Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Border Desperado

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Lilsten to the title line of LITFL. That is Glenn. You seem to forget that song barely has any harmonies.

In HC I assume he's singing part of the harmonies in the chorus.

Regardless it seems rather unfair to pick out two songs where there aren't that many harmonies to make a case that Glenn is hard to hear in them.

At this point I am banging my head against a brick wall. I already know your views on the subject of Glenn's vocals. You stick to them and I will stick to mine.
    There is a version of HC, the "LA Long Run" bootleg, where Don loses his mic or it cuts out and you can hear Glenn pretty much over everybody else singing in the "Living it up at the Hotel California" part. Its actually interesting to hear, because he sings that line just a bit of different emphasis than Henley.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    What harmonies do you hear Glenn well on? This question could be open to anyone. I just don’t hear it well
    There are three people singing the lines "Short people are just the same as you and I" and "All men are...", but Glenn's is the only one I recognize - almost to the point that it sounds like "one big Glenn" to me. Maybe it's because of the mix, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjStSqu_w4

Banned

From what I could gather, the ghost harmony is the part that is third from the top, probably exactly where Glenn would fit in, after Tim and Don. I don't think Vince's voice is quite as conducive for that part, however.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post
    If you want to complain, more power to you. Like I said, they're going to keep going apparently no matter if you like it or not. Doesn't make it right. It's just a fact.
    That's never stopped me before. lol

Just staying quiet and complacent doesn't work for me. I'm not a mouse that's going to stay in my little shoebox because there is a big tom cat waiting for me outside.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's never stopped me before. lol

Just staying quiet and complacent doesn't work for me. I'm not a mouse that's going to stay in my little shoebox because there is a big tom cat waiting for me outside.
    I believe the recent criticisms were addressed to me. I don't remember talking much about how I feel about the current band situation - in fact I haven't even given it much thought. (I don't think about the Eagles that often.) The Joe interview got me thinking about it. I'm not going to talk about it any further and I realize people have said similar things before. I was talking more to people who don't like the current situation. I have no interest in fighting about it with anyone. I said what I had in mind and that's it. How I feel might change in the future to something more "acceptable".

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I believe the recent criticisms were addressed to me. I don't remember talking much about how I feel about the current band situation - in fact I haven't even given it much thought. (I don't think about the Eagles that often.) The Joe interview got me thinking about it. I'm not going to talk about it any further and I realize people have said similar things before. I was talking more to people who don't like the current situation. I have no interest in fighting about it with anyone. I said what I had in mind and that's it. How I feel might change in the future to something more "acceptable".
    Oh I know, I just felt the need to make a comment about the "you should keep quiet, you won't stop them" vibe I got from DiscoStrangler's post. I was more talking about the current situation, which I will never just "accept because I can't control it".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As far as Chaim's post about Tim and Joe, I can kind of see where it's coming from. The interview was, even as a Joe fan, majorly off-putting to those of us against this thing and to those who were Glenn fans. I am disappointed with Joe, for sure. And Tim as well.

For me, the fact that Joe isn't on Greatest Hits doesn't bother me. I consider Hotel California to be the best work they've ever done. I'm not a country rock guy. The first two albums did very little for me. I'm not a Bernie fan. I respect him as a player, but that style is not for me. I'm all classic rock all the time and I'll take a song like Victim Of Love any day over something like Tequila Sunrise. I feel the addition of Joe made them even bigger and without Joe, I have a strong feeling they wouldn't be quite as highly known or respected. Known, yes, and for those that like their early music, sure. But the addition of Joe made them a supergroup, where Joe and the Eagles were better together than apart. Joe with the Eagles is stronger than Joe solo and the Eagles with Joe is stronger than the Eagles without Joe/with Bernie. Some of his James Gang/solo fans hate that he joined the Eagles but I'll take Hotel California and The Long Run over any Joe material, and I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. And I'll take Hotel California and The Long Run over the first 4 records combined any day. That's just me.

As far as Tim, I respect Tim and I like his playing. ICTYW is an amazing song and great vocalist. It's tough for me because my two favorite records have two different bassists on them so it's hard for me to choose. I think Tim has paid his dues with the band, but I also understand the fact that he wasn't on the majority of their 70s output. Again, the Greatest Hits thing doesn't bother me because I've always felt it was a bit overrated and I personally prefer to listen to GH2.

I see where you are coming from Chaim, but as someone who mostly likes the last two Eagles albums from the 70s, I have to say I feel like they've earned it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't talking about my personal opinions about the music or the quality of it. I'd respect Joe a hell of a lot even for his keyboard work in NKIT alone. Genius stuff from a guitar player. I was talking more about quantity than quality. When people hear studio versions of Eagles music, a lot of the time they don't hear Joe and/or Timothy, but because of the current situation the "masses" may start to think that all the classic material is Don, Joe and Timothy - now that Glenn is no longer there as one of the two originals. I realize that my "fear" may have no basis in reality, it's just how I feel at the moment. And like I said, it may change. What Joe and Timothy have done in the Eagles they have done amazingly well, no question about that.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-17-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well YEF, I have to say I think Glenn's backing vocals have always been the most prominent in all their songs. Look at the Capital Center Concert - you can hear it loud and clear. The same goes for all the other videos up on you tube. Yes, he blends in, but he is usually the easiest in MHO to hear and pick out. And that goes for every song he sings harmony/backing vocals in.
    I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out, not that it’s glenn fault. I don’t hear Glenn well In that concert.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out, not that it’s glenn fault. I don’t hear Glenn well In that concert.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I personally have never had a problem hearing or picking out Glenn's vocals. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying I have always been able to hear him singing.