Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I agree he that Felder is not on the same level as Glenn. I'm just stating that there are many who feel strongly that without Felder there is no Eagles. I disagree with that as well.
    I disagree with those who say there's no Eagles without Felder (There was one even before he joined.) I agree with those who say there's no Eagles without Glenn Frey. Different people see things differently.

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Glenn Frey was in a class all his own.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Glenn Frey was in a class all his own.
    Want to put this on a shirt.
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luciknight View Post
    Want to put this on a shirt.
    Me too!

Banned

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And now we are seeing praise of Gill's performance of TITTL.

Oh, the irony. The song which some just would not leave alone, in the way they criticised Glenn's performance of it.
    I suppose you mean me, since I mentioned that I loved Vince's version of the song in the concert thread. How passive-aggressive of you! I don't remember ever criticizing Glenn Frey for singing that song but since you mention it, Vince Gill does have the ability to sing really high and Glenn Frey did not. I loved him and his songs, but a high tenor he was not.

I agree he that Felder is not on the same level as Glenn. I'm just stating that there are many who feel strongly that without Felder there is no Eagles. I disagree with that as well.
    You don't think they're on the same level. We agree there. However, to you, they still both fall into the category of "replaceable."

That's where we disagree. I believe one falls into that category, and one doesn't.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The Beatles had already broken up before John Lennon was killed and they had no plans to get back together. In the case of the Eagles, they were still together as that group with apparent plans to continue as Glenn mentioned to Bernie at the end of the HOTE tour, "This isn't the end." Were the Beatles still together at John's death, maybe something different would have happened.
    I disagree. The Beatles felt strongly that there was no band without John Lennon.

I do think the Eagles weren't the same without Felder. Seeing Joe do the end of Hotel California with Steuart isn't the same. But to equate Glenn with Felder and the other band members who came and went over the years isn't right, imo. Glenn was the leader, the founder. The way the remaining members are acting like he's replaceable is insulting to his memory and disrespectful. If you feel differently, though, to each their own. I think we will all have to agree to disagree about this.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan
    The Beatles had already broken up before John Lennon was killed and they had no plans to get back together.
    Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I disagree. The Beatles felt strongly that there was no band without John Lennon.
    Indeed. Both Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have said that they think eventually, the Beatles would have reunited if John and George had lived. However, since they didn't... no Beatles without them.

No touring with Julian Lennon and Dhani Harrison and making loads of money from people who would show up anyway even though, of course, it wouldn't be the same.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

ltef - I'm glad if you are able to enjoy the concerts now. You are not alone. But, there are many of us that simply don't approve of this under any scenario and we are not alone either. All of the arguments on both sides of the issue have been discussed repeatedly, and I'm pretty sure repeating them will not change anyone's minds so I'm not going to. It may be disappointing that fans are divided, but that's on the band and the outcome was inevitable when they moved forward. However, if we fans are tolerant and try to understand both sides of the issue, we can focus on what unites us, not what divides us.

I think they have an appropriate recognition of Glenn in their current concerts - not sure what people want or expect beyond what they are doing.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think most of us have already answered this, but for starters, what about a dedication to him to acknowledge his enormous contributions - maybe a short tribute video and then dedicate a song to him with some spoken words from Don, Tim, and Joe - Is that really too much too ask? I'm sorry, but his son saying a few words and then putting a picture of him on screen for a few seconds takes no effort at all from his fellow bandmates. It comes across to some of us as disrespectful and sells Glenn waaayyyy short of the recognition he deserves. And, of course, ultimately, what about a tribute concert in his honor? To me, this is the kind of decent respect that should be done automatically - not something fans should have to beg for or suggest.

The Beatles had already broken up before John Lennon was killed and they had no plans to get back together. In the case of the Eagles, they were still together as that group with apparent plans to continue as Glenn mentioned to Bernie at the end of the HOTE tour, "This isn't the end." Were the Beatles still together at John's death, maybe something different would have happened.
    The Beatles were young men when they broke up just like the Eagles were in 1980. If John Lennon had lived, maybe they would have eventually reunited - we'll never know. But if they had gotten back together, I'm pretty sure that fans would have been elated, just as what happened with the Eagles in 1994. However, John Lennon didn't live and the band then retired for good. When Glenn told Bernie "This isn't the end", I'm pretty certain he didn't know he was going to die. So when he did, many of us fans held the Eagles to the same standard that The Beatles followed. Obviously, others, including the band did not, in spite of their earlier proclamations that they were over.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    ltef - I'm glad if you are able to enjoy the concerts now. You are not alone. But, there are many of us that simply don't approve of this under any scenario and we are not alone either. All of the arguments on both sides of the issue have been discussed repeatedly, and I'm pretty sure repeating them will not change anyone's minds so I'm not going to. It may be disappointing that fans are divided, but that's on the band and the outcome was inevitable when they moved forward. However, if we fans are tolerant and try to understand both sides of the issue, we can focus on what unites us, not what divides us.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think most of us have already answered this, but for starters, what about a dedication to him to acknowledge his enormous contributions - maybe a short tribute video and then dedicate a song to him with some spoken words from Don, Tim, and Joe - Is that really too much too ask? I'm sorry, but his son saying a few words and then putting a picture of him on screen for a few seconds takes no effort at all from his fellow bandmates. It comes across to some of us as disrespectful and sells Glenn waaayyyy short of the recognition he deserves. And, of course, ultimately, what about a tribute concert in his honor? To me, this is the kind of decent respect that should be done automatically - not something fans should have to beg for or suggest.

The Beatles were young men when they broke up just like the Eagles were in 1980. If John Lennon had lived, maybe they would have eventually reunited - we'll never know. But if they had gotten back together, I'm pretty sure that fans would have been elated, just as what happened with the Eagles in 1994. However, John Lennon didn't live and the band then retired for good. When Glenn told Bernie "This isn't the end", I'm pretty certain he didn't know he was going to die. So when he did, many of us fans held the Eagles to the same standard that The Beatles followed. Obviously, others, including the band did not, in spite of their earlier proclamations that they were over.
    Although I think they should do more in their concerts, it is after all a concert. It’s not supposed to be funeral like. They are in high demand, people want to see the music not think about the sadness of Glenn’s passing