Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Sues for wrongful death

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Sues for wrongful death

Based on the previous conversation in this thread, the way I understand the issue is that Cindy has asked that if she produces the financial records that the court orders them sealed and not made public.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Based on the previous conversation in this thread, the way I understand the issue is that Cindy has asked that if she produces the financial records that the court orders them sealed and not made public.
    I think that is the issue - the chance of that info going public. It is none of our business, IMO. And it might only fuel those who didn't like Glenn or thought he was too greedy (Felder, for one) to say something about it.

I still say it's Cindy's right to decide who gets that information. And perhaps they do want to see it, but she should be able to set the terms on who gets to see it. I'm sure the doctor's lawyers would say they have a right to see it, but I side with Cindy. As far as their worry of her pulling a number out of the air - I don't think she would do that, and honestly I think she's entitled to the $ after what happened to Glenn. I do believe, after my research, that medical negligence lead to his death, or was at least a major factor. Their saying it was his choices and actions (like continuing to tour, etc) that caused it really, really bothers me. The whole "conduct" comment from the doctor bothers me even more.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Won't it help them more accurately estimate what he could have theoretically earned in a future tour, and thus help them come to a fair figure when reaching a settlement? Does she really expect them to just take her word for it when it comes to his potential earnings? My default position is to support her choices but I must admit, I am confused by this.
    Her decision not to provide it confuses me as well. Basically they are saying that if she is claiming lost future earnings, they want proof of how much that would have been, likely for the purpose of reaching a settlement. It said she (or rather her lawyer) didn't give a reason for not providing the documents, so it really makes no sense to me.

Out on the Border

As Eagles manager, shouldn't Irving Azoff be the one to provide Eagles potential/future earnings details to the court. The Doctor isn't personally liable, his insurance company is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    She asked, but her request was denied months ago.

Thus, she has to produce them without that guarantee.

The judge did say he would consider partially sealing documents on a case-by-case basis, but he can't make that decision until he sees them, and apparently she hasn't provided what's been requested.

If there is something in those documents that is so potentially damaging to the Freys that she would rather jeopardize this case than have the public see them, it must be something pretty dang bad! Shoot! What the heck could it be?? I respect the desire for privacy and I think the judge should have allowed her to keep the documents confidential, but that ship has sailed. Surely whatever it is can't be THAT bad!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

After seeing this case go for a while, I have to say that my news nose doesn't like what it smells where Cindy's refusal to produce financial documents is concerned. After nearly a quarter of a century in a daily newspaper's newsroom, I have seen over and over again that when someone stonewalls like this, they're almost always hiding something. I know nothing of the family's financial circumstances, or Glenn's arrangements for the kids, or whatever. But I have a feeling (and that's all it is), the records would show something Cindy doesn't want a judge to see. And in a case like this, that almost always means if he did see it, he'd dismiss the case, or she'd be forced to settle for much less than she originally asked for.

Chronic, serious illness has been the cause of many an estrangement for married couples. If there was such an estrangement, then Glenn may well have left the majority of his estate to his children, and Cindy with an allowance, or some similar situation. Again: I don't know. And it may be that, if the judge saw such an arrangement was made while Glenn was well enough to do it, that he might decide to dismiss the case or something. I'm not casting aspersions on Cindy. I'm simply going on long experience with people who hide things like that. It's rarely good. And the smart money is on something that wouldn't reflect well on Cindy. It's just an opinion, and I'm no lawyer. And I know my opinion is less than worthless to the people involved in this situation. But there it is.

Just my opinion, but maybe she is trying to honor Glenn's privacy that the Eagles cherished and protected. I mean his illness was kept as private as possible as well. I can see where she would be torn between honoring Glenn's privacy, and trying to prove wrongful death. Can't be easy for her either way.

I read in numerous sources that Glenn left everything to Cindy. Presumably partly to let her deal with the complicated issues of dispersal. I would go with privacy issues. But whatever said papers would reveal, it would have no bearing on the legitimacy of her case of how she feels they treated Glenn. And since this has to do with missed future earnings, they need to look at what the guys are making now, with Vegas, etc. All of the sudden, classic acts that remain seem to be doing much better than just a few years ago. But they still will need past records to complete the report.

Besides feeling it is not the public's business, I can't imagine what could be bad in a financial report. Questionable investments? More money than reported to the IRS? I mean, wouldn't prior income tax filings give a close enough picture of his average earnings, anyway?

What about Glenn's (and the family's) "pain and suffering"? They would seem to be entitled to that if the doctor/hospital are found negligent, no matter what the potential earnings would be.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    What about Glenn's (and the family's) "pain and suffering"? They would seem to be entitled to that if the doctor/hospital are found negligent, no matter what the potential earnings would be.
    That's what is curious to me as well. Where is the "pain and suffering" request? The whole family should be entitled to this. My only thought (again, not a lawyer, just an observer) is that once this lawsuit is settled, there's a separate one for that (depending on the outcome of the first). But, that doesn't make sense to me, either. Usually a lawsuit settles the matter entirely (unless a completely different party is involved, but I would think the kids would be part of this one).

There's a piece missing from this whole thing that Cindy has, and she doesn't want to show her cards.

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    That's what is curious to me as well. Where is the "pain and suffering" request? The whole family should be entitled to this. My only thought (again, not a lawyer, just an observer) is that once this lawsuit is settled, there's a separate one for that (depending on the outcome of the first). But, that doesn't make sense to me, either. Usually a lawsuit settles the matter entirely (unless a completely different party is involved, but I would think the kids would be part of this one).

There's a piece missing from this whole thing that Cindy has, and she doesn't want to show her cards.
    I believe she asked for pain and suffering as well. It would all be part of the same lawsuit. There must be more to this than we know; it makes logical sense that if she wants damages for lost profits, she should submit evidence of what that amount would have been.