Page 83 of 145 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I'm sad too that Tim and Joe have just decided to 'go along' and make tons of money. Especially Joe as others have said, because it seemed that he and Glenn were closer than the rest.

I don't know why the tribute that they did at The Forum couldn't have been a public, televised tribute. It was far from intimate being held at such a large venue. It would have been just the thing for all of us diehard fans.

Was Glenn just not well known enough? Really?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Dreamer, Soda, Groupie, FP, Chaim, Austin, Dawn and Brooke(hope I did not miss anyone) - I can't think of anything I can say that you have not said. Back In March 2017, my local(NY/NJ) Classic Rock Radio Station had an interview with Don, Tim and Joe after the Classic E/W was announced. Don and Tim could not stop gushing on and on about how Glenn would have wanted it. Joe - not so much. He sounded very hesitant and stammered on trying to back Don & Tim. It was not very positive in terms of his endorsement.
    I remember that interview with Tim in February 2017, and, I also remember stating then how utterly cold it sounded. I stated then how shocked I was.
    I think Joe just wants to keep the peace and play his music. Don and Tim are all about the money. I think Glenn always cared more about the legacy of the Eagles than Don. This, IMHO, proves that. They have become a tribute band. Very sad but true.

Border Desperado

Dawn, I was not offended in the least by what you said in your post. I did not think it was directed at me.

It is so frustrating because you can assign all the blame you want to Don, Joe, Tim, Irving, the back up band, the Frey family, good friends of Glenn, record producers, managers and so on and so on.......but in the end there hasn't to this date been a tribute.

I have to think that in addition to comments made in public forums and on Don, Joe and Tim's websites many fans have called, e mailed and maybe even written to management or band members expressing likes and dislikes about the decision to continue and wondering about a public memorial. I am sure the band and Irving are well aware.

I know it is probably the extreme situation but look how long it took for the Dan Fogleberg tribute CD.

Ironically, the Eagles were part of the reason the Dan Fogelberg Tribute album took as long as it did to be completed. See excerpt from rock cellar mag below,

Norbert Putnam: Joe Walsh produced “Part of the Plan,” which was the first big radio record that Dan had. So obviously he thought he should do that record and produce it. [Laughs] Unfortunately it was the Eagles and they were too busy to get it finished.

Jean Fogelberg: Getting the Eagles to do their vocals was the biggest challenge. They were on a world tour and Joe Walsh was taking the tape along with him. He’d already recorded the whole song. He’d be in London or Australia and he’d email us, saying “OK, I’ve got the tape, I’m gonna try and get the guys into the studio.” And they were just so busy, trying to get that. That was the last track that we were waiting on.

That being said, it did not take very long at all for friends of Tom Petty to organize two tribute concerts in his honor following his death in October 2017. IIRC the tribute concerts were in December 2017.

Dan's wife Jean spearheaded the tribute for Dan. It was truly a labor of love and I am very glad it was completed. I bought 3 (2 for holiday gifts and 1 for myself). IMHO it's a lovely CD and with proceeds being donated to help find a cure for the cancer that claimed Dan's life so very young, it is especially meaningful.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

I gotta add that I still have a soft spot for all those guys. I only mentioned Don earlier, because naturally he's criticised the most. I said Timothy has disappointed me the most, but that doesn't mean that I dislike him.

NKIT, I don't know them, but to me Joe seems the most emotional out of those three guys.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-30-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm sad too that Tim and Joe have just decided to 'go along' and make tons of money. Especially Joe as others have said, because it seemed that he and Glenn were closer than the rest.

I don't know why the tribute that they did at The Forum couldn't have been a public, televised tribute. It was far from intimate being held at such a large venue. It would have been just the thing for all of us diehard fans.

Was Glenn just not well known enough? Really?
    For us on this board, it may seem unthinkable, but perhaps the answer is no, he wasn't.

And perhaps that is another reason why his bandmates felt they could continue without him, as nobody knew who he was anyway.

People have talked about Tim's 'cold' interview. I agree with them. I would also remind you of an interview Joe did about rehearsals where all he could do was blurt out how 'great' they sounded. He repeated the word about five times. I said at the time it made him sound like Donald Trump. He was extremely inarticulate; perhaps there was some embarrassment there. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I gotta add that I still have a soft spot for all those guys. I only mentioned Don earlier, because naturally he's criticised the most. I said Timothy has disappointed me the most, but that doesn't mean that I dislike him.

NKIT, I don't know them, but to me Joe seems the most emotional out of those three guys.
    It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.
    Not that it changes anything, but I changed my post slightly after you quoted it. Me "liking" Timothy wasn't an accurate statement, because me feelings about him have always been neutral - not a fan, but not a "hater" either. It's more accurate to say that I still don't dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For us on this board, it may seem unthinkable, but perhaps the answer is no, he wasn't.

And perhaps that is another reason why his bandmates felt they could continue without him, as nobody knew who he was anyway.
    We gotta understand that maybe more than 80% of a crowd in a huge and well known band like the Eagles are of casual or non-fans, you know, ppl who are only there to acoompany a relative or friend, or in group of friends, ppl that only know Hotel California... and so on...
    They don't know the name of the band members, they don't care. They only recognize Henley's voice cos they know HC. Maybe some of these recognize Frey's voice and will notice he's not there on stage, maybe not.

You think everybody knows all the songs and sing along and know the members like we do, but they don't, unfortunately. For most people, Henley is the key member of the Eagles. Hell, I think even for Glenn he was.
    So... who was Glenn, anyway?
    We see so many ppl talking abt the band online like we do and maybe that can deceive us, but what is the % of fans like us in a concert? Less than 5% I'd say. And they know that... that's why they'll keep going on.
    By *they I mean the band... Henley an co.
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."

Quote Originally Posted by luciknight View Post
    You think everybody knows all the songs and sing along and know the members like we do, but they don't, unfortunately. For most people, Henley is the key member of the Eagles. Hell, I think even for Glenn he was.
    So... who was Glenn, anyway?
    I completely disagree. I doubt that Don was the key member for Glenn IMO. He liked his vocals better than his own maybe but when push came to shove it was Glenn making the calls. Even Don would say "it's Glenn's band and he's the leader". They might have been co-leaders but when it came down to it, it was GF.

I also disagree with anyone that thinks DH was the key member. For me I prefer Glenn wholeheartedly and I've over time liked Glenn's voice better than Don's. For me it always bothered me when people in concert clapped loudly for Don but not as loud for Glenn. Without Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't be here.

I don't feel I need to explain "who Glenn was" any further than what's been said by myself and others.

Just my feelings on the subject...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."