Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sues for wrongful death

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Sues for wrongful death

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Mount Sinai Hospital and Dr. Steven Itzkowitz claim that “the injuries of the plaintiff were caused in whole or in part by the culpable conduct of the plaintiff.”

This appears to be claiming that what happened to Glenn was his own FAULT.

For a start, he did not have 'injuries'. He had a disease.No mattter what his lifestyle may have been he did not choose to get UC, RA & then pneumonia & die.

While I don't believe this lawsuit will succeed, I find this statement extremely hurtful & I cannot understand the reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Dr. Steven Itzkowitz claim that “the injuries of the plaintiff were caused in whole or in part by the culpable conduct of the plaintiff.”
    What the freak is that supposed to mean??

Please don't let this lawsuit get ugly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Mount Sinai Hospital and Dr. Steven Itzkowitz claim that “the injuries of the plaintiff were caused in whole or in part by the culpable conduct of the plaintiff.”

For a start, he did not have 'injuries'. He had a disease.No mattter what his lifestyle may have been he did not choose to get UC, RA & then pneumonia & die.

While I don't believe this lawsuit will succeed, I find this statement extremely hurtful & I cannot understand the reasoning behind it.

This is the typical response from a hospital/doctor in a lawsuit. These law suits are very difficult to prove and win. And, they also drag on forever. The average time before a settlement can be 3-5 years depending on the state. They can get very ugly. You are talking about the reputation of a doctor and a hospital.
    I can't imagine Glenn doing something that caused his death.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    This is the typical response from a hospital/doctor in a lawsuit. These law suits are very difficult to prove and win. And, they also drag on forever. The average time before a settlement can be 3-5 years depending on the state. They can get very ugly. You are talking about the reputation of a doctor and a hospital.
    I can't imagine Glenn doing something that caused his death.
    Of course he didn't.

If this is the 'typical response' I' think I would prefer it if they actually tried to defend their reputation rather than blame the 'plaintiff' (there's that word... funny that it is now being used like this) for what happened to him.

I understand that they want to play hardball after what the lawsuit has alleged. But I don't think this is the way they should do it.

I’m sorry to say, FP. They are trying everything to win this case. Of course they are going to blame Glenn’s past for what happened. They are very heartless, but that’s any hospital being sued. They don’t want to lose this case.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I look up the word culpable and they are basically saying it’s Glenn’s fault for his “injuries”.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

lUnfortunately, it is probably inevitable that this will get ugly. There is no way that the defendants are going to admit culpability. I just hope that they can settle it before it gets real nasty. But, obviously, we don't know the facts of the case so it's impossible to predict the outcome at this point.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

These are just preliminary legal pleadings. Of course the defendants will say they didn't do it and that the plaintiff's "injuries" (different legal meaning that what we think of as injuries) are a result of the plaintiff's own actions. That type of language is in every response filed in every civil lawsuit. But yes, Glenn had injury to his organs, for sure. Caused by disease? Probably. Whose fault? Hopefully nobody's.

Hopefully this is settled very soon. No way should it proceed to discovery of medical records and depositions, that is when the details come out and nobody needs that. But, for Cindy to have filed this and subjected her family and Glenn's memory to the public scrutiny of such private matters, she must be getting advice from good lawyers that she has a STRONG case... I really hope she doesn't and this goes away quickly. I don't think she needs the money, I think it is a moral/ethical thing, so she could take it all the way to trial...

Border Desperado

Basically they're claiming that he should have taken better care of himself?

It will get ugly. Someone very close to me died as the result of a surgical mistake. When a lawsuit was filed, the argument of the surgeon and the hospital was (a) the patient signed consent forms which clearly stated all the risks and (b) the patient had stage IV cancer and there was no way to predict how long they might have lived with or without the surgery so assigning a monetary award would be nearly impossible.

After that experience, nothing that is said by the Dr's or hospital in the Frey case will surprise me.

After my friend's father died because a well known and respected hospital here in my city mistook the blood type of the blood bags he had to take, cos he had a heart surgery, and nothing, absolutely nothing, happened to the hospital... I believe in some kind of hospital mafia or something.
    They'll never be guilty.

But well, this is Glenn Frey we're talking about, so... let's see.
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."