Page 134 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1443

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Well, there's no Eagles for me either, but still I should get my facts straight.
    Incidentally, why are my posts deleted immidiately when I try to edit them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Well, I, obviously, agree with Soda's post as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

This was brought up in the "Randy in the Press thread" - it's from a recent interview with Vince Gill.

Vince states: “I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

At first glance, I was pleased he was saying that he wasn't going to sing anything better than Glenn (and Randy). However, I was turned off by what he "add[ed] with a laugh" - his flippant attitude about people who are "mad" that Randy isn't in the band anymore, and the implied equivalency between those fans and the fans who are "mad" about that the band carries on without Glenn.

Had to go and spoil it, didn't you, Vince.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Did I get it right, is he saying that some people are mad at him for being there, but there are also people mad at Randy for not being there? Randy's playing and singing can be heard on the first five albums, while Vince has toured with them recently singing songs originally sung by Glenn and Randy. How can Vince and Randy be compared in ANY way in the Eagles context? Unless my interpretation is incorrect, that is some hilarious stuff right there.

OMG. Vince needs to stop while he's ahead. He really just needs to stop doing interviews. So much for being a nice guy, huh?

I'm sorry Vince but you aren't an Eagle. Never will be (contrary to what 3.0 supporters think and what's on the marquee), he's not an Eagle.

Comparing his singing in place of Glenn to Randy Meisner's absence in place of Timothy was lame.

I'm sorry and I certainly don't mean to offend Randy fans here but he was not at the same level of importance to the band as Glenn was. There was an Eagles without Bernie, Randy, and Felder and that is ok - but you can't take out the most important guy to the band (at the very least, one of the two most important depending on your perspective, mine is that Glenn was most important IMO), and expect it to be treated along the same level as the other three. That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard someone try to make to justify their wrongdoing. That was a pathetic attempt. Vince just needs to shut up and sing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”
    Wow - I'm sitting here reading this and just shaking my head. Yeah - there's no comparison to be made here on any level. Vince if you think people are still mad 40 years after Randy's departure - just think how many fans feel about the band's effort to replace someone that they believe is irreplacable. Are we mad - you damn right we are - luckily, you don't see our wrath because we're not in the audience.

And on another note, chaim, glad you got your deleted posts issue straightened out. Just in case others may be experiencing a similar problem, I moved the posts that deal with the issue to the board issues thread where members are more likely to see it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I'm sure I don't miss much, but I can't get to see the interview in Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm sure I don't miss much, but I can't get to see the interview in Finland.
    Here's the larger context of the quote (the rest of the article is about his solo stuff):

-----------------------

Gill, who in concert sang Eagles classics including “New Kid in Town,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It to the Limit,” had expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back.

“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

As it turns out, Gill’s high, honeyed tenor voice was just what the Eagles needed. And while his guitar playing is almost as renowned as his singing, he hasn’t been called on much to solo with the Eagles, who already have guitar aces Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith in the lineup.

“They don’t need one more shredding guitar player,” Gill admits. “The songs don’t all have that much solo-minded stuff in them, and the ones that do have these specific, iconic, memorable, well-thought-out guitar parts that are already taken. Just because I can play doesn’t mean that I need to.”

---------------------

UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.
    Exactly! Again... #NoGlennNoEagles

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for that snippet, Soda. At least he understands that the Eagles music doesn't need his guitar playing, no matter how good he is.