Page 55 of 92 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    I suppose you mean me, since I mentioned that I loved Vince's version of the song in the concert thread. How passive-aggressive of you! I don't remember ever criticizing Glenn Frey for singing that song but since you mention it, Vince Gill does have the ability to sing really high and Glenn Frey did not. I loved him and his songs, but a high tenor he was not.
    Glenn's voice was fine the way it was. I agree with FP here. People wouldn't accept Glenn singing it but seem to be fine with Vince singing it. I prefer Glenn's voice and find it to be better than Vince's.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Glenn Frey was in a class all his own.
    Amen!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    ltef - I'm glad if you are able to enjoy the concerts now. You are not alone. But, there are many of us that simply don't approve of this under any scenario and we are not alone either. All of the arguments on both sides of the issue have been discussed repeatedly, and I'm pretty sure repeating them will not change anyone's minds so I'm not going to. It may be disappointing that fans are divided, but that's on the band and the outcome was inevitable when they moved forward. However, if we fans are tolerant and try to understand both sides of the issue, we can focus on what unites us, not what divides us.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think most of us have already answered this, but for starters, what about a dedication to him to acknowledge his enormous contributions - maybe a short tribute video and then dedicate a song to him with some spoken words from Don, Tim, and Joe - Is that really too much too ask? I'm sorry, but his son saying a few words and then putting a picture of him on screen for a few seconds takes no effort at all from his fellow bandmates. It comes across to some of us as disrespectful and sells Glenn waaayyyy short of the recognition he deserves. And, of course, ultimately, what about a tribute concert in his honor? To me, this is the kind of decent respect that should be done automatically - not something fans should have to beg for or suggest.

The Beatles were young men when they broke up just like the Eagles were in 1980. If John Lennon had lived, maybe they would have eventually reunited - we'll never know. But if they had gotten back together, I'm pretty sure that fans would have been elated, just as what happened with the Eagles in 1994. However, John Lennon didn't live and the band then retired for good. When Glenn told Bernie "This isn't the end", I'm pretty certain he didn't know he was going to die. So when he did, many of us fans held the Eagles to the same standard that The Beatles followed. Obviously, others, including the band did not, in spite of their earlier proclamations that they were over.
    I agree with every point. I have a feeling if John had lived they would have reformed. So it's not a good comparison IMO that they had stopped before John died. I along with Soda strongly believe they would have reunited at some point.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Glenn's voice was fine the way it was. I agree with FP here. People wouldn't accept Glenn singing it but seem to be fine with Vince singing it. I prefer Glenn's voice and find it to be better than Vince's.
    I really liked Glenns version of Take It To The Limit but I think Vince is singing it in a way that has been done in 40 years. It’s exciting for those who want to see a Randy like version but never will

Banned

Glenn's voice was fine the way it was. I agree with FP here. People wouldn't accept Glenn singing it but seem to be fine with Vince singing it. I prefer Glenn's voice and feel it to be better than Vince's.
    Misdirection. You twisted what I posted to turn it into a criticism of Glenn Frey. I did not say Glenn's voice was not fine the way it was. I said he was not a high tenor, like Randy Meisner and Vince Gill. Their sound is apples and oranges.

IMO, some of you are in so much pain due to your mourning that you simply cannot control your acrimony towards those who are not hurting the same way. I try to understand, I hate it for all of you, and I don't want to add to your pain, but the current bitter climate of this board is horrible. I can't wait for it to blow over. One can't even make a simple comment without some bull**** raining down.

Stuck on the Border

I agree with every point. I have a feeling if John had lived they would have reformed. So it's not a good comparison IMO that they had stopped before John died. I along with Soda strongly believe they would have reunited at some point.
    I prefer to stay out of this Beatles discussion, but I will say that according to George Martin John was talking to him about re-recording Beatles songs shortly before he died. I don't remember if John was talking about all the songs, but a lot of them anyway. "Even Strawberry Fields?", Martin asked. John raised his glasses, looked at Martin and said "especially Strawberry Fields".

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Misdirection. You twisted what I posted to turn it into a criticism of Glenn Frey. I did not say Glenn's voice was not fine the way it was. I said he was not a high tenor, like Randy Meisner and Vince Gill. Their sound is apples and oranges.

IMO, some of you are in so much pain due to your mourning that you simply cannot control your acrimony towards those who are not hurting the same way. I try to understand, I hate it for all of you, and I don't want to add to your pain, but the current bitter climate of this board is horrible. I can't wait for it to blow over. One can't even make a simple comment without some bull**** raining down.
    I didn't say that you thought his voice was bad.

I'm just saying my thoughts is that Glenn singing TITTL was fine and you didn't need to be a high tenor to do so, in that in fact I like Glenn singing it and more than Vince Gill. I just said that Glenn's voice was fine the way it was. I didn't ever expect him to sound anything but like him. I prefer his voice over DH too.

As far as the board goes, I'm sorry you feel that way. To me it's unthinkable that this would be going on and that people would be for it. I don't judge them for it but it does surprise me. I don't share your views on the board at all, redstorm.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I prefer to stay out of this Beatles discussion, but I will say that according to George Martin John was talking to him about re-recording Beatles songs shortly before he died. I don't remember if John was talking about all the songs, but a lot of them anyway. "Even Strawberry Fields?", Martin asked. John raised his glasses, looked at Martin and said "especially Strawberry Fields".
    Hahaha. I actually love that song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Banned

I don't share your views on the board at all, redstorm.
    There are a lot of us that feel that way, some just won't say so on here. It's a rough place to be if you still support the band.

Banned

QUESTION:

It's off topic but I can't find the appropriate place to ask. Is there a way to mute the threads that you don't want to see or care about? Thanks!