Page 17 of 145 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I think you can read too much into Don's "estranged" comment. He and Glenn had very different personalities and that included how close they remained with old friends. Don has remained close with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, whereas Glenn didn't once their lives no longer touched. Instead, he made new friends who fitted in with his new life.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think you can read too much into Don's "estranged" comment. He and Glenn had very different personalities and that included how close they remained with old friends. Don has remained close with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, whereas Glenn didn't once their lives no longer touched. Instead, he made new friends who fitted in with his new life.
    Yes, that's probably true Glenn Frey was gregarious but also protective of his personal life. After the HOTE tour he was most likely worn out and not wanting to deal with unnecessary stress and/or anxiety.

However "estranged" which is the term Henley used implies more than just losing touch.
    Last edited by Dawn; 11-22-2017 at 05:31 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Just hearing news about the tour and seeing an image in an email from the Eagles with two extra people and one missing makes me angrier than I thought it would. That'll never be the Eagles for me. Glenn was irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned.

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think he compartmentalized, perhaps a bit more than most, his sets of friends. "I can't even relate to that guy anymore," he once said of himself, referring to what he was like in the 60s and 70s (this was an interview from the early 90s, I believe). I think that might have extended to the company he kept.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
    Just hearing news about the tour and seeing an image in an email from the Eagles with two extra people and one missing makes me angrier than I thought it would. That'll never be the Eagles for me. Glenn was irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned.

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/
    Amen!

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's funny - I see it the opposite way. We've always known that money was a huge motivator for these guys - they've been pretty open about it - but now, many people want to act like money's not a motivator, and it's all about how much they love playing together. I think maybe it has a lot more to do with those who agree with the decision to continue than with the band's business practices.

Regardless, there's one thing no one can deny: they're using the name Eagles for its monetary benefit. They can play together without doing using the name "Eagles". Since the use of the name is my main point of contention, then I can quite easily say that money is the issue.
    I don't think you can necessarily draw that conclusion. There's a difference between a money grab and using the Eagles name to make the new tour a successful business venture. I agree that money is a motivator -- even if they enjoy touring together (which from comments they've made and their smiles on stage, I personally think they do) -- it's not worth it if they don't make enough to pay their employees and make something out of it. I don't think the remaining Eagles members need to be overly concerned with money at this point in their careers, but it makes no sense to do it if it's not economically viable.

As is the case with Deacon, we don't really know their motivations. (At least I don't, and I don't frame my remarks by saying "They don't care about money" as some do with "It's a money grab." Also, remarks like "Can't wait till Henley's voice gives out so this ends" are very hurtful. (I'm paraphrasing the quote and I know it's a ways back in this thread, but it still smarts. If anyone had ever said that about Glenn's voice, we'd never hear the end of it, and rightfully so.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.
    The answer for me would still be a no with Bernie or Randy.

I actually wouldn't want them to bring Felder on. It would make me even more mad. I think that would be a slap in the face since Glenn couldn't stand him. I wanted Felder back for the longest time but I quickly realized Glenn wasn't all wrong and Felder wasn't all right. It started with him whining about the Grammy tribute and the KCH. It wouldn't have been right. It still wouldn't. It'd be different if Felder actually patched things up with Glenn but that never happened and now is not the time to erase history. It would be salt on the wound, as it were. IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.
    It's not about percentages of classic line-ups, at least not for me.

Glenn started the band with Don Henley, but it's not just that. Both of them have been in it since day one and are fundamental to its sound. Both are essential to the Eagles. Therefore, neither Henley nor Frey are replaceable. The removal of one of them is not simply "a lower percentage of the classic line up."

I do not accept that an entity without either of them can legitimately call itself the "Eagles."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I do not accept that an entity without either of them can legitimately call itself the "Eagles."
    This. Simply put.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

What if Deacon Frey had said no?

That is a question I have asked myself more than once most recently the other day when news of a 2018 North American tour was made official with more dates to be announced.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016