Page 70 of 145 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but I totally agree with this. "Come Monday" Is my favorite song that he does and the rest? Meh.

PS I agree that "ghost harmonies" was a poor choice of words and I can see why it's upsetting, but I also had no idea that it was a widely used term. That makes it sting just a little less, IMO. I am not in the "should have quit" camp but I have complete sympathy for those who are hurting. I totally get it and I'm genuinely sorry that it is causing you guys so much pain. Now I will go back to my lurking.
    Thanks for your understanding. These last couple years have not been the best of times for some Eagles fans, so, fortunately, we have this thread where we can come and vent if we feel the need to.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Jimmy Buffet is a long time Azoff client. Saw him almost 20 years ago and it was a fun show but never had any desire to see him since.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Here are a couple of comments which jarred from the Indianapolis review:

On Monday, Henley mentioned his former partner when introducing "Best of My Love" — the Eagles' first No. 1 hit back in 1974.
    And that was it, aside from Deacon Frey, Glenn's son, giving a heartfelt introduction to "Peaceful Easy Feeling": "Here's one my dad used to sing."

reimagined and rejuvenated

the Glenn Frey era

https://www.indystar.com/story/enter...rts/413318002/

Yeah, I get it. Glenn Frey is the past & so are his fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

On Monday, Henley mentioned his former partner when introducing "Best of My Love" — the Eagles' first No. 1 hit back in 1974.
    And that was it, aside from Deacon Frey, Glenn's son, giving a heartfelt introduction to "Peaceful Easy Feeling": "Here's one my dad used to sing."
    I'm on vacation now and haven't had much of a chance to post but ugh. I wonder if, now that they have realized they're marketable without Glenn, they regret bringing Deacon, the constant reminder of him?

I read in another thread Vince is doing a solo song. What an insult to Tim.

the Glenn Frey era

I'm not going to torture myself by reading any of these reviews.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm on vacation now and haven't had much of a chance to post but ugh. I wonder if, now that they have realized they're marketable without Glenn, they regret bringing Deacon, the constant reminder of him?

I read in another thread Vince is doing a solo song. What an insult to Tim.

I'm not going to torture myself by reading any of these reviews.
    I found it depressing the way Glenn has been marginalized as an after thought.

the Glenn Frey era

Henley isn't even dedicating Desperado to Glenn anymore???

Reading posts in another thread on here made me think I understood where the other side was coming from, and then I read about the Indianapolis show, and I'm still mad. They may say they didn't replace him, but that's what they've done. If you look at the set list, more of Glenn's songs were done than they ever did when he was alive. It's like Henley has waited for years to have total control of the band and now he has his chance to do whatever he wants with it. Like Vince Gill doing Ol' 55, without Henley, even...just gets me steamed. Ol' 55 is one of my favorite Eagles songs, I love Glenn's vocal on it, it is just so wrong to have anyone else singing it. This whole thing is wrong.

When I was reading the review of the shows, New Kid in Town came on my pandora and this just rang true with me: "They will never forget you till somebody new comes along." Indeed.

Stuck on the Border

It seems that Don is spreading the vocal load with Vince, Timothy and Deacon all getting an extra song. I can't blame him for that and I don't take it as Don getting it all his own way. It seems that rather taking on Glenn's load, he has been able to delegate. Bill Szymzcyk spoke about Joe having stepped up and taken on rehearsing the horns.

As for not trusting Don Henley's word, well, he is the man who said they'd reunite "When hell freezes over". I think he allows himself to change his mind and, on balance, I prefer that to someone who remains fixed on an idea no matter what.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah – I read a few things about the show and quite frankly felt nothing but sadness and disgust. The fact that they can't be bothered to dedicate a single song to Glenn is repulsive to me. But, I’m like Soda – I’m going to try not to dwell on most of the press about the shows – it just brings me down and there’s not a thing I can do about it. I’m going to focus on the Serenity Prayer, which is what I often fall back on when I need positivity in my life.

And UTW, I get what you are saying about people having the right to change their minds, and I agree with you up to a point. I totally believe people should be flexible and open-minded about lots of things. However, I also believe it is important to have a rigid belief system to live by. If you don’t hold true to some core values such as honesty, loyalty, authenticity, etc., you compromise your integrity. To me, there are varying degrees of evolving your views that are perfectly acceptable, but when you abandon basic guiding principles, you cross the line.

Rant over (for now)!
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 03-14-2018 at 02:07 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

the Glenn Frey era

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before the brand is completely repackaged. They (Henley, Tim and Joe) can't keep selling the Eagles as a nostalgia act without acknowledging their own vulnerability. I expect the band will test market different approaches to determine the future of the brand.

Reimagined. Rejuvenated. Repackaged.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before the brand is completely repackaged. They (Henley, Tim and Joe) can't keep selling the Eagles as a nostalgia act without acknowledging their own vulnerability. I expect the band will test market different approaches to determine the future of the brand.

Reimagined. Rejuvenated. Repackaged.
    I agree. But repackaged as what?? I feel that Deacon is there to bring in the nostalgia factor...especially with the long hair and sunglasses on his head (and it looks like he has a mustache now?), to remind the fans, and perhaps the band themselves, of a time when they were all young together.

This is all just so sad.