Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1361

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

  1. #11

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have already quoted the exact words to which I took exception, but I have included the entire passage & bolded the words.

    In an interview published in the Las Vegas Sun today (Nov. 14), where he has three shows at the House of Blues at the Mandalay Bay, Joe Walsh was asked about the groupís string of 2017 dates and whether the band would tour in 2018: ďYes, we are. You know, we had to try. We didnít know if we could do it, so we had to try. Glennís son said OK and stepped up; heís 23 and heís great. He doesnít know heís great but heís great, and that really helped us spiritually. Then we got Vince Gill and he filled in that ghost voice in the harmonies, and heís a brilliant musician.
    ďSo we rehearsed and I was really nervous about it, but we played a couple shows and got great reviews and it just felt right onstage. It felt great. So we took a deep breath and recommitted and yes, next year weíre going to play between 40 and 50 shows. It sure feels good to play our music for people again, and they know the words better than we do.Ē

    http://bestclassicbands.com/eagles-t...sive-11-14-17/

    Oh, and repeating 'great' FIVE times makes Walsh sound like Donald Trump.
    Iím not going to argue here because I respect the wishes of those who wish to express their opinion and not have to argue about it. I just want to say that I think filling in the ghost voice in the harmonies is an issue of taste I guess. Some would say he effectively fills the harmonies some would say he doesnít. I personally think he does a good job but Iím not here to argue that point. Is the word ďghostĒ the word you donít like? I can understand being upset at referring him to that way. It was insensitive both as it undermines Glennís role in the harmonies and for referring to him as a ghost

  2. #12
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    I'm disappointed in both Timothy and Joe these days for what they say in interviews, or how they say it. I don't remember reading much from Don. I don't like this situation at all, but I keep it to myself, because me raving about it doesn't change anything. Also, I see people enjoying it, so it's not for me to say they shouldn't. And somewhere in me there's a voice that says "its only a rock band, don't worry about it". But it does bother me when I suddenly see them being "worryingly" excited to be playing without Glenn.

  3. #13
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    24,191

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Iím not going to argue here because I respect the wishes of those who wish to express their opinion and not have to argue about it. I just want to say that I think filling in the ghost voice in the harmonies is an issue of taste I guess. Some would say he effectively fills the harmonies some would say he doesnít. I personally think he does a good job but Iím not here to argue that point. Is the word ďghostĒ the word you donít like? I can understand being upset at referring him to that way. It was insensitive both as it undermines Glennís role in the harmonies and for referring to him as a ghost

    If you want to put it that way. I know you think he fills the gap. I'm not going over that again. But not only does the choice of words grate in relation to harmony singing, it also ignores how many lead vocals Glenn sang. As if that doesn't matter. As if, as you yourself have indicated on numerous occasions, as if anyone could sing those songs & nobody will notice the difference.

  4. #14

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If you want to put it that way. I know you think he fills the gap. I'm not going over that again. But not only does the choice of words grate in relation to harmony singing, it also ignores how many lead vocals Glenn sang. As if that doesn't matter. As if, as you yourself have indicated on numerous occasions, as if anyone could sing those songs & nobody will notice the difference.
    I didnít think about the lead vocal part of that my bad. I personally think Gill does a better job replacing Glenn in the harmonies than in the lead vocal role. At this point Iíd rather have Deacon do all Glenn leads and have Gill do TITTL and harmonies.

  5. #15
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    I noticed today one thing that bothers me about the situation. This is probably going to irritate "both parties", but I've always felt that although Timothy is a great musician, he also got a bit of a "free ride" in terms of the Eagles's recorded legacy. But today most people probably think he's always been there. (I respect Timothy very much for thanking Randy in his HOF speech) I don't mean that he hasn't worked his butt off, I mean that today he's probably associated with all Eagles music. Now that Glenn has been "replaced", I feel that it strengthens Timothy's place in the Eagles - as an "original Eagle" when he's seen with Deacon and Vince. And Joe...He wasn't on the first four albums, but now he's one of the "real Eagles" with two new guys. (Neither one appears on the first GH album) I realize I may be paranoid, but I just feel that now that the "boss" (and one of the two long-standing founding members) is no longer there, the people who joined later are now seen as "THE Eagles". I guess it comes back to the legacy talk - and who's associated with the records in the future.

  6. #16
    Border Rebel
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Swinging on the top in MA
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Maybe I'm missing your point, Chaim, but Joe has been an Eagle for over 40 years; Timothy almost that long. Why wouldn't they be considered Eagles as much as Bernie or Randy?

  7. #17
    Border Desperado
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Randy and Bernie were there 6 and 4 years respectively. Joe and Tim have been around since the original run....plus, the entire resumption...and now part of the re-incarnation? for lack of a better word.

    I think that Glenn and Don made a clear statement in 1994 when they asked Joe and Tim to be part of the resumption and not Randy and Bernie. They had the choice. There was no rule that said it had to be the band as it existed when they broke up...because we all know that the band that existed when they broke up, really didn't exist anymore when they got back together.

    I think questioning legacy is a bit of a moot point. People who care about legacy know....and people who don't care about that sort of thing, could care less. Glenn and Don never made a point of reminding people that Tim and Joe weren't original members....so why would it be a big deal now?

  8. #18
    Moderator Brooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)
    Posts
    21,029

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    I don't like to argue either, so I will continue to just pretty much ignore what is now going on. I'm not interested. I can't help it. My favorite band died with Glenn.

    I'm shocked they are continuing to tour next year. Evidently these guys want to continue to play together as much as possible. I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves, which I would be in favor of.

    Remember back during Farewell 1 how they looked like they were miserable sometimes? And barely spoke to one another? Somehow they turned that around and were actually enjoying themselves by the time of HotE. I think now that Glenn is gone it's all just a money grab.

    As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

  9. #19
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I don't like to argue either, so I will continue to just pretty much ignore what is now going on. I'm not interested. I can't help it. My favorite band died with Glenn.

    I'm shocked they are continuing to tour next year. Evidently these guys want to continue to play together as much as possible. I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves, which I would be in favor of.

    Remember back during Farewell 1 how they looked like they were miserable sometimes? And barely spoke to one another? Somehow they turned that around and were actually enjoying themselves by the time of HotE. I think now that Glenn is gone it's all just a money grab.

    As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!
    This^^^^^


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  10. #20
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,233

    Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves
    Creatively, sure. But the solo shows don't bring in the cash like the "Eagles."

    If they wanted to play together, they could do so without calling themselves the "Eagles." Even if one wants to believe they find playing together more creatively rewarding than making music solo, I seriously doubt that 40-50 dates have been planned simply because they just rejoice in each other's company THAT MUCH. These men have families, after all.

    I wonder if Azoff deliberately booked Henley in bigger venues than he could fill last year to help convince him he needed to continue the band. "Look at all the empty seats. No one wants to see you solo. Restart the 'Eagles' and just tell everyone that you were in shock when you said that continuing the Eagles without Glenn would be 'greedy' and 'desperate'." Just speculation, of course, but he was playing several ridiculously large venues that he didn't have a chance of filling as a solo act... one has to ask why.

    But then again, perhaps I'm being foolishly elaborate with my little theory. Henley was offered a great deal of money. Such psychological manipulation was probably not necessary. Maybe they booked the larger venues to have more first row seats to sell at a premium price or something... it was just a thought that occurred to me.

    As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!
    Bet if they do a new album, they don't even see each other's faces more than a couple times during the entire process. All sound files, digital media, and remote communications. UGH, a so-called Eagles album without Glenn is horrible to contemplate.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •