Page 77 of 145 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Well I remember some discussion about Deacon and Vince, and if they are becoming long term members and if they are considered “Eagles”.
    Does the bio say that he's an actual member? Personally I don't care for Deacon in the band, but I'd expect it to show in the bio in some way.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Does the bio say that he's an actual member? Personally I don't care for Deacon in the band, but I'd expect it to show in the bio in some way.
    This is a good point. Who are the Eagles.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I'd say we can safely put the ‘Glenn can’t be replaced’ discussion to rest. He has been and even the band has acknowledged that.

I was so busy putting out fires recently that I never really got to weigh in on the picture controversy. I am posting in this 'safe' thread because I personally feel this has been debated to death. When we are discussing things like this, I do think we should stick to discussing how we feel about it and try not to read too much into them. I do believe there is a lot of thought and effort that goes into selecting the band’s publicity photos, and we can express ourselves in terms of the vibe we get from it. And I don’t want to pick on FP too much because I think she was unfairly raked through the coals for her comments and has acknowledged her mistake. But, I did disagree with this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Schmit never used to pose in such a truculent, arms folded, manner before & Henley's body language is also very telling.
    First of all, I don’t think the styling of the picture is that different from many others over the years – you can find many that are similar. There are many pictures of all the band members posing with their arms folded … here’s one of Timothy …

But, I don’t ever recall any of them being described as truculent – that’s a pretty strong, inflammatory term. And Don’s stance in the recent photo is one that he frequently uses in band photos, so I’m not sure what is so telling about this particular one. In any event, I’m just trying to say that these are the kind of comments that get others riled up and incites lots of friction and criticism, so I think we could avoid less judgment if we express ourselves in less provocative terms.

As far as myself, when I saw the picture, I wasn’t angry – I was just sad, especially with the caption that listed them all as Eagles, which, of course, reinforces that Glenn has been replaced. To me, any reminder of this version of the band is like continuouly twisting a knife in an old wound. Along the same lines, I have only watched two or three 3.0 videos with Deacon performing and have never watched one with Vince. I did decide to watch the How Long video the other day out of curiosity and, predictably, it had the same effect on me. But, I did also feel somewhat outraged. I’m not saying that Deacon didn’t do a decent job, but how misinformed critics can listen to this and say this is a better version of the Eagles is outrageous and ignorant as far as I’m concerned. They can say they enjoyed the concert without the absurdity.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I think it’s pretty new. It wasn’t in before. I just think it means it’s a larger part of his life now

Yes, ignorant and absurd but more than anything it is sad.

I have listened to Vince and Deacon and personally, I remain completely underwhelmed.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yeah - I'd say we can safely put the ‘Glenn can’t be replaced’ discussion to rest. He has been and even the band has acknowledged that.

I was so busy putting out fires recently that I never really got to weigh in on the picture controversy. I am posting in this 'safe' thread because I personally feel this has been debated to death. When we are discussing things like this, I do think we should stick to discussing how we feel about it and try not to read too much into them. I do believe there is a lot of thought and effort that goes into selecting the band’s publicity photos, and we can express ourselves in terms of the vibe we get from it. And I don’t want to pick on FP too much because I think she was unfairly raked through the coals for her comments and has acknowledged her mistake. But, I did disagree with this comment:

First of all, I don’t think the styling of the picture is that different from many others over the years – you can find many that are similar. There are many pictures of all the band members posing with their arms folded … here’s one of Timothy …

But, I don’t ever recall any of them being described as truculent – that’s a pretty strong, inflammatory term. And Don’s stance in the recent photo is one that he frequently uses in band photos, so I’m not sure what is so telling about this particular one. In any event, I’m just trying to say that these are the kind of comments that get others riled up and incites lots of friction and criticism, so I think we could avoid less judgment if we express ourselves in less provocative terms.

As far as myself, when I saw the picture, I wasn’t angry – I was just sad, especially with the caption that listed them all as Eagles, which, of course, reinforces that Glenn has been replaced. To me, any reminder of this version of the band is like continuouly twisting a knife in an old wound. Along the same lines, I have only watched two or three 3.0 videos with Deacon performing and have never watched one with Vince. I did decide to watch the How Long video the other day out of curiosity and, predictably, it had the same effect on me. But, I did also feel somewhat outraged. I’m not saying that Deacon didn’t do a decent job, but how misinformed critics can listen to this and say this is a better version of the Eagles is outrageous and ignorant as far as I’m concerned. They can say they enjoyed the concert without the absurdity.
    Dreamer, I agree that the word 'truculent' was out of line but it was a heat of the moment comment. I realise how upset it made people. I can't take it back but I apologise for it. I was letting off steam. If I try & elaborate further on why I chose that particular word I will exacerbate the situation again. I have learned a valuable lesson. I see that more comments have been made about the photo elsewhere. I will not contribute.

I have not watched any new videos, even ones with Deacon singing, and won't. But I notice the tone of the board changing, with this situation becoming normalised, and more & more people accepting it as being the new normal.

So pushing back against it & raging at it seems more & more pointless. I guess that means that the voices of the dissenters will fade away. And perhaps that is what is the saddest part of all this.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-26-2018 at 08:24 PM.

This is a true story. The name has been changed to protect the guilty or the innocent, depending on your point of view. I'm in the former camp right now.

I have a friend, let's call him Bob. Bob is a fellow guitar player and I played in a group with his uncle. When I met him he was an older teen big into the kind of music I was. So I invited him to the house a few times to jam and try out gear he hadn't got yet. We had him up to play a couple of times and he was good.

Today he sends me this in a PM. "Guess what buddy, I've got tickets to see the Eagles tonight! I know you love them. I'm mostly excited for Vince Gill though, lol".

I wanted to reach through the computer screen and shake some sense into him. He's quite a few years younger than me but an adult now.

Now I have to wonder if he is just messing with me to get my goat, as if he somehow found out my distaste of this lineup, or if it was just a weird innocent coincidence. I'm going with the latter as I don't know how he would know about how I feel about them now, because this is the only place I share that info.

I mustered a "Have fun tonight. Congrats." I also said "I'm a diehard Glenn Frey fan but I always loved watching Joe, he's funny". Maybe he'll get the message. That was the best I could do. Buddy, if you want to see Vince Gill so dang much, you can see him solo, where he actually might shine. If you want to see the Eagles, see the freaking Eagles. Vince Gill ain't the Eagles, no matter what he might be doing right now. His voice doesn't fit and Walsh/Stu have the guitars.

He was never an Eagles fan the time I knew him, we only talk online occasionally at this point as we just drifted apart for no particular reason. Haven't seen him in a couple years. This didn't help matters much. He always tells me what he's doing that I might like, but never comments or likes or talks about what I've got going.

It just rubbed me wrong. Bad way to start a week. Ugh. Slap in the face.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I just want to reassure folks that I am 100% opposed to this venture and will never change my thoughts/feelings. I find it to be indefensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I just want to reassure folks that I am 100% opposed to this venture and will never change my thoughts/feelings. I find it to be indefensible.
    Amen.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."