Page 81 of 145 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FreyFollower - You expressed yourself beautifully in that last post.

Yep - sadness, disappointment, and betrayal are the words that I most often use to describe how I feel about this. Although, like Toni, I do have occasional spurts of anger, such as when I go over to the official website and when I see ignorant comments that the band is better without Glenn and, yep, Vince Gill solo songs. Fortunately though, the times of anger are short-lived. I come here and vent and usually get over it fairly soon. But the feelings of sadness, disappointment, and betrayal stay with me and get reinforced often. Hopefully, they will fade once the touring is over for good, but they are lingering. I'm not sure they'll ever go away completely, which saddens me even more because this may be my lasting memory of the band that I have loved and adored so much my entire adult life. Yep - I feel cheated and betrayed.
    Dreamer, thank you. I could not have said it better myself. I feel cheated, betrayed and disappointed. We will never see a concert for Glenn. Despite what they say, he has been replaced and is an after thought to them.

Border Desperado

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

We'll never know, but I have often wondered if he and Cindy ever talked about funeral plans maybe even years before Glenn passed. My husband and I would share with each other from time to time things we did and didn't want to happen. My opinion is that perhaps Glenn's bandmates would honor the wishes of the family. Unless someone on the inside issues a public statement, we will never know. It certainly would have been nice to have a public celebration of his life.

Yes, I understand and appreciate privacy concerns and would never want to disrespect the thoughts and feelings of Glenn or his family.

I am just a fan. No one special except maybe to Glenn Frey who I believe was inspired by the love and respect of everyone and anyone who ever came out to see the band or his solo performances.

All through his career Glenn never failed to express his appreciation for his extraordinary good fortune. Those who knew him best describe Glenn as hard working, laser focused, kind and generous, thoughtful of others and hilariously fun to be around. At his core, he was protective of his own and his family's privacy which I think is a wise and responsible attitude. His business acumen was a tremendous benefit to the Eagles band and brand. Tremendous.

A public celebration of Glenn's life and the songs and music he once sang and played for the enjoyment of millions would have been a very special way for fans to say thank you.

Just to and for Glenn.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Yes, I understand and appreciate privacy concerns and would never want to disrespect the thoughts and feelings of Glenn or his family.

I am just a fan. No one special except maybe to Glenn Frey who I believe was inspired by the love and respect of everyone and anyone who ever came out to see the band or his solo performances.

All through his career Glenn never failed to express his appreciation for his extraordinary good fortune. Those who knew him best describe Glenn as hard working, laser focused, kind and generous, thoughtful of others and hilariously fun to be around. At his core, he was protective of his own and his family's privacy which I think is a wise and responsible attitude. His business acumen was a tremendous benefit to the Eagles band and brand. Tremendous.

A public celebration of Glenn's life and the songs and music he once sang and played for the enjoyment of millions would have been a very special way for fans to say thank you.

Just to and for Glenn.
    I couldn't agree more.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

A public celebration of Glenn was what he deserved.

I daresay no one - certainly not his family! - would disagree with that. This is especially true if, as is usual for such things, the money goes to charity.

If it were true Glenn had specified before his death that he wanted no fanfare at all after he passed and that he had explicitly forbidden any events celebrating his life (unlikely), then they would not have held the first event which, though "invite only", was hardly a quiet and intimate affair done outside of the spotlight. They even talked to the press about it.

I think the reason the public tribute hasn't happened is pretty straightforward. There's no mystery here. It's the same reason most artists don't get a tribute concert.

No one connected with him has put forth the effort, time, and money to make it happen.

And if you want to make up a scenario in your head that lets the men who owed him the most off the hook for that, feel free... but I think you're going to have to do some straw-grasping.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

Just to and for Glenn.

Indeed. We were not talking about the actual funeral, which of course would have been private. All we wanted was a tribute show like Concert For George. We were apparently asking for too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    And if you want to make up a scenario in your head that lets the men who owed him the most off the hook for that, feel free... but I think you're going to have to do some straw-grasping.
    Indeed.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Desperado

In post #802, I expressed my thoughts and opinions in a respectful, non combative manner. I thought about what I was going to say before I posted. As I have stated in the past, once I express my thoughts that is all I have to say on the matter. I did not criticize anyone elses posts or suggest that they couldn't possibly be right or that I know better than anyone else what Glenn Frey might have wanted because I don't. If someone can provide me with concrete facts or proof that my opinions and thoughts in post #802 are totally out of the realm of possibility then please do. To me the only irrefutable fact here is that there was no public memorial to honor Glenn and all of his amazing contributions to music.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Talking Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A public celebration of Glenn was what he deserved.

I daresay no one - certainly not his family! - would disagree with that. This is especially true if, as is usual for such things, the money goes to charity.

If it were true Glenn had specified before his death that he wanted no fanfare at all after he passed and that he had explicitly forbidden any events celebrating his life (unlikely), then they would not have held the first event which, though "invite only", was hardly a quiet and intimate affair done outside of the spotlight. They even talked to the press about it.

I think the reason the public tribute hasn't happened is pretty straightforward. There's no mystery here. It's the same reason most artists don't get a tribute concert.

No one connected with him has put forth the effort, time, and money to make it happen.

I have to agree with Soda, but I am certainly not directing that last statement at anyone. I agree with it in general terms. Aside from being angry about no memorial for Glenn, the way that Don, Tim, Joe, and Irving have handled things in general since Glenn's death infuriates me at times. I think we can look back to the way Don publicly 'announced' that the band would participate in the West Classic festival to get a glimpse into where things would go from there. If you need your memory refreshed, someone asked Don if it were true, and Don's response was simply 'That's what they tell me". As I've said before, these men are not ignorant and they had to know that this would not be universally well-received, but apparently they didn't care what anyone thought. The insensitive way in which they have gone about this last year just totally blows my mind. It's just plain disrespectful not only to Glenn, but to many of their fans as well. So, no, I don't expect them to do a tribute when they can't even be bothered to dedicate a song to him in their shows at this point.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

WKMB55 , Of course it's possible. I was addressing the lack of a Glenn Frey Tribute/Celebration from my own perspective as a fan who would have appreciated the chance to honor Glenn and say thank you. My post was not directed at you.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016