Thread: Songs with potential that wasn’t achieved

Default Songs with potential that wasn’t achieved

There are obviously songs that everyone loves, some that most like and some that only a few like. What are some songs that had potential in your moment that wasn’t achieved? I find The Last Resort, You Never Cried Like A Lover, and Too Many Hands as underachieving songs. I like the lyrics and story of the last resort but the music is lacking until the end in my opinion (though I understand the music isn’t meant to be in your face or excitint), YNCLAL I feel has really subpar verses but the second half is much better with the “broken down carousel” line, the harmonies and the solo. I think Too Many Hands has a great riff, good solos and some good high harmony but I don’t care for the lyrics something about “ too Many Hands” as a song title just isn’t that appealing. What are songs you like but think it missed out on an opportunity

Default Re: Songs with potential that wasn’t achieved

What Do I Do With My Heart
    Love this song soooooo much

Another one is You Never Cry Like a Lover
    The lyrics of this one are exquisite

I really like "Most of Us Are Sad" overall, but it's very underrated. I believe it would get more love with a better title / opening line. The title makes people think the song is going to be really simplistic and generic right out of the box when it's got a lot more going for it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by LovinGlennGirl View Post
    What Do I Do With My Heart
    Love this song soooooo much

Another one is You Never Cry Like a Lover
    The lyrics of this one are exquisite
    What is the missing potential of these songs? You say you love them but you don't say what else could have been done to make them better.

Mine probably won't be popular... Teenage Jail.

They could have stretched it out & actually made it an interesting story about the kid instead of just having him sullenly staring out the window. If they'd added a verse to explain the way he feels or what he's doing, ditched the totally gratuitous Henley section (or written more interesting words if it HAD to be there) and lengthened the solo, made it slightly more melodic, then done more with the last verse than just repeating 'you're not like, etc etc and then ending with the totally unsatisfactory 'get something good for yourself' perhaps it could have been a decent song.

(If I may I will mention one non Eagles song which absolutely needed another verse to finish the story because we never find out what happened after the woman tricks her husband - Babooshka by Kate Bush. It's very frustrating because you wonder how it turned out).

[QUOTE=Freypower;371028]What is the missing potential of these songs? You say you love them but you don't say what else could have been done to make them better.

FP-you are exactly right, I misread the question trying to multitask. I mistakenly thought it said songs that missed the opportunity to be mega hits. I do love these songs just as they are. Nothing hidden about it. Thanks for catching my booboo.

Now I will have to think of my real answer.