Page 14 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    To take it a step further and suggest what he should be doing instead is absurd. It's like when people say the guys should just retire already, they've made enough money - this is horrid for so many reasons. You don't get to tell people what to do.
    Of course we don't get to tell them what to do and make them do it, but that doesn't mean that we have to feel their choice is right or refrain from commenting about our displeasure in said choice. However, if Soda doesn't want us to discuss the value of their decisions, I'm more than happy to oblige. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking it all of the time, because I will be, obviously.

The whole retiring because of money comments come from the fact that the only fathomable reason they'd continue without Glenn is the money on the table. It certainly isn't for the love of doing it. These guys weren't best buddies as of lately and just want to do it to keep the spirit alive. If someone thinks that's true, then I've got some oceanfront property I'd like to sell them in the middle of the desert.

And that's why Henley changed his mind. As long as their is an opportunity to keep getting money from the cash cow, of course they are going to do it and forget about doing what's right (IMO) or going on without the leader of the band and one of the two most important members. I'd have just as much problem if Glenn went on without Henley but somehow I doubt that would have happened. JMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Deacon is basically foregoing having his own identity for several years, singing his father's songs, playing his father's music, living his father's life...but he'll be well compensated. He obviously thinks it's worth it.

Vince hasn't had much of a solo career, so it's no great loss to give it up for the so-called Eagles if he doesn't mind playing second fiddle... And it appears he doesn't.
    I have to disagree about Vince not having much of a solo career. I've been a fan of Vince's since the early 90's. He's had an amazing career - he's won 21 Grammy awards and almost as many CMA awards. I've seen him in concert several times. Amazing guitarist as well as a great singer and songwriter.

Stuck on the Border

Mary - I agree with you in that I also feel Deacon is doing exactly what he wants to be doing. I also believe that he probably finds it therapeutic in dealing with the loss of his father. If he did not want to do it, this new version of the Eagles probably would not have happened.
    However, I see nothing wrong with people saying they hope Deacon goes on to pursue his own career in music or music production/engineering. That is simply their opinion. Everyone does not have to agree with it. Not that it matter at all, but I bet Deacon does not give a crap what we or anyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Not that it matter at all, but I bet Deacon does not give a crap what we or anyone else thinks.
    And frankly, that's how he should feel...along with the rest of the guys. I guarantee you they aren't losing sleep or getting in a hissy fit about the distaste for this that some of us have, like EIK is doing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by klmeps View Post
    I have to disagree about Vince not having much of a solo career. I've been a fan of Vince's since the early 90's. He's had an amazing career - he's won 21 Grammy awards and almost as many CMA awards. I've seen him in concert several times. Amazing guitarist as well as a great singer and songwriter.
    I stand corrected. That's very impressive indeed.

So why do you think he would give all that up to tour for years with the "Eagles"? Were the shows not selling?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    the only fathomable reason they'd continue without Glenn is the money on the table. It certainly isn't for the love of doing it.
    Austin, you and I are friends, but I absolutely do not know where you are getting this. It's like you don't understand that they are actually real people, with real emotions. I think it's the exact opposite, they don't know what to do with themselves and want to continue playing in front of thousands of adoring fans because it's fun and who wouldn't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Austin, you and I are friends, but I absolutely do not know where you are getting this. It's like you don't understand that they are actually real people, with real emotions. I think it's the exact opposite, they don't know what to do with themselves and want to continue playing in front of thousands of adoring fans because it's fun and who wouldn't want to?
    I guess it comes from knowing how manipulative Irving can be (in fact, I blame this getting off the ground on all on him). I think he made Henley an offer he couldn't say no to, and with Deacon on board everyone would go along with it.

Also, the fact that there's been numerous stories that the band didn't get along well (Glenn, Don, Tim, and Joe) and that it was truly a business venture and there wasn't a lot of camaraderie. Sometimes they looked downright stuffy on stage. I always got the feeling that the thing keeping them together was the money on the table and the fact they could stay relevant, which brings them more money. I mean they Fed Ex'd each other parts for the LROOE album because they couldn't stand to be in a room together. I really can't imagine those guys, even when it's just Don, Tim, and Joe loving it so much that they can't imagine anything else to do with their time. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I really hope that you are right. I still don't agree with it, but it would be easier to take I guess than feel it's a shameless money grab. The fact is, we don't know what their motive is, I can only piece it together from my observations and what I can see on the surface. And I feel like I have enough evidence to feel this way.

I dunno. I just feel like it's not for the love of doing it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm right. But I can't help but to go on what I've seen and heard of them.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I see nothing wrong with people saying they hope Deacon goes on to pursue his own career in music or music production/engineering.
    Thanks, NKIT. I guess the problem I have with the above is that it is pulled from thin air. To our knowledge, Deacon hasn't been pursuing either of these things in earnest. Yes, we have little tidbits of information here and there about his interests, but to me it's like someone saying, "I think Deacon should go work for Irving Azoff's company" or "I think Deacon should finish his dad's Hotel California musical." Why do we have to have other ideas for him, or future ideas for him? I think people are trying to be nice by saying, "I don't like him with this band, but I would be OK with _____", which just seems really presumptuous. I know I'm splitting hairs here.

Out on the Border

So why do you think he would give all that up to tour for years with the "Eagles"? Were the shows not selling?
    Listening to some sound bites from Gill today on the Sirius Eagles channel, it does sound like Gill was/is simply a superfan who considers it an amazing honor to play with the Eagles. Imagine if Paul, George, and Ringo had decided to tour in the 80s or 90s, and, say, Clapton took Lennon’s place. Would people wonder, gee, why would Eric do that, with his own incredible solo career? I doubt they would... because it’s the freakin’ Beatles! Except in Gill’s case: It’s the freaking Eagles! Why *wouldn’t* Gill want to do it?! 😄

Out on the Border

I really don't know. I know he cut back on his touring some after he married Amy Grant and they had a family. But as far as I know he still does well when he does tour. My guess is that it really is what he says about how he's such a fan of their music and that he's honored to get to be onstage with them.