Page 16 of 145 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

From what I understand, the 2000s onwards were a business relationship situation - ie, no big dramatic fights, but not much hanging out together either. They did their thing on stage and then went their separate ways for the most part.

The LROOE recording process seems to have had relatively little conflict, with "ground rules" about how many songs each member would have set out at the beginning, and who would make the decisions firmly established. Joe and Tim seem to have accepted all of this with minimal complaint. The biggest drama seems to have been arguments between Glenn and Don over whether or not it should be a double album, with Glenn insisting on the double album. Personal interactions were kept to a minimum with recording of each member's vocals and instruments done at different studios and then overlaid digitally.

Judging from that, I wouldn't say it was done because they were just so full of love for each other that they wanted to work together. The interactions for the most part seemed very business-like. I'm grateful for that business, though. It got me new music and shows from the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.

Stuck on the Border

A tough question. I wouldn't have much personal interest in it, but I guess it would be at least more ok than the present situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    From what I understand, the 2000s onwards were a business relationship situation - ie, no big dramatic fights, but not much hanging out together either. They did their thing on stage and then went their separate ways for the most part.

The LROOE recording process seems to have had relatively little conflict, with "ground rules" about how many songs each member would have set out at the beginning, and who would make the decisions firmly established. Joe and Tim seem to have accepted all of this with minimal complaint. The biggest drama seems to have been arguments between Glenn and Don over whether or not it should be a double album, with Glenn insisting on the double album. Personal interactions were kept to a minimum with recording of each member's vocals and instruments done at different studios and then overlaid digitally.

Judging from that, I wouldn't say it was done because they were just so full of love for each other that they wanted to work together. The interactions for the most part seemed very business-like. I'm grateful for that business, though. It got me new music and shows from the Eagles.
    Soda, I think this is a fair assessment. Reportedly at the time of his death in January 2016 Glenn Frey was estranged from Don Henley and Jackson Browne as well. They had just finished the mammoth HOTE tour and a private gig shortly thereafter. (Glenn was hospitalized in November 2015)

One of the most candid interviews is the one in 2007 with CBS's Steve Croft.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glenn-f...-saved-band/3/

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Soda, I think this is a fair assessment. Reportedly at the time of his death in January 2016 Glenn Frey was estranged from Don Henley and Jackson Browne as well. They had just finished the mammoth HOTE tour and a private gig shortly thereafter. (Glenn was hospitalized in November 2015)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glenn-f...-saved-band/3/
    I still don't understand why they were "estranged" though in 2016. I knew the LROOE was difficult for them to get together and that 2007 interview indicates that. But by 2016 what was the source of the problems? And I don't understand the distance between and Frey and Jackson at all...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Dawn is correct. That is Don Henley's and Jackson Browne's own words. Don gave an interview with the Washington Post in late Nov./early Dec. 2016 right before the KCH. In that interview Don stated he was estranged from Glenn for I believe many years. Jackson had said the same thing to Don. That 60 Minutes interview was quite telling - Don barely looked at Glenn when sitting at that table with Steve Croft. Glenn said they were friends and Don said it was complicated and they were like brothers who fight with each other. You can see the interview on you tube if it is still up.

I think Glenn entered the hospital in October 2015. Bob Seger said he went in Oct. and was placed in the drug induced coma in Nov. Makes me sad to think and talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I still don't understand why they were "estranged" though in 2016. I knew the LROOE was difficult for them to get together and that 2007 interview indicates that. But by 2016 what was the source of the problems? And I don't understand the distance between and Frey and Jackson at all...
    I'm only speculating but by the end of the HOTE tour I think there was most likely a profound sense of accomplisment and pride. Not just for getting the job done physically and mentally but emotionally as well. They were in their 60's. "On the Back Nine" so to speak. They may have believed it wasn't the end. Certainly they woud have each and perhaps collectively had ideas about the future especially Glenn Frey who according to long time friend Bob Seger was actively involved in plans for a Hotel California musical. Glenn was living in NYC and was also involved with teaching a songwriting course at NYU Steinhardt that reportedly he thoroughly enjoyed along with students who spoke after he died about how much they loved Glenn and appreciated his advice and guidance. Whatever the source for the estrangement between Don and Glenn it appears maintaining the business side of their relationship was a practical and viable resolution.

Edited to add:

Awhile back I remember reading that while Glenn loved and respected Don Henley as a musician/songwriter there was a period when he didn't much like him personally. It's probably just that simple. Personal v Professional (Business)
    Last edited by Dawn; 11-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Dawn is correct. That is Don Henley's and Jackson Browne's own words. Don gave an interview with the Washington Post in late Nov./early Dec. 2016 right before the KCH. In that interview Don stated he was estranged from Glenn for I believe many years. Jackson had said the same thing to Don. That 60 Minutes interview was quite telling - Don barely looked at Glenn when sitting at that table with Steve Croft. Glenn said they were friends and Don said it was complicated and they were like brothers who fight with each other. You can see the interview on you tube if it is still up.

I think Glenn entered the hospital in October 2015. Bob Seger said he went in Oct. and was placed in the drug induced coma in Nov. Makes me sad to think and talk about it.
    Thanks NKIT, that's important to know. It greatly saddens me to think of what Glenn endured I suppose I am glad he was placed into a drug induced coma to ease what had to be an extremely painful situation and so very distressful for his wife and kids. I remember reading he was successfully brought out of the coma only to be re-induced because it was so painfully difficult for him to breathe.

What articles are there that detailed what happened to Glenn in the final months? I know very little about it

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    What articles are there that detailed what happened to Glenn in the final months? I know very little about it
    There are two threads in the Glenn sub-board.
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=6068
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=6077