Page 43 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's a suggestion. Perhaps we could all try to be a little nicer and try to find common ground rather than fighting. Rather than classifying people as "for" or "against" recognise them as individuals with opinions that fall somewhere on the scale between strongly for and strongly against but with whom we share a love of the music.
    Sounds like a plan. Let me clarify a few things along those lines, for the record:

1. Do I recognize that Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit are talented men with a great deal to offer despite my loss of respect for them for engaging in this venture, which I am strongly against?

Yes.

2. Do I violently hate them, rejoicing when they are in pain?

No... and if your life experiences lead you to believe that it's commonplace for people to relish the pain and suffering of those who disappoint them, then you need to associate with different people.

3. Do I think anyone who supports the group calling themselves the Eagles, regardless of degree, is a bad person?

No. Several people I call my friends are going to shows.

4. Do I recognize that they have a right to their opinion?

Yes.

5. Do I react badly to getting labeled, judged, and harangued for my opinion?

Yes.

6. Am I willing to recognize that people get heated and let it go when things settle down?

Yes.

I'm ready for things to settle down.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

There are people who I like and respect who are strongly against this version and there are people I like and respect who are enthusiastic about it. I don't like feeling I'm expected to pick a side.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    As for why the emotion needs to be express. I wouldn't say 'needs', but it is reasonable that if people are part of a community and that they are unhappy with what is happening in that community, that they can express and discuss these opinions.
    I would definitely say need. We are very much entitled to that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Let me clarify a few things along those lines, for the record:

Do I recognize that Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit are talented men with a great deal to offer despite my loss of respect for them for engaging in this venture, which I am strongly against?

Yes.

Do I violently hate them, rejoicing when they are in pain?

No... and if your life experiences lead you to believe that it's commonplace for people to relish the pain and suffering of those who disappoint them, then you need to associate with different people.

Do I think anyone who supports the group calling themselves the Eagles, regardless of degree, is a bad person?

No. Several people I call my friends are going to shows.

Do I recognize that they have a right to their opinion?

Yes.

Do I react badly to getting labeled, judged, and harangued for my opinion?

Yes.

Am I willing to recognize that people get heated and let it go when things settle down?

Yes.

I'm ready for things to settle down.

I think this was a good post soda. Thank you for making a good post in a time where I have made a mess of the thread

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I'm not denying that I said what I said, but I didn't use the word ending in 'r'. I was very careful not to.
    What a pointless exercise in semantics. Actually, 'given in to hate' is possibly an even stronger condemnation.

I'm sorry, Soda, but I had to respond to that.

Border Desperado

well, that blew up into an EF4 .. aimed at a misidentified target to boot .. over use of the word that defines the very behavior it was used to describe:
    “to feel intense or passionate dislike for a specified person or thing”

it is what it is

@youngeaglesfan — I truly regret you bore the brunt of that EF4 simply for agreeing with the statement that I made. You got marched out to face the
    firing squad and did nothing to deserve it.

Let go of the animosity and let the love of this remarkable band be what
    shines thru.

Travellin’ on . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post
    well, that blew up into an EF4 .. aimed at a misidentified target to boot .. over use of the word that defines the very behavior it was used to describe:

it is what it is

@youngeaglesfan — I truly regret you bore the brunt of that EF4 simply for agreeing with the statement that I made. You got marched out to face the

shines thru.

Travellin’ on . . .
    While I understand the urge to justify yourself, it's unfortunate that you waited until after things were dying down to do it. I hope this doesn't rile things up again.

I'll just say that speaking for myself, I think your term literally applies to how I feel about this venture. I really do intensely dislike it! Indeed, I think you could argue that my emotions are strong enough to be classified as "hate" when directed towards the choice that they made. Literally, I hate that they did this.

However, I think you'll agree that the connotation of the word... the informal meaning that goes beyond the literal... is a bit worse than just someone who hates something.

The connotation is that the person who is a "hater" is a rather unpleasant person. It's personal criticism. Wouldn't you agree with that?

Maybe you don't agree with it. Maybe you don't think it would be an insult to be called a "hater." Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, I do ask you to consider the following:

You know, at this point, that the group you are describing finds it insulting. You have two choices:

1. Continue to insist that it's OK to call them that, despite their feelings.

2. Respect their feelings.

I say Option 2 is the better choice.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post

it is what it is

shines thru.

Travellin’ on . . .
    Indeed.

For many of us, the word “hate(r)” has a strong negative connotation that we find highly objectionable. It was even used in an above comment with the adverb “violently.” But the word as it is often used today has been so casually thrown about, even in most trivial of situations, that it has lost the intensity of meaning depending on the context. Younger people, e.g. millennials use it in memes, gifs, T-shirt’s, etc. (“haters gonna hate”). Taylor Swift even uses the word multiple times in one of her catchiest, most infectious pop songs. The word “Nazi” also has a strong, highly distasteful association for many, yet it too has become one of today’s colloquialisms (soup Nazi, grammar Nazi, etc).

So when YEF says that he doesn’t find the word highly offensive, I believe him. It appears some of the indignation over the use of the word arises from a generational gap in understanding how it is meant. Surely no one actually thinks YEF sees some objectors as wearing white robes and burning crosses on Don Henley’s front lawn (?!) but that seems to be how it was taken.

Another thing is that YEF clearly said he was using the word to apply to some posters, not everyone who objects to the current line-up. As someone astutely pointed out, the like or dislike for what is happening with the band varies; there are those who strongly oppose the Eagles continuing on without Glenn, but they have accepted it and tolerate it and seldom post. Others may comment on occasion to address a specific issue. Still others criticize and lament but do so in a way that is not overly hostile or angry. A very, very small percentage seem to go out of their way to be as cynical and negative about every aspect of the new line-up as possible. It’s understandable why someone, esp. a younger person accustomed to commonly used online expressions, would be inspired to use the word when addressing some of the posts of the latter group, which have been collecting and gathering for some time now (something that it appears AT was addressing).

I do not wish to offend anyone with what I am saying and am not trying to stir the pot. But I feel badly for what happened to YEF, who did apologize and tried to explain (and pointed out that he too, was called an objectionable name).
    Last edited by Delilah; 03-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

In the context of how and why the term was being used it is very clear the intent was to devalue the opinions of persons who do not support the current lineup.

But I will agree "it is what it is" -

An epic fail.

Fans who believe without Glenn Frey this is not a legitimate venture do exist and efforts to invalidate their thoughts/feelings and opinions by branding them as Haters is offensive and has been met with strong opposition. As it should be.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-18-2018 at 12:20 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Delilah expressed my feelings on what happened better than I could have, and I appreciate that. Although I meant no harm, I was too broad and I didn’t use a more thougtful word. “Haters” is a word I feel applies to a very, very, select few but even then I need would have needed to be specific to avoid people like those who felt anger about being labeled that word. But that isn’t really important because I should have used a more accurate and less demeaning word.