Page 30 of 145 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

You would have been within your rights to roll your eyes when he called you a purist

Stuck on the Border

Well, this does not surprise me. There is a whole segment of the population that have no idea Glenn died. They hear the Eagles are touring and just assume it is the pre-2017 Eagles. I would guess there are a lot of people who just enjoy their music and have no idea who made up the group.
    When Sirius plays music from the new version of the group, do they announce it is the "new Eagles" ?
    Soda, you are going to be hearing plenty of this until Don call it quits.

Stuck on the Border

I read the Lefsetzletter under happy birthday wishes for Joe. Lefsetz attended his party and made, in MO, this shameful statement :Except if you’re the Eagles. America’s biggest band, just check the statistics, who are ironically better in their new incarnation.
    He can't be serious - better than the guys who founded/wrote/recorded the songs this new version is now singing. God, I was pissed off when I read this. Comments were closed so I could not write anything.

Banned

I agree with you, NKIT. While I hold the (unpopular) opinion that this version of the group is quite good, enjoyable, and worth my time, there is no way that it is better than the Eagles with Glenn Frey. Hard to believe that any respected critic would write that based on his viewing of one emotional, poignant reunion show.

It's tough when people write or say something complimentary that is so absurdly false that it puts others in position to speak negatively about something that they like. I like this band. But it's not the same, and it's not better.

Stuck on the Border

I don't know if Lefsetz ia a 'respected' critic. He is a Henley fanboy. I have never read anything written by him I could take seriously for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Another "never assume the casual fan has a clue" moment:

Colleague: Hey, did you hear the Eagles are touring? I know you're a big fan!

Me: [thinking] Here we go again.... How many times are people going to come up to me with this "news".... [deep breath, begin recitation] Yeah, I know a group calling themselves the Eagles are touring but I don't think Don Henley should have continued the band after Glenn Frey died and I'm not going to any of the shows.

Him: Don Henley?

Me: [thinking] Seriously? [aloud] Don Henley was the other main singer in the Eagles. He's the one that's still alive.

Him: Oh, OK. Sorry, I didn't know who was who. Anyway I see you're a purist!

Me: Um. Yeah. I guess you could say that.

----------------

It's all about the brand.
    Yep. Exactly.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Bob Lefsetz is an @sshole. He's proven that time and time again, even prompting Taylor Swift (not a fan but I've heard) to write a song about his bullying "letters".

He's dreaming if he thinks in any way Vince and Deacon are better than Glenn. That's a sick twisted joke. I agree with FP that he's likely a Henley fanboy. Still, you're a journalist (I use that phrase lightly with Bob), and you are not supposed to be biased. It makes me very mad that he would dare say anything like that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Bob Lefsetz is an @sshole. He's proven that time and time again, even prompting Taylor Swift (not a fan but I've heard) to write a song about his bullying "letters".

He's dreaming if he thinks in any way Vince and Deacon are better than Glenn. That's a sick twisted joke. I agree with FP that he's likely a Henley fanboy. Still, you're a journalist (I use that phrase lightly with Bob), and you are not supposed to be biased. It makes me very mad that he would dare say anything like that.
    Remember what he wrote about LROOE? Apparently that album was only made by one person.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10...eing-fabulous/

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10...d-out-of-eden/

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=559

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Just more proof he has his nose up Henley's behind.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I first subscribed to his email listserv back in 2005. Over the years, he's written some good stuff, but by now he's definitely past his peak.

And FP is right - he's a total Henley fanboy.

He's not a journalist, though, nor does he pretend to be in the sense of "CNN news". He gives his opinion about a variety of topics, mostly related in some way to the music industry, when he's not talking about himself. No objectivity required.

As NKIT said, the piece being referred to here was about going to Joe Walsh's birthday party, and it was such an obnoxious extended humblebrag that I actually thought about writing a scornful reply (I have written replies to him, over the years, perhaps half a dozen times). Here's a representative excerpt (you can read the whole thing on his blog):
    "...I looked around and realized the room was a who’s who. Everybody from Bill Maher to Paul Allen. From Jerry Moss to Sherry Lansing. From Jim Keltner to Jeff Lynne. From Tom Hanks to Richard Lewis. Everybody was recognizable. That’s what fame will deliver, the inner circle, somewhere we all want to be and rarely get access to.

I felt privileged to be in attendance. Especially when people knew who I was. Joe’s wife Marjorie came up to me and my natural instinct was to state my name, to explain who I was, that I was not an interloper, and she said of course she knew who I was, they were big fans.

So maybe I’m inside. Or half in and half out.

And it’s been a long way to the top of rock and roll."
    Yes, of COURSE they know who you are, Bob! It's just that you're so terribly MODEST, you didn't realize how everyone who's anyone admires you! Aw, shucks! Well, we're all clued in to that fact now! I loved hearing about how special the celebrities think you are and the names of everyone who talked to you. Thank you for letting us know that now, you're at "the top."

He has a right to his opinion, of course. I imagine him gazing lovingly at Don Henley singing "Desperado" and thinking how he can't wait to get back home and write how the Classic was the best! show! ever! and now without Glenn to get in Don's way and Don completely dominant it's the best! lineup! ever! and isn't Don Henley just the best! singer! ever!

Gag me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten