Glenn's death. But he is not forcing anyone to do anything. Quite the contrary. I believe he simply gave Don a safe way to pursue what he really wanted.

If the shows were received poorly, Don could blame Irving for any ill will from fans, and call the Classics a special one-off to avoid the embarrassment of a failed tour. Other acts on the bill also ensured that ticket sales were not solely reliant on the Eagles (at first, one was required to buy a ticket for the entire weekend). The blanket was secure. Once Don felt like he could experiment with continuing the Eagles without risking rejection, he said yes.

And yep, the band is still marketable alright. Even Don has expressed surprise at how accepting the public has been of the band without Glenn. Those of us who consider the band illegitimate without Glenn are an astonishingly small minority, even to Henley.

Don and I are on the same page there - I'm shocked at how few of us there are, too.

I can't get over the "third act" comment. The Eagles with Glenn changed the world with their music. The "Eagles" with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey tour the world on a cash grab. Don's going to characterize them as equally significant?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well said Soda.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger