Page 34 of 145 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm glad that "most of us" doesn't include the rest of the band, which currently includes his son, Deacon.

I became an Eagles fan in the late 70s, when Henley was far more prominent than Frey. I became a Frey fan during his solo career, so I've been a GF fan for a long time. I'm sure most of his fans are fine too but there is an unpleasant minority who seem to judge everybody, simply by how much they praise Glenn and are pretty hostile to those that don't reach the mark.
    Give it a rest. I was talking about the fans, not what you laughingly call 'the band'. In any case, quite frankly I doubt that even 'the band' would claim that they are now 'better' without him, although nothing would surprise me any more. In any case, I am no more obliged to support what you call 'the band' and their alleged feelings than you are to pretend you had any time for Glenn.

It is not that Glenn's fans want everybody to praise him all the time but we take exception to comments about how the 'band' is better without him. You have done nothing but put him down since he died. You've done all this 'new lease of life! New material! Better live!' stuff ad nauseam since day one. I can't even remember you writing anything in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.* You have said his death didn't affect you. Well, OK, but you could at least show some consideration towards those it did affect.

*Yes, you did, to be fair, on page 47. You mainly focused on 'losing our first Eagle'. You offered 'condolences to the super Glenn Frey fans'. I will leave it there.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-01-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
    I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
    I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.
    I can see where you are coming from BB, but taking into consideration the things he's posted on this forum about Glenn and his fans, I feel it was likely to try to rile up Frey fans, like he continues to do time and time again for his own benefit.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm glad that "most of us" doesn't include the rest of the band, which currently includes his son, Deacon.

I became an Eagles fan in the late 70s, when Henley was far more prominent than Frey. I became a Frey fan during his solo career, so I've been a GF fan for a long time. I'm sure most of his fans are fine too but there is an unpleasant minority who seem to judge everybody, simply by how much they praise Glenn and are pretty hostile to those that don't reach the mark.
    FP is right.

Give it a rest. Do I think you will, not for a second. It would be nice, though.

The bolded part is simply untrue. We just are against this band continuing, and are Glenn fans period, and that apparently bothers you for whatever the reason.

It's not like we are going around asking "Have you praised Glenn today?" and tallying how many say yes and those that don't get shunned. It's ridiculous.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Desperado

It seems that I wake up everyday with a different attitude or opinion on 3.0
    There are some days that I get excited thinking about them coming to Knoxville, and hoping they will, then some days, I just can't imagine them without Glenn....and again on others, I will watch a clip and think....hey they do still sound great, different, but great, and others, I think ....this is not the Eagles.....
    I find myself defending and attacking the continuation in my own head all the time.

So, I am very torn. So, if I ever post things about the new group vs. old group that seem like contradictions....they probably are..because my mind (as far as the Eagles go) is in a state of constant contradiction.

Stuck on the Border

It seems that I wake up everyday with a different attitude or opinion on 3.0
    There are some days that I get excited thinking about them coming to Knoxville, and hoping they will, then some days, I just can't imagine them without Glenn....and again on others, I will watch a clip and think....hey they do still sound great, different, but great, and others, I think ....this is not the Eagles.....
    I find myself defending and attacking the continuation in my own head all the time.

So, I am very torn. So, if I ever post things about the new group vs. old group that seem like contradictions....they probably are..because my mind (as far as the Eagles go) is in a state of constant contradiction.
    I had similar thoughts when I noticed that sometimes I don't mind that the band seems very excited and sometimes it bothers me. I mean "worryingly" excited.

I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
    I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
    I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.
    Perhaps that's the way you see it, but the way Funk 50 phrased it...

well, let's return to your earlier analogy about remarriage. While admittedly it's not the same, on an emotional level.... let's keep in mind he posted this right after Glenn died.

Using your analogy, it's like:

"Too bad your husband died. I hope your life will be better now and your next marriage will be an improvement on that one."

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

My much miss quoted comment that caused such shock to the Frey fanatics was that I hoped that the Eagles would be better without Glenn. I've never said that they were.
    You knew quite well you would upset his fans with that remark. You enjoy riling up his fans. It's been that way since you joined the board.

He had just died, though.

Most people would have had the decency to put the trolling on hold for a little while, at least. Instead, you twisted the knife.

So portray yourself as a misunderstood victim if you want; some will believe you. I remember what you really are.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Yep, the timing was disastrous IMHO.

I rarely post in this topic since I'm in support of the current band but I do want to make one thing clear after reading some of the posts here. While I will go see them on their next tour, I KNOW they won't be better than when Glenn was alive and in the band. When they lost Glenn, they lost a spark that could never be replaced or replicated. I go see them because I missed out on seeing them when Glenn was alive.

To me, (and even though I became a fan after his death) the Eagles are Glenn's band and I see them continuing as a way to honor Glenn's legacy. I know some people won't agree with me and that's okay. I understand people on here are upset that the band is continuing without Glenn and I would never think of telling them they are wrong for thinking the band ended with Glenn's death. That's their opinion and they are entitled to it just like I'm entitled to mine.

In my mind, Glenn is still very much a big part of the Eagles even though he's no longer with us.
    (Wow, I didn't realize I had that much to say.)
    "You only live forever in the lights you make....you only hear the music when your heart begins to break."

Stuck on the Border

Has anyone seen the episode of Roadies that is about a Lefsetz character? Presumably, it shows Cameron Crowe's view of the relationship between the music business and Lefsetz and it's not flattering for either party.

Funk50 has always liked to stir things up but he's also been consistent in expressing a desire to hear new music from Eagles and its members, especially Joe Walsh, even before Glenn died. I can understand why he would see any change as having the potential to deliver new music but my guess is that he's disappointed with what he's heard so far.

I hate all the infighting about whether the band should continue. I can't tell people how to feel and so I've been thinking about my own reactions.

I saw a version of Eagles for the first time in 2013. It was closest I could get to the band of my youth as, with Bernie, it had three of the four original members. It was a great experience an although I would have loved to see Randy, I was satisfied. I saw the same tour once more and reached the conclusion that I was now more interested in seeing solo performances, preferably in smaller venues with lower prices. I even saw a tribute band which had the advantages not only of low price, small venue and convenience but also of a more varied setlist.

After Glenn died, I felt that Don Henley was right to say the band was over and I couldn't believe that there were people who thought they should continue without Glenn. When the rumours of Classic West began, I was slightly angry and upset but at the same time, I wanted to see and hear Deacon. I know he's not his father, but I wanted to know if he'd inherited some of the talents.

At some point, I decided to let the hurt go. There's nothing I can do to change it and many of Glenn's friends and family seem to be supporting the continuation of the band so who am I to oppose it?

I found I was able to enjoy the anticipation for the Classic West and East shows. I watched the clips, read the reviews and looked at the pictures. I like Deacon - he's like and unlike his father - but he's just singing the same old songs. I no longer bother to follow the shows and I've no interest in seeing them.