Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    That wasn't an attempt to defend or criticise anyone, but an attempt at an objective description of the situation.

In general, I am saying that it looks to me as if some people have given in to hate, and of course I don't expect them to be happy with this characterisation or accept it in any way.
    Have I "given in to hate" when I make an occasional disapproving comment here and there? And therefore do I fit in your characterisation? Just curious where you see the line.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Have I "given in to hate" when I make an occasional disapproving comment here and there? And therefore do I fit in your characterisation? Just curious where you see the line.
    I'm not sure that there is a 'line', and wouldn't put myself in the position of judging who has crossed it.

But, it's not an 'occasional disapproving comment here and there' that I'm talking about. It's far more than that.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not sure that there is a 'line', and wouldn't put myself in the position of judging who has crossed it.

But, it's not an 'occasional disapproving comment here and there' that I'm talking about. It's far more than that.
    No, you're not in the position. Just asked where you see it.

Stuck on the Border

Now that we've established and covered the "given in to hate" category and proclaimed that certain people belong there I guess it's only fair to discuss the "anything goes/blind adulation" category next, if there is one.

Your initial instincts were right about Annoying Twit, chaim. Annoying Twit has pulled this kind of thing before.

Here's what should happen:

Group 1: "It upsets me when you call me a hater."

Group 2: "OK. I won't do that anymore."

And we move on.

But that wouldn't be any fun, would it, AT?

Annoying Twit only comes "out to play" when there's a fight, and loves to keep it going; he'll take you around and around and around, typically by asking disingenuous questions and bloviating, just for the sake of it. I find that type of behavior far more troubling than anything you, I, or anyone else on either side with genuine feelings has displayed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Now that we've established and covered the "given in to hate" category and proclaimed that certain people belong there I guess it's only fair to discuss the "anything goes/blind adulation" category next, if there is one.
    I have no objection if anyone asks that question either explicitly or ambiguously aimed at me. And I'd just answer it calmly. E.g.

A good question to ask to establish whether people are in that position is: what would be acceptable?

E.g. if we had a Guess Who situation and Don Felder somehow obtain legal ownership of the Eagles name and put a band together and toured, then I'd strongly object to that.

E.g. if we had a 10CC situation and Don H put together a brand new band including all new musicians and toured as Eagles, then I would be unimpressed by that.

Hence, I don't think that 'anything goes' as I can describe some plausible eventualities that I wouldn't like.

I do think that the current situation with Don H, Tim, Joe, Deacon and Vince does 'go', and is a bonus compared to having no Eagles at all after Glenn's passing. I don't personally think that means that I will accept anything no matter what, nor that I'm blind in my adulation. I was concerned before the first concert whether Deacon could provide the goods after seeing the odd youtube video. But, I was conclusively proved wrong and I was happy to be proved so. However, that wasn't just me accepting anything. If Deacon had been an embarrassment or if Vince hadn't fitted in, I believe I would have recognised that and said so.

Stuck on the Border

I have no objection if anyone asks that question either explicitly or ambiguously aimed at me. And I'd just answer it calmly. E.g.

A good question to ask to establish whether people are in that position is: what would be acceptable?

E.g. if we had a Guess Who situation and Don Felder somehow obtain legal ownership of the Eagles name and put a band together and toured, then I'd strongly object to that.

E.g. if we had a 10CC situation and Don H put together a brand new band including all new musicians and toured as Eagles, then I would be unimpressed by that.

Hence, I don't think that 'anything goes' as I can describe some plausible eventualities that I wouldn't like.

I do think that the current situation with Don H, Tim, Joe, Deacon and Vince does 'go', and is a bonus compared to having no Eagles at all after Glenn's passing. I don't personally think that means that I will accept anything no matter what, nor that I'm blind in my adulation. I was concerned before the first concert whether Deacon could provide the goods after seeing the odd youtube video. But, I was conclusively proved wrong and I was happy to be proved so. However, that wasn't just me accepting anything. If Deacon had been an embarrassment or if Vince hadn't fitted in, I believe I would have recognised that and said so.
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply. For the most part I don't have a clue what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx
    I take stuff seriously and I do get hurt when I see negative stuff especially I'm part of that group. That's just me and I've been like that all my life. Maybe I need to stop listening or read negative stuff and not let stuff gets to me. Yes I should stay out of the negative thread, but its hard not to read when you have to click on it to say you read the thread so you will know when a new reply has been posted in another thread. I try to stay out of these arguments which IMO never stops. Anything new that pops up will always be talked down and that's why these arguments keep popping up.
    I do think you need to stop reading the two negative threads if they are so upsetting to you. It actually seems to me that if you stop reading those threads, most of your anxiety will go away because you won't be subjected to all the negativity that is causing you so much distress. Just scroll past the two negative/controversial threads to see new replies elsewhere. I strongly urge you to try it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Here's a suggestion. Perhaps we could all try to be a little nicer and try to find common ground rather than fighting. Rather than classifying people as "for" or "against" recognise them as individuals with opinions that fall somewhere on the scale between strongly for and strongly against but with whom we share a love of the music.

Today, my yoga class ended with encouragement to "let go that which no longer serves".

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. For the most part I don't have a clue what you're saying.
    TL;DR:

There are some situations that I would strongly dislike, and some that I would find unacceptable.

Hence, I don't think I just accept everything blindly. But, I find the current Eagles and their activities since touring started not just acceptable, but a good thing.

EDIT: I do think that it is worthwhile to discuss this, so I am happy to discuss my own viewpoint and accept critiques of it.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 03-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.