Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about Don’s... “incident...” in 1980?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Can we talk about Don’s... “incident...” in 1980?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    People, I cannot stress enough...

Don't believe something just because you read it on the internet.

NKIT, you are repeating unsubstantiated gossip as if it were established fact.

Everything in my post can be fact-checked via newspapers and interviews. Nothing on that "gossip site" can be verified, not even the identity of the girl.

It's important to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources, which is why this post exists.

No Soda, I am not. I was merely stating what was discussed in another thread regarding this. Dreamer asked if one of the girls later died of an overdose, which I confirmed. I then said the information came from a gossip site(which I had never heard of). I never indicated it was fact. I know that whole story and know what you posted is fact. The fact that it came from a gossip site should make people skeptical. I said in the other thread that I believed there was no truth to it and believed it was politically motivated. Perhaps I should have said that here. I hope this clears things up.

Border Rebel

Soda, thank you for the concise summary. It's good to have the known facts all together in black and white. I wasn't aware of a couple of the details before you posted this.

15 and 16 are so young. That part of it really makes me sick. I guess it's conceivable that a girl that age could look 18, but probably no one was looking too hard, and the drugs being passed around didn't help matters, either.

Was anyone else charged in this matter? It seems to me that if Don was telling the truth and he didn't have sex with the girl (which the authorities could most likely have verified), and the girls were partying with other guests, there is (at least in my mind) some indication that others should have shared liability for what happened. Also, what about the "house of ill repute"? Wouldn't the primary responsibility of making sure that the girls were of age fall on them?

To me, this is very different from #metoo. It's (as far as we know) an isolated incident that happened almost 40 years ago. It is NOT underage girls suddenly coming out of the woodwork and stating that they were molested by Don.

Don went to court for the incident, was sentenced, and complied with that sentence. Anything else is hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    No Soda, I am not. I was merely stating what was discussed in another thread regarding this. Dreamer asked if one of the girls later died of an overdose, which I confirmed. I then said the information came from a gossip site(which I had never heard of). I never indicated it was fact. I know that whole story and know what you posted is fact. The fact that it came from a gossip site should make people skeptical. I said in the other tghread that I believed there was no truth to it and believed it was politically motivated. Perhaps I should have said that here. I hope this clears things up.
    Hi NKIT!

I remember that thread and frankly after reading this article in Vanity Fair, I have decided it is quite possible we have not heard the last from this particular "blind item" gossip site. Here's why (per the article Crazy Days & Nights is all about the reveal). My underscore.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...enty-interview
    Last edited by Dawn; 02-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Everything in my post can be fact-checked via newspapers and interviews. Nothing on that "gossip site" can be verified, not even the identity of the girl.

It's important to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources, which is why this post exists.
    Thank you, Soda.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Also, what about the "house of ill repute"? Wouldn't the primary responsibility of making sure that the girls were of age fall on them?
    High-priced madams will provide whatever the client requests. It’s good business and they want return customers.

I agree this is not a #metoo issue. I’d rather not say more b/c I’m reluctant to engage in idle gossip.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

While I absolutely agree it is important ... the reality of "fake news" being used by the mainstream print, electronic and broadcast media to further self-serving agendas makes that process extremely difficult.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

High-priced madams will provide whatever the client requests. It’s good business and they want return customers.
    I realize that it's good business but it's different when they're providing girls below the legal age. It's illegal, not to mention immoral. IMHO, they should be held accountable when they break that law. (Completely aside from the issue of the legality of prostitution itself.)

Quote Originally Posted by hellhathfrozenover View Post
    Hi all,

Long-time reader, first-time poster!

I’m 25, and had always heard rumblings about Don Henley and an underage girl who overdosed. I’d always assumed he had a party and someone had her over because that’s what I’d heard.

Well, I recently bought tickets to their AT&T Park show in September and I’ve been listening to them a lot again. (I actually joined the forum to reminisce about the HFO record, but never got around to it.) The underage prostitute incident came up on Don’s wikipedia page and I decided to do some investigating.

It’s not looking like there was a party. It looks like it was just him and an underaged prostitute.

Honestly, I don’t know what I should do with my tickets. I love The Eags, as David Spade calls them, but I can’t go to a concert where a(n alleged) pederast is on stage.

What are your guys’ thoughts on this whole thing? Am I missing a part of the story? What do we do with Don in the era of #metoo?

I don’t wanna give up the Eags
    I'll join in with what soda and others have said here, but I also want to say that, whatever your opinion is of Don Henley, I hope you don't let it tarnish your opinion of the Eagles and their music. You can still enjoy the music, regardless of what he has done or hasn't done in his personal life.

I don't know how to quote more than one person, but to respond to maryc3120, I wouldn't be surprised if other people were charged as well. The "madam," the other party guests, whoever actually gave the girl the drugs, would, in my opinion, need to be charged too. We just know about Henley because he's a celebrity.

maryc, I do not know whether or not others were charged, but it was Don Henley's home. If the drugs were found on the premises, then he would be the one held accountable. Anyone else would have had to have literally been holding drugs on their person in order to be arrested for possession.

The same is true for the young women; he is the one who paid the madam for their services. Unless there were guys still hanging around and the girl pointed at them and said, "He slept with me," no others could be charged. It's not like names and numbers were exchanged.

I suppose they could have mounted a full scale investigation and tried to track down everyone who had been at the party, then line them up and ask the girls to identify all the men they remember sleeping with, all the ones who'd passed them drugs, but prosecuting that in court would be a nightmare. I think they stopped after they arrested Don because he was the only one they could prove was in possession of drugs and had hired an underage prostitute, albeit unwittingly. Of course, the girls and the madam herself would be dealt with separately.

As to whether there is "more to it", I will not speculate without proof. That "blind item" is not good enough for me. It has absolutely no evidence.

Dawn is right that even the mainstream media seems to care about evidence less and less.

That doesn't mean we should stop requiring evidence before making our judgments... not if we want to be critical thinkers. More importantly, not if we want to be fair.

Until I get some evidence to the contrary - REAL evidence, not internet conspiracy theory crap - I presume innocence.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    No Soda, I am not. I was merely stating what was discussed in another thread regarding this. Dreamer asked if one of the girls later died of an overdose, which I confirmed. I then said the information came from a gossip site(which I had never heard of). I never indicated it was fact. I know that whole story and know what you posted is fact. The fact that it came from a gossip site should make people skeptical. I said in the other thread that I believed there was no truth to it and believed it was politically motivated. Perhaps I should have said that here. I hope this clears things up.
    Thanks NKIT - That was the way I interpreted your response. When I asked the question, I didn't remember that the source was that gossip site, otherwise, I would not have even mentioned it and why I answered you back the way I did. I also agree that the claims on that site are unreliable and unsubstatiated and should not be accepted as fact unless credible evidence proves otherwise.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I’m directly neutral on the topic, I agree with dreamer and soda about waiting for credible facts when discussing this. I do know that the original source mentioned that Don will be enjoying his next thanksgiving in prison. I think they in other parts hinted at this person coming out with her story with photographic proof. Obviously this is a gossip site so anything they say shouldn’t be taken that seriously. My point is just that we Should find out this year if they were serious or if this was a hoax.