Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
These are just preliminary legal pleadings. Of course the defendants will say they didn't do it and that the plaintiff's "injuries" (different legal meaning that what we think of as injuries) are a result of the plaintiff's own actions. That type of language is in every response filed in every civil lawsuit. But yes, Glenn had injury to his organs, for sure. Caused by disease? Probably. Whose fault? Hopefully nobody's.

Hopefully this is settled very soon. No way should it proceed to discovery of medical records and depositions, that is when the details come out and nobody needs that. But, for Cindy to have filed this and subjected her family and Glenn's memory to the public scrutiny of such private matters, she must be getting advice from good lawyers that she has a STRONG case... I really hope she doesn't and this goes away quickly. I don't think she needs the money, I think it is a moral/ethical thing, so she could take it all the way to trial...
I was going to say something similar and you beat me to it, MC! The legal papers are scanned and available to the public to read on the New York County court website. (New York requires electronic filing, so this is done for all cases now). I read them and it is the standard response filed in every lawsuit. As for the claims of "culpable conduct," this is a standard defense. If they took this further, I expect it would be something like, Glenn had pre-existing medical conditions and was already on medication that weakened his immune system, he assumed the risk of such treatment. But at this early stage, it's hard to say if they're going in that direction.

The hospital/doctor have already filed a request for discovery (meaning they are asking for more information from Cindy - this is the next step in a lawsuit) and a notice to depose her. I expect that Cindy's attorney will file the same against the defendants soon.

I also hope this settles soon. If it proceeded to discovery and motions, the details of Glenn's illness and medical conditions would be available for the world to see. That feels like such an invasion of privacy. This could get quite ugly.