Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Banned

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

It may have been an unfortunate usage, but "ghost harmony" is, I believe, a widely used term.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    It may have been an unfortunate usage, but "ghost harmony" is, I believe, a widely used term.
    Is it? Perhaps you could provide some information on it,then. I have just looked it up & found nothing relating to what was discussed.

Banned

Joe often refers to the "ghost harmony" when talking about vocals. It's the harmony part that you can't really distinguish, Joe would describe it as the part you can't hear but iis an essential part of the sound.

I believe the band have been rejigging which parts of the harmony they sing, to make the best of their current pool of vocal talent.

I'm no fan of Vince but I'm hoping that he'll inspire Eagles to make a new record. Part Of The Plan is a helluva whimper to go out on.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Joe often refers to the "ghost harmony" when talking about vocals. It's the harmony part that you can't really distinguish, Joe would describe it as the part you can't hear but iis an essential part of the sound.

I believe the band have been rejigging which parts of the harmony they sing, to make the best of their current pool of vocal talent.

I'm no fan of Vince but I'm hoping that he'll inspire Eagles to make a new record. Part Of The Plan is a helluva whimper to go out on.
    Glenn Frey's harmonies were not 'inaudible'. Nice of you to say that they were essential, though. Very generous of you.

Of course they have to 'rejig' their harmonies. That goes without saying. They'll never fill the gap, no matter what they do. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Glenn Frey's harmonies were not 'inaudible'. Nice of you to say that they were essential, though. Very generous of you.

Of course they have to 'rejig' their harmonies. That goes without saying. They'll never fill the gap, no matter what they do. In my opinion.
    I had always trouble hearing Glenn in the harmonies. I find Tim and Randy easy to distinguish and usually Don. I think Glenn blends in well. I notice his voice on NMWITW pretty well. But in LITFL and HC I can’t pick out his voice.

Out on the Border DiscoStrangler's Avatar

In reading various comments on here, I guess I don't see why some have so much hatred for the fact that the Eagles have continued on without Glenn. I'm glad I got to see them in Louisville on the mini tour. I never had the opportunity when Glenn was alive, and for my money, this was the next best thing. People are getting bent out of shape that they have the audacity to go on with Deacon and Vince, they're selling out shows. They'll sell out every show on this tour more than likely. It's not like they're Chicago or The Doobie Brothers, who are brands at this point that continue to tour year after year with a couple of original members left. And for those arguing (and afraid of their legacy, which is absurd) at the fact that Joe and Timothy aren't original members, they've been members far longer than Bernie or Randy. I'm more bothered by their sound changing so much from what it was years ago.

That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.

I do think Don shouldn't have been so quick to say they probably wouldn't play anymore so quickly after Glenn died, when it's now turned to this. It all comes down to $$$. If he can continue to milk the Eagles for all that it's worth, that's what he's going to do. He's proven that. Might as well enjoy the music rather than complain about it, because they're going to keep going whether the hardcore fan base likes it or not.

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't expecting people to get my point. (which wasn't as simple as not being original members) It's hard to explain what I mean. And it's not worth trying again. And like I said, it's only how I feel. I wasn't stating a fact. Therefore I'm not saying I'm right.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I had always trouble hearing Glenn in the harmonies. I find Tim and Randy easy to distinguish and usually Don. I think Glenn blends in well. I notice his voice on NMWITW pretty well. But in LITFL and HC I can’t pick out his voice.
    Lilsten to the title line of LITFL. That is Glenn. You seem to forget that song barely has any harmonies.

In HC I assume he's singing part of the harmonies in the chorus.

Regardless it seems rather unfair to pick out two songs where there aren't that many harmonies to make a case that Glenn is hard to hear in them.

At this point I am banging my head against a brick wall. I already know your views on the subject of Glenn's vocals. You stick to them and I will stick to mine.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-16-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Creatively, sure. But the solo shows don't bring in the cash like the "Eagles."

If they wanted to play together, they could do so without calling themselves the "Eagles." Even if one wants to believe they find playing together more creatively rewarding than making music solo, I seriously doubt that 40-50 dates have been planned simply because they just rejoice in each other's company THAT MUCH. These men have families, after all.

I wonder if Azoff deliberately booked Henley in bigger venues than he could fill last year to help convince him he needed to continue the band. "Look at all the empty seats. No one wants to see you solo. Restart the 'Eagles' and just tell everyone that you were in shock when you said that continuing the Eagles without Glenn would be 'greedy' and 'desperate'." Just speculation, of course, but he was playing several ridiculously large venues that he didn't have a chance of filling as a solo act... one has to ask why.

But then again, perhaps I'm being foolishly elaborate with my little theory. Henley was offered a great deal of money. Such psychological manipulation was probably not necessary. Maybe they booked the larger venues to have more first row seats to sell at a premium price or something... it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Bet if they do a new album, they don't even see each other's faces more than a couple times during the entire process. All sound files, digital media, and remote communications. UGH, a so-called Eagles album without Glenn is horrible to contemplate .
    Yes it is.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post
    In reading various comments on here, I guess I don't see why some have so much hatred for the fact that the Eagles have continued on without Glenn. I'm glad I got to see them in Louisville on the mini tour. I never had the opportunity when Glenn was alive, and for my money, this was the next best thing. People are getting bent out of shape that they have the audacity to go on with Deacon and Vince, they're selling out shows. They'll sell out every show on this tour more than likely. It's not like they're Chicago or The Doobie Brothers, who are brands at this point that continue to tour year after year with a couple of original members left. And for those arguing (and afraid of their legacy, which is absurd) at the fact that Joe and Timothy aren't original members, they've been members far longer than Bernie or Randy. I'm more bothered by their sound changing so much from what it was years ago.

That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.

I do think Don shouldn't have been so quick to say they probably wouldn't play anymore so quickly after Glenn died, when it's now turned to this. It all comes down to $$$. If he can continue to milk the Eagles for all that it's worth, that's what he's going to do. He's proven that. Might as well enjoy the music rather than complain about it, because they're going to keep going whether the hardcore fan base likes it or not.
    I reserve my right to complain. Once again, the people who object to this are being told to be silent.